Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #161
hammdo
Human being with feelings

Default Somewhat unclear why no files on ebook version...

Purchases Home Recording for Beginners from Amazon, then purchased from Lulu

REAPER Plus! The Power of SWS Extensions and ReaMix: Breaking the Barriers with REAPER

But, no access to the samples or project? Is there a way to get those for the books? I prefer EBOOKs as I travel and IPad is SO much easier to carry the books...

Hate to think I get 'less' when the prices difference is about $3 to $5 less. Any help would be appreciated. Also, purchased my license of REAPER after a review of the product --- very nice.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #162
zappsunzorn

Welcome to the Forum!

Have no fear, I am sure Geoffrey Francis (who goes by the name nicholas on this forum) will get back to you. (He is from Australia so his sleeping patters differ a little from those in the U.S.)

PS: the samples for the main Reaper manual can be found here

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_User_Guide

The links for the others should be in the books, but if they do not work now I am sure this will get sorted out.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #163
Klemperer

Hi hammdo, just checked for you, the "Breaking the barrier" links all work .
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #164
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post

But, no access to the samples or project? Is there a way to get those for the books? .
Links are given in the books, remember they are case sensitive! You have to enter them EXACTLY as shown.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #165
hammdo

I didn't see the links in the Home Recording book but I'll certainly check again. They just referenced the 'cd'.

Glad to see an 'active' forum. I bought several of the books as well as purchased a license for the software. Great product. I have Sonic Producer, MixCraft 5, an a couple of others as I work my way through the various tools. Its part of my 'learning' to use tools as well as the 'process' of recording. I found REAPER very intuitive...

Did get the links from the Breaking the Barriers book -- thanks, the reader by-passed the 'disclaimers' page and went staight to 'reading' the chapters -- forgot that it does that automatically in IPad. I also picked up the REAPER Power! book from Amazon so I can get a 'complete' picture. I treat all of my learning opportunities in a similar manner that I did in college (many YEARS ago ;o). I find learning and reading new things keeps me going...

I can see this product and the support forum has already showed what kind of community there is -- just awesome.

Thanks for the support!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 12-05-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #166
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I didn't see the links in the Home Recording book

-Don
Ah! Sorry perhaps I misunderstood you. You have an e-version of this? I think you're right, there are no links, the e-version was a later idea.

Would you care to PM me with your email address?

I'll send them to you.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #167
hammdo

Default All Good!

Thanks for everyone's help.

Got the files from Geoffrey and I'm on my way!

Looking forward to the journey...

-Don
Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #168
videosonix

Hi Nicholas,

I've just finished the Home Recording For Beginners Course and I'd just like to say it was excellent. Although I had been using Reaper for a few months before getting the book, I should probably have got the book first. I was learning new stuff on each page. It was definitely a fast track overview of all the basic functions of Reaper, many of which I had avoided such as automation and macros.

I'm now thinking of getting Reaper Power. Would you say it is a direct follow on from Home Recording For Beginners? Is there much overlap? Alternatively, should I wait until you have Reaper 3 Power finished? What is the difference between the two editions?

Thanks again for an excellent publication.

Kevin
videosonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #169
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by videosonix View Post
Hi Nicholas,

I've just finished the Home Recording For Beginners Course and I'd just like to say it was excellent. Although I had been using Reaper for a few months before getting the book, I should probably have got the book first. I was learning new stuff on each page. It was definitely a fast track overview of all the basic functions of Reaper, many of which I had avoided such as automation and macros.

I'm now thinking of getting Reaper Power. Would you say it is a direct follow on from Home Recording For Beginners? Is there much overlap? Alternatively, should I wait until you have Reaper 3 Power finished? What is the difference between the two editions?

Thanks again for an excellent publication.

Kevin
Kevin,

Thank you for your kind words.

There is almost no overlap between Home Recording and REAPER Power. The Power book, as its name vaguely implies, takes it up another notch or three.

There's no current plans to up[date it for REAPER 4 just yet, in any event, at least 90% of it will be applicable to 4 as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #170
videosonix

Sounds like a purchase then! Thanks.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #171
videosonix

I've now got a copy of Reaper Power. I was immediatley impressed by its size, weighing in at 420 pages. This will keep me busy for a good few months and it does indeed seem to be a step up from "Home Recording...", as you said.

I'm looking forward to working through the tutorials in Reaper Power and even though I've finished "Home Recording...", I'm still referring to it from time to time for such things as track automation and multiple takes which I found a bit tricky to get into my head at first.

Thanks for putting both of these books out there and making them such an enjoyable and useful read.

Kevin
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #172
Poo11iver

[QUOTE=nicholas;281734]I'm pleased to be able to announce the publication of my new book Home Recording for Beginners.

Great Book! I particularly was impressed with methodology and care of a reader. Is it possible to find anywhere in the net demo RosesBloom.rpp? Unfortunately I don't have a CD. Sorry...
Poo11iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #173
nicholas
Scribe

[QUOTE=Poo11iver;671007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
I'm pleased to be able to announce the publication of my new book Home Recording for Beginners.

Great Book! I particularly was impressed with methodology and care of a reader. Is it possible to find anywhere in the net demo RosesBloom.rpp? Unfortunately I don't have a CD. Sorry...
PM me your email address I'll get back to you in a week ... am away7 in new zealand at presnt ..
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #174
Poo11iver

Default RosesBloom.rpp

Geoffrey, thanks, I've found 'RosesBloom.rpp'.

Again, your 'Home Recording for Beginners' is perfectly, brilliantly written. As a newbie, I've got it over quite easily! And I'm confident enough to start with your 'Reaper User Guide'.

Cheers!
Poo11iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #175
lowellben

Seriously?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #176
lowellben

I just meant "seriously" in a way that was supposed to convey: "Are you seriously asking for this book for free?"

It's VERY fairly priced and well worth it, imo.

Forgive me, but the connotation was clear when you wrote:
Is there another way to get this book, cheaper than the prices you mentioned? Like getting it online and free?

I'll let it be...
Old 07-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #177
nicholas
Scribe

As a footnote to the last few posts ... I am somewhat puzzled as to why somebody would want something like this if they don't think it's worth anything.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #178
deckard

Quote:
As a footnote to the last few posts ... I am somewhat puzzled as to why somebody would want something like this if they don't think it's worth anything.
The book is definitely worth something. . .love the book. . .worth every penny! It's a lifesaver. . .especially for someone like me who has little to no experience working with DAW's (i.e. REAPER).
deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #179
bluzkat

Quote:
Nicholas,

You're a saint!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #180
deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Nicholas,

You're a saint!

+1!
deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #181
Shwing

Default Hi

Hi, I realize that it's 2013 now, but i was wondering if anyone would like to sell their used copy?
I live in Canada
This would be good for someone who wants to make a few bucks, being disabled means I do not have a lot of spare cash..
but I am a Reaper owner and I love it...for me it is a lot less intimating to Cakewalk Sonar, I used to use CW 6-7-8 back in the old days
Glad thing have changed :-)

Thank You
Regards,
Shwing
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #182
Luulox

Hi, Im a total recording noob apart from a rifftracker guitar port that does not really count lol and I just bought a copy of this book and cant wait to get going! Hopefully this will make the proccess less painful!
Cheers
Pete
Luulox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #183
madinorbi

Hi Guys,
I'd like to buy the 60 dollars version, my questions would be:
- if I buy it once I can download it anytime in the following 1 million years, in case if my computer breaks down, or I got a virus and it won't run and have to reinstall

- do I have to unistall the demoversion or not, as soon as I pay, it just turns to be a full version

Thanks and sorry for the amatour questions.

Regards
madinorbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #184
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinorbi View Post
Hi Guys,
I'd like to buy the 60 dollars version, my questions would be:
- if I buy it once I can download it anytime in the following 1 million years, in case if my computer breaks down, or I got a virus and it won't run and have to reinstall

- do I have to unistall the demoversion or not, as soon as I pay, it just turns to be a full version
Hello and welcome,

answers are:

1) Yes (unless something very serious happens to Cockos or to the Earth in the meanwhile...)

2) The demo version becomes full when you feed it the key code you receive after purchase.

Regards,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #185
madinorbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Hello and welcome,

answers are:

1) Yes (unless something very serious happens to Cockos or to the Earth in the meanwhile...)

2) The demo version becomes full when you feed it the key code you receive after purchase.

Regards,
Mario
thanks for the quick response!
All the best!
madinorbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #186
cjaxx 62

Default Many Thanx

Thank you for this and cogratulations I will be ordering a copy I'm a total newbie and I hope your book helps
cjaxx 62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #187
Smurf

I recommend this book to everyone, even if they don't use Reaper...the info is that good IMHO.

This & ReaMix is a complete recording course that i wish I had when I started....er....last year.....
Old 10-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #188
perevodman

Default Newbie question

Hello there. Please, help me.

I'm loading an avi with 3 audio streams in a Reaper, for example. But I see in a Reaper only first audio stream.

Can I use other 2 streams in a Reaper? How can I switch them? Is there such a thing at all? Maybe there are some plugins or scripts?
perevodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #189
stivh

Default Home Recording for Beginners / Reaper Power

Firstly, I'm really impressed with "Home Recording for Beginners". It's the only book of its kind that I've seen that takes the complete Noob on a hands-held tour of the steps needed to achieve good sounding recordings.
The combination of the "control" project (RosesinBloom.rpp) to provide a known starting point, added to the encouragement to roll up your sleeves and record something for yourself and apply what you've just learned was particularly useful, IMHO.

Second, does anyone know the current status of "Reaper Power"? I'd like to buy myself a copy of it, to take things further, but when I look at both Amazon and Waterstones, it is listed as either "Out of Stock" or "Unavailable", and the only copies available are Marketplace ones, either shipped from US, or at inflated prices. Any pointers where to get a copy in the UK, please?

many thanks
Steve
stivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #190
nicholas
Scribe

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately Cengage (who publish both the titles you refer to) have, I think, filed for Chapter 12 bankruptcy, I suspect that they are no longer in production.

However, if you want to take REAPER to the next step, two things you could consider which I think might help you could be a printed, bound copy of the User Guide and a copy of "ReaMix - Breaking the Barriers with REAPER", which goes in depth into mixing techniques. You can find these by following the links in my signature ...

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #191
RobertP

Quote:
Unfortunately Cengage (who publish both the titles you refer to) have, I think, filed for Chapter 12 bankruptcy, I suspect that they are no longer in production.
I have both books, hard copies, which are well thumbed and heavy with post-it notes. Excellent for beginers and others alike.

Just out of curiosity, when this happens, who retains the copyright. Do you still have it nicholas, or the ex-publisher, or whoever buys anything to do with the ex-publisher?

Bankruptcy can take a very long time to get resolved
Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #192
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc100 View Post

Just out of curiosity, when this happens, who retains the copyright.
As far as I know, I still own the copyright ... but I don't want to embroil myself in a legal minefield!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #193
stivh

Quote:
Hi Steve,

However, if you want to take REAPER to the next step, two things you could consider which I think might help you could be a printed, bound copy of the User Guide and a copy of "ReaMix - Breaking the Barriers with REAPER", which goes in depth into mixing techniques. You can find these by following the links in my signature ...

Cheers!
Brilliant! Many thanks for the info and pointers. I'm feeling really lucky to have happened across Reaper bundled with a guitar interface,and even luckier to have picked a really good tuition book in HRfB :-) (although, of course, it's sad to hear of the bankruptcy).

cheers
Steve
stivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #194

Default Newer Than a Newbie

I'm sure you've heard this story before.....but! I decided that I wanted to start recording my song ideas at home, so...I went to the box store and bought some speakers, a novation launchkey 49, an interface and some headphones. And of course I purchased Reaper. I read through the first 30 pages of the Reaper Manual and still don't know what I'm doing. So many questions and so little time! Can I plug the launchkey into the USB directly? Do I need ASIO drivers? Should I just pay some 16 year old Geek to interpret it all for me or will THE BOOK give me all the answers. If THE BOOK can at least get me started with the keyboard and Reaper, I will be forever thankful. Please be gentle, this new endeavor has already kicked my butt.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #195
zappsunzorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Do I need ASIO drivers?
It depends on your needs and what you would like to do. Try Reaper with the normal computer audio outputs and see if that is all you need. If you just plan to use the keyboard, and you are not getting a bad delay between hitting the key on the keyboard and hearing it in Reaper that should work fine.

If you want to reduce the latency, when you are playing, an ASIO driver could reduce the latency on the audio output. ASIO for all is a free download and could help. If you plan to use a microphone I would suggest getting an interface that uses ASIO instead of the computer's mic input.
http://www.asio4all.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Should I just pay some 16 year old Geek to interpret it all for me or will THE BOOK give me all the answers.
I do not own the book, but I have looked at it, and it looks very helpful. It does use an older version of Reaper but I am sure about 85% is still the same. If you want to you can use the version the book was written for easily. Most software does not allow access to older versions so easily.

http://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have in the future here on the forum.

Edit: I misread and see that you have an interface already. It almost surely uses ASIO. If it has midi inputs you can use them, or the USB for your keyboard.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #196
bmegamen

Default buying the book right now

Buying the book on amazon right now!
I am a complete newb on DAW but from all the great reviews about the book, I'm sure I can figure out how to use Reaper with the book.
bmegamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #197
bmegamen

sorry for the double post but look what came in the mail today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0284[1].jpg (60.8 KB, 320 views)
bmegamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 AM   #198
yusbar

Default Home Studio

Set up a home studio is definitely very fun ...

yusbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #199
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmegamen View Post
sorry for the double post but look what came in the mail today:
To be closely followed by "Home Photography For Beginners"

Sorry, just ignore me.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #200
DiscoJag

Hi ! I just bought REAPER Power! off Amazon and downloaded it to my Kindle. I started reading it and realized I didn't get the sample projects that come on the CD. Would it be possible for me to get these to download ? I'm a newbie and need all the practice I can get. I have used a Cubase LE DAW, but it seemed to quickly overwhelm the capabilities of my computer and left me very frustrated. REAPER seems to be much better at using computer resources. TIA.
DiscoJag is offline   Reply With Quote