Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-17-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
hanswurst123
Human being with feelings

Default Defeat Pro Tools with Reaper 6 (OMF & Playlists)

Hi there,

I'm working in a studio for audio in commercials where we all use Pro Tools because of 'standard'. The owner of the studio really likes Reaper and wants to switch. But there's ONE thing which makes him hesitate:

>> The possibility of importing OMF/AAF

I know there's a service out there which can translate those files into a Reaper format but I think he wants something right in the box (because it's easier with NDAs and stuff).
Also he (and me also and I think many others too) would be ok with paying additional license fees for that feature to get activated if necessary.

Is there any chance to get such a feature included in Reaper 6? It would be sooo amazing!

After using Pro Tools for a year now I found another feature which Reaper is lacking - the playlists which are very handy if recording several takes. I tried using the comping feature in Reaper but I have the feeling that Pro Tools handles this more elegantly with several take tracks (like sub-tracks / child tracks).

So whats your opinion on this guys?
hanswurst123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
EvilDragon

OMF/AAF won't happen exactly because AAT exists.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 AM   #3
hanswurst123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
OMF/AAF won't happen exactly because AAT exists.
I meant that by saying: 'I know there's a service out there which can translate those files into a Reaper format but I think he wants something right in the box (because it's easier with NDAs and stuff)'

Edit: It's great that such a tool like AAT exists but I think it would be way more comfortable and professional if AAF/OMF import would be just included in Reaper and you don't have to download/buy another software (which isn't 100% supported on MAC).

Last edited by hanswurst123; 07-17-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Sure, but Cockos is just two developers, and OMF/AAF are extremely complicated (and bugged) formats, and somebody else already did the job. Cockos isn't about do duplicate all that work and leave everything else on the side just because of it. It won't happen, forget it. AAT exists and it works on Mac via WINE so that's that.

The only possibility would be for AAT folks to do a (paid) plugin for Reaper, but that's not their priority either.

Oh and Reaper is not trying to be a replacement for ProTools, at all. That's the most important thing to understand here.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:44 AM   #5
hanswurst123

Quote:
Oh and Reaper is not trying to be a replacement for ProTools, at all. That's the most important thing to understand here.
But it could be - and that would be the most amazing thing to happen!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
EvilDragon

But it most likely won't be... Cockos has different priorities.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
colapirat

I actually agree with hanswurst123 regarding the OMF feature.

I am working in the games industry and Reaper has often proven to be an excellent choice for Game Audio. I see a lot of potential for Reaper to be used in that business as there have been a rising number of posts promoting games in which Reaper was used.
At my company it was only when we would have to do sound design for cutscenes that due to the lacking OMF import function I had to invest a lot more time than my colleague who used Nuendo.
I don't see why it wouldn't be Cockos' priority to offer as many possibilities regarding the pro audio business as possible since OMF is one of the only aspects lacking compared to the big "industry standard" DAWs.
I at least would be very excited to see OMF import functionaliy in Reaper eventually!
colapirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Reasons for not supporting OMF are already stated. Somebody else did the gruesome work of catching all the inconsistencies of OMF and AAF (so much about "standards" because each DAW has different expectations from OMF especially - it's really a bad format), so why should a two-people team do the same thing and waste time that could be used for implementing other more exciting features and fixing bugs, which definitely sounds like a better priority than investing possibly months or even years on end to support OMF (ask Runaway/ Mike from AAT team how long it took them to nail the formats down - I'm finding posts from 2011 about it!)? It just won't happen - unless, as above stated, AAT team makes an extension for Reaper that would basically do the same thing AAT already does.

Use AAT or use another DAW if you depend on OMF/AAF, it's as simple as that.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
colapirat

I wonder why you are so aggressive about it? I thought this forum was about exchanging opinions and excitement.

Last edited by colapirat; 07-17-2018 at 11:28 PM.
colapirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
_Stevie_

Hm well, ARA wasn't on their list either in the past (too complicated to integrate) and now we have it. I know that was mainly Celemony who tailored the ARA2 protocol a bit to Cockos' needs. But who knows, if AAF and OMF will evolve in the future
Old 07-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Hm well, ARA wasn't on their list either in the past (too complicated to integrate) and now we have it.
Ara support wasn't implemented by someone else before.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
airon

Omf/Aaf has been discussed many times here. It’s relevant only for professionals, and they have no problem buying a third party tool.

My experience is of course annecdotal only. I use AAT almost every day. It’s drag’n’drop, has good support and mainly just works as a conversion tool.

“But I can import from OMF/AAF directly to tracks I heard some say. I did that too, but I can’t keep multiple sessions open in Protools, which nullifies that issue for me. Avid only did its own little brand of omf/aaf well, whereas AAT does almost all of them.

If this is your work, pay. Easiest purchase I ever made.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Lokasenna

Why Reaper will (probably) never support OMF:

- As previously mentioned, OMF isn't one format. It's a container, and DAWs can do roughly whatever the hell they want inside that. "Supporting OMF" would actually mean specifically supporting every different version of it, which means essentially rebuilding AATranslator within Reaper. Why would the two developers working on it spend that much time on something where a dedicated product already exists?

- Also previously mentioned - once you've got AAT set up it's a painless, drag-and-drop process. You're buying an external app rather than a plugin, so what does it matter?

These scripts from X-Raym were, in part, paid for by the AAT folks to make the process as simple as possible: https://www.extremraym.com/en/downlo...-attranslator/
Old 07-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #14
Masi

Quote:
Oh and Reaper is not trying to be a replacement for ProTools, at all.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?!? I thought Reaper is supposed to replace all other DAWs.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:52 AM   #15
Runaway

Its all been said before but just in case anyone out there still thinks that there is any such thing as a standard or that any of these 'standards' remain static I thought I'd share this recent gem with you all....

So I had spent several days trying to work out why an AATranslator conversion from a ProTools v12.8 embedded AAF wouldn't relink the media files only to discover that ProTools 12.5 and PT 10 themselves not only couldn't relink the embedded files but also produced an error message.

Always up for a challenge I thought I'd dig a little deeper so I spent a few more hours trying to see if I could isolate the problem.

As it turns out, in PT v12.8 Avid (just for shits and giggles), decided to rearrange the internal 64 digit media identifiers - those Avid geniuses sure have a sense of humour.

Well I must admit I didn't see that one coming ;-)