Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
psingman
Human being with feelings

Default Project playing back delayed while scrolling?

Hi, thanks to your help and a finally cooperative computer I got that song out that someone wanted to put on their next CD. So, today another snag cropped up. When I was recording my next song, it wouldn't start playing back right away when scrolling through the tracks.

What gives, how come all of a sudden, there is like a two second lag before it kicks in and the scroll bar is already about a measure or two beyond what is playing back. I am sure, as usual, there is a simple fix, but tried it on another already recorded song and it is doing the same thing, hmm, oh well, please get back when you can, so I can get rid of this lag, thanks, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
psingman

Wow, seems I am having a difficult time getting help or info from this forum nowadays. Anyway, spent the last two days analyzing what is going on with my recordings in Reaper. Well, it turns out it is mainly a USB problem. We narrowed it down by trying the same setups on my studio computer in the cellar.

So, here is my take after rounding the learning curve. USB is a really unreliable format to record audio. My little firewire interface in the cellar could handle way more tracking and mixing. The USB interacting causes small dropouts which in turn affects other recording actions. Also, latency from hitting spacebar to playback or various recording setups like midi recording, like overdubbing are compromised by this USB format.

I sort of knew something was causing the hindering but wasn't sure. My old M-audio Audiophile 2496 never gave me fits like this. I am going to have to make some decisions about what interface to go with now, as I am in the midst of a major songwriting move and was getting some tracking done until these last set of complications, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #3
trevlyns

Interesting - I recently 'up-graded' my old firewire Focusrite Sapphire LE for a USB Focusrite Solo - I only record one instrument at a time and don't need a 6 in 8 out interface. But yeah, I've noticed the lagging in the scrolling too. Maybe time to change back...