Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default Show/Hide certain tracks, from toggle button (toolbar), possible?

I want to show, and hide, and show, a parent track including its child-tracks. Back and forth like that.

I sort of got it going already, using 2 different toolbar buttons. One button controls a custom function, which selects the tracks, and then hides the tracks in question. Another button does the "unhide all hidden tracks" to get them back to visible.

But is it somehow possible to have this on a Toggle button? Like on/off?
That would be so much better, and more flexible.

The identifying feature with the tracks I wanna hide, is the name of the parent track. I can't use track number or any other feature I know of as identifier, since every project will be different. But if someone has suggestions on how to put identifiers in place, I'm all ears.

btw, I'm not (yet) into LUA scripting, and Python seems very slow in Reaper, so I have been using custom functions compiled from actions. I can follow and modify LUA scripts rather well though.

Thx for any help
Old 03-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #2
jiff 41

Is the Track Manager of no use to you?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
Is the Track Manager of no use to you?
Oh it is It's just too slow, have to visually find all the tracks in question in the list, and then dot them all out by clicking the TCP column. And then do the same to get them back again.

I like to show/hide entire collections of tracks with a press of a button. Just having trouble figuring out how, without more advanced scripts.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Sweetfoot

I have created a setup to do this. The solution I came up with is to have one set of buttons that show only one folder at a time (just the drum folder, or just the vocal folder, etc.) and another set that adds folders to what you are seeing. Additionally, I have a button that shows all tracks. So in practice, most of the time I am using just the “show only” buttons, but if I want see, for instance, the drum folder and the bass folder, I could press the “show only drums” button, followed by the “add bass” button. This has proven to be very fast for me. But it does require that you use specific names for your folders. If you are interested, I could upload my configuration tomorrow when I’m back at the studio.
Sweetfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
Colox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfoot View Post
I have created a setup to do this. The solution I came up with is to have one set of buttons that show only one folder at a time (just the drum folder, or just the vocal folder, etc.) and another set that adds folders to what you are seeing. Additionally, I have a button that shows all tracks. So in practice, most of the time I am using just the “show only” buttons, but if I want see, for instance, the drum folder and the bass folder, I could press the “show only drums” button, followed by the “add bass” button. This has proven to be very fast for me. But it does require that you use specific names for your folders. If you are interested, I could upload my configuration tomorrow when I’m back at the studio.
I managed to figure something out that works fairly well for me. But I would love to have a look at what you've come up with as well Send me a PM. Thx
Old 03-12-2020, 03:51 AM   #6
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
I want to show, and hide, and show, a parent track including its child-tracks. Back and forth like that.
But is it somehow possible to have this on a Toggle button?
You can do all this with "screen sets". Have a look at
the manual and search for "screen sets".
Old 03-12-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
nofish

I've set up something like this via SWS cycle actions.
The nice thing is, once set up, it works across projects purely on folder naming convention (unlike e.g. screen sets afaik).

This is just show only specific folder + childs in TCP, hide others (folder named ^drms in the example) but it could easily be made a toggle by adding a 'step' to the cycle action.

(Courtesy of Coachz iirc.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote