Old 11-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #41
SteveMac
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
@guitarwiz1 & SteveMac

Another solution would indeed be to create the subfolder from scratch with the path mentioned above and directly put the 4 toolbars .ReaperMenu files joined with the theme and try to load theme with the same command.

Hope this will help. Let me know how things evolve...
I don't mean to be dense :-) so if you can endure a follow-up question. Before writing I tried creating the MenuSets subdirectory and put the 4 files in their BUT am willing to consider I put a space between Menu and Sets, so I'll try that again.

What I'm writing about here is your comment "and try to load theme with the same command" -- The Options>Customize menus/toolbars" command and window is really not intuitive for me, and I thought (until opening it) that I was reasonably tech-savvy :-).

So if I can trouble someone for the specifics of exactly what to do in Options>Customize, i.e., do I load the Abbey Road Theme zip file that way or just drop it in where all the other themes are? I ask because the themes I downloaded that do not have menu sets all work fine by just being pasted into the theme folder.

Thank you very much; I appreciate all the help.

Steve
SteveMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 AM   #42
wallace

This is a really good looking usable theme.
Any chance of a version for lower res screens?

I'm currently on 1600x1200 and it's not really workable at that res (at least for me).

Wallace.
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #43
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
This is a really good looking usable theme.
Any chance of a version for lower res screens?

I'm currently on 1600x1200 and it's not really workable at that res (at least for me).

Wallace.
It wouldn't look the same AND it would mean starting over the theme again. You just can't bring the Abbey Road console in a small room without breaking it. ;-)
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #44
ivansc

I am on a pair of 1920x 1200 scereens and it works fine.

Especially with my crap eyesight!
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #45
hopi

just a side note:

Last night I watched a couple PBS TV shows about the Beatles... one was a detailed show about how their two 4 track tape consoles were used to create the complex mixes for Strawberry Fields... and a few other tunes...

So there were lots of moments of this actually console in use...

I don't have the title of actual program... yet...

anyway... fun to see in light of this theme
Old 11-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #46
Giovanni_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post

So there were lots of moments of this actually console in use...
Of course. The Beatles recorded 13 studio albums, and 12 of them were recorded and mixed using REDD consoles. Their last album (Abbey Road) was made with the TG12345 console.
Giovanni_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #47
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni_B View Post
Of course. The Beatles recorded 13 studio albums, and 12 of them were recorded and mixed using REDD consoles. Their last album (Abbey Road) was made with the TG12345 console.
I see you know much more about it than I do... which is not hard since I don't know much... hahaha....

I have known how much they might have just about killed to have any of our current DAW's on hand...

I'd bet they would have really complained about the contrast of a given theme being too light or dark or whatever... [Joe King]

It is interesting in that documentary to see a bit of what they had to deal with to record and mix on two four track tapes...

On the other hand... most of us would about kill to have a studio space like they had...again, hahaha
Old 11-30-2017, 02:18 AM   #48
ivansc

Yeah it really IS "allabouda place", isnt it?

I have been lucky enough to record in some of the besdt known spaces in USA and UK & it is incredible how much difference the room makes.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #49
benf

Quote:
I have known how much they might have just about killed to have any of our current DAW's on hand...

It is interesting in that documentary to see a bit of what they had to deal with to record and mix on two four track tapes...
I'm asking myself if they have had the same musical creativity with all the things we have on our computers...
Old 11-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #50
Giovanni_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
I'm asking myself if they have had the same musical creativity with all the things we have on our computers...
That's a good topic, for another thread maybe.

I love to write about The Beatles. I have a blog (in spanish), and the last entry I wrote is about the studio effects they used, from echo chamber to ADT, varispeed, reverse tape, etc.
Giovanni_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #51
benf

Unfortunately, I don't speak spanish, but if you like Beatles, here is a Beatle-like song I made : https://benest.bandcamp.com/track/this-dream
Old 12-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #52
cubic13

@SteveMac

Sorry for the late answer... What I was suggesting is the following :
1) If you haven't yet (but it seems that you have...) put the four .ReaperMenu files bundled with the theme in the \MenuSets subfolder of your Reaper installation, do so.
2) Using the Options>Customize menus/toolbars... command, you'll see in the opened window, first, a selector which allows you to choose on what any editing is supposed to be applied and, second, an Import... button that allows you to load any menu or toolbar for the chosen object in the selector. From which, with this button, load for :

Main toolbar ---> RE[a]DD_MainToolbar.ReaperMenu
Floating toolbar 1 (toolbar 1) ---> RE[a]DD_Toolbar1.ReaperMenu
MIDI piano roll toolbar ---> RE[a]DD_PianoRollToolbar.ReaperMenu
MIDI event list toolbar ---> RE[a]DD_EventListToolbar.ReaperMenu

Then close this window. You should have now all the four toolbars bundled in the theme appearing and functional.
Hope this will solve your issue...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #53
cubic13

Default v 1.20 update is in the stash...

Another update, mainly to answer, first, to RobertP inquiry (post #33) and, second, to the observations made about the use of this theme with a 1080 pixels monitor resolution.

1) I made several changes in the mixer management that allowed me to gain nearly 80 pixels for the minimal height of the mixer. It's not perfect : the user will still see a part of the extended area of the mixer when no track icon is used, as I had to take account of the fact that any track icon is displayed with no less than 96 pixel rows in this theme. This is not avoidable : we cannot, as themers, do anything about the height of it, as it is directly dependent of the overall mixer window one. I'm still wondering why, as the bundled Reaper track icons are all on a 64x64 pixels format, the display of them are expanded as much, with a doubtful result, but well... Another UI quirk to add to an already long list...

However, I think that the changes made will allow a more comfortable use of this theme with a 1080 pixels high monitor resolution (I hope so, at least...).

2) I also made few more graphical adjustements here and there.

So, let me know how all this behaves, especially when using a vertical 1080 pixels monitor resolution.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #54
hopi

seems to be OK here with the update...
thanks as always %^)
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 AM   #55
RobertP

many thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #56
Solar

@cubic13

This is one of your finest beautifully and well executed theme mate. I swear, using it now and it's a gem.

One thing if I may suggest that I think would a great add-on is to keep it as is but make new Color alteration version of the same Theme. Lets say a Darker black or blue version or darker brown version etc.. if you know what I mean. I think that would set this Theme to be a very versatile theme. Just like when you're using Ableton and you can just use the same theme but change colors or the overall.

NO rush, if you feel like it as well would be much appreciated

Again Kudos and thanks for sharing '-)

Best,
Old 12-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #57
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@cubic13

This is one of your finest beautifully and well executed theme mate. I swear, using it now and it's a gem.

One thing if I may suggest that I think would a great add-on is to keep it as is but make new Color alteration version of the same Theme. Lets say a Darker black or blue version or darker brown version etc.. if you know what I mean. I think that would set this Theme to be a very versatile theme. Just like when you're using Ableton and you can just use the same theme but change colors or the overall.

Best,
Hey, I was thinking the same thing! Like a small tint variation, something easy to execute, that just involves a batch processing of all the images.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #58
cubic13

@Solar & krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@cubic13

Best,
Thanks !

About the different tint versions, why not ? There are three ways to deal with this :

1) Make new themes which would have different background tints. Quite easy, but this means that there would be as many themes as different tints involved...

2) Make a pack with several sets of files needed to make the theme significantly different. The problem is to be sure that all the files of a given tint would be changed in one pass (including the ones which are in layouts subfolders). So yes, this would involve scripting. I'm afraid that LUA won't be up to the task, as there are no true file management functions in it, afaik. From which, it lets only the WSH (Windows Script Hosting) option, and its execution would have to be done outside Reaper. Beside this, OSX users would be left out of the way, as I don't even know if OSX has this kind of scripting feature.

3) a last way would be to make a version with three or four tints, but it would need several .7z files. Never did this, but why not ?

I'm going to think a little more about this, to see what could eventually be done in practical terms.

Last edited by cubic13; 12-09-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #59
krahosk

Wow, thanks Cubic for even considering! :-) It would involve as you say as many themes as there are tint variations. No problem if it not possible.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #60
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Wow, thanks Cubic for even considering! :-) It would involve as you say as many themes as there are tint variations. No problem if it not possible.
Well, as it is doable. The problem is to make my mind about how to implement two or three additional tints and, once done, which ones... Suggestions welcomed, by the way, knowing that the actual panel background tints is varying between RGB 192/181/168 and 165/157/148.

It will not be in the following days, though. Have a RE[a]DD update to finish first...
Old 12-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #61
Solar

Yeees indeed big thanks @cubic13 for considering and laying out the options as they all don't seem to be easy. But again, no rush, take your time as we know these revisions or new color themes do take time to do as you have to double check that they apply to all little details of the main theme. Totally hear you on this. thats why, we appreciate your consideration but no rush.

Looking forward to it.

Best and happy holidays to ALL, enjoy with moderation

PEace ;-)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #62
krahosk

I think the main thing is what tint variation to settle on and that you could do.
What about suggesting a few and pick just one that's most popular according to forum vox populi?

- darker and more grey
- more blue
- more brown
- your suggestions are welcome

My preference is just more grey overall and slightly darker.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #63
cubic13

Hi again, mates !

Just noted your suggestions, krahosk, even if I'm not really enthousiastic about the blue one... Actually, I think that a lightly more grey and darker tint would indeed be the most appropriate as a first mod ; something like the grey tint used as default in the Re[a]DD project theme.

Let's see if there are other ones...
Old 12-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #64
Jimmy James

This theme has to be Theme of the Year. I have been using it a lot. I have not done much tracking on it yet. But I have done some mixing. I do miss having a blank channel to break up my sections in the mixer. But other than that this is very amazing!
I am going to do some tracking on it after the new year. You did a great job of catching the vintage vibe and modern appointments.
Nothing looks out of place. All the colors blend in. Everything is super crisp and neat.
You have made something that can be built upon here. I could see many versions over time. Or just this version would be plenty. I mean this in the best way. You pushed the envelope with this.
Abbey Road Amazing!
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #65
SwampDonkey

Amazing work. Thank you op! Now if only there was a 200% zoomed version. (Anyone?)
My main theme now.
SwampDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #66
krahosk

Abbey Road is still my default theme!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:11 AM   #67
cubic13

Thanks to you three ! Approciated, as it's obvious that I didn't put this one in the stash for nothing...

I made my mind, I think : other background tints will be done with added themes. I could make a huge theme which would implement them all but it would mean a lot of added layouts and would also lead me to post the whole thing as a .rar or.7z archive : I'd prefer to keep the .zip format as it's the most universal one (at least, on a Windows based setup).

This said, I will begin to test different tints in the following days and post the results here, just to see which ones would be the best for you, users. Stay tuned...

@Jimmy James
I have thought more about the separator and I still have something like 50 or 60 kb left before hitting the dreaded 2 Mb ceiling (as said above, I still would like, as long as I could, to keep the .zip format). So, let me know what would be for you the ideal width for a separator/blank channel strip. There are three ways to do so :
1) Make an added layout with the dedicated mcp_bg/mcp_bgsel.png files needed but I will have to limit its width to something like 20 or 25 pixels, as this order of values would allow me to add without too much problems the files needed.
2) Use the existing files, this, while shrinking the width to a much smaller width than the 'Narrow' strips one. I'll have to test this to see if it's graphically acceptable.
3) Same thing, but with the same width as the 'Narrow' strips one.
I'm hesitating, I admit...
Old 12-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #68
hopi

let me add to the confusion... LoL

IMHO separators work best when they exist in several sizes, ...this is especially true for the MCP... and somewhat less important for the TCP

I say this because [as Cubic knows] I most often have the MCP set up as a track inspector at the left of the TCP panels....
Now this only works elegantly when the MCP panels are all the same width...
Unfortunately reaper is not smart enough [yet!] to automatically adjust the track inspector width to whatever the MCP layout for a given track is...
Maybe that will change someday.. but I can't hold my breath that long...

Ok so I would want something like a narrow separator for the TCP but then several for the MCP, each of these would need to be the width of any other possible MCP layout.

OK so ... I hear ya Cubic wanting to keep the file size down for the stash...
...and that you have very little file size room left to play with...

So here is a thought:

What if the 'basic' theme stays as you have it, acceptable file size for the stash... and then:

You provide an additional stash file for this theme that contains the folders and pngs and rtconfig needed to boost the theme into the version with separators...

So then a user go get that file and unzip and add the extra files and rtconfig file and re-zip into a 'ready to use theme'....

It would not be too difficult to create a step by step instruction sheet, even as a .pdf, that could get packaged with the extra stuff...

Don't mind me... just trying to help %^)
Old 12-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #69
cubic13

Grrrr... And I was about to upload an update with added fixes and a 25 pixels width separator for the mixer...

But I see more clearly the need for different separator widths when using the mixer as an inspector, as you do. So OK, I'm going to delay it and add two more separator layouts for the mixer, one with the 'Narrow' layout width and the other with the default one.

Now, how to implement this ? The update I was about to post is 2040 kb, which lets only 8 kb for any additional stuff. From which, I think I'm going to have to upload it, when the separators will be done, as a .7z format one with probably two files. It's probably the only solution left, as I don't think that uploading the involved folders and rtconfig.txt separately would be a viable solution, seeing that even the toolbars already bundled with the theme are giving headache to some about what to do and where to place them...

Last edited by cubic13; 12-27-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:42 AM   #70
cubic13

Default v 1.30 is in the stash...

Good news, hopi : I managed to keep the theme under the 2Mb ceiling. I was expecting that the changes needed in all the involved mcp_bg*.png files for a correct display of the separators would have taken at least something like 20-30 kb. Actually and surprisingly, the whole theme file stayed with more or less the same size, once the changes done.

So, as a result, an added update, as there were things that needed to be straighten up. In this one, I :

1) fixed a nasty visual bug which involved the master track in the mixer : when selected, the dimensions of the added screwed panel in it were changing. This, because I forgot to update the mcp_main_namebg_sel.png file with its unselected counterpart in the last 1.20 update : my bad...
2) fixed the display of peak values in the mixer 'Narrow' layouts. Now, they are readable in the same way as in the default one, without truncation. This, at the cost of a widened display of the midi indicator (which, of course, doesn't behave as the meters... ).
3) fixed the appearance of locked tracks panels : they are now clearly differentiable from the unlocked ones.
4) optimized the mcp.volume control width to allow a more comfortable use of right clicking near the faders.
5) added separators layouts, one for the tcp and three for the mixer : default, narrow and thin (25 pixels).
6) added a 'Narrow - No lines' layout for this kind of mixer strips. Since the beginning of the development of this theme, I have constantly hesitated about implementing the lines joining some controls as in the default layouts. At the end, I did, but still being unable to truely make my mind about this, I kept the display with no lines as an added one.
7) made few more visual changes here and there : envcp and master.tcp headers added, among others.

@users of previous versions : only the ReaperThemeZip file should be updated.

I'm still thinking to make two more AbbeyRoad themes with different tints : so, suggestions are still welcomed, but in my mind, this update had priority. Beside this, let me know what could still be improved...

Last edited by cubic13; 12-27-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #71
hopi

good news indeed!
The separators are great IMHO and they color perfectly... so that adds another way of helping to organize stuff

I and everyone thanks you greatly for your ongoing work...

you have a growing collection of simply wonderful themes

Last edited by hopi; 12-30-2017 at 10:02 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #72
hopi

Cubic... could you check your email plz?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #73
cubic13

Quote:
Cubic... could you check your email plz?
Done, hopi, and thanks for the tip.

I will look at this more in depth and answer you later, as I'm about to leave home for three days. Cheers !
Old 12-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #74
hopi

kewl have a great time and happy nude ears
Old 01-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #75
curse

I'm just downloading this now to go with my Abbey Road TG12345 plug, thanks
curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #76
cubic13

An answer to moe20 who asked me, via a comment in the stash, about how to change the meter strip color. Sadly, it's not doable in the Theme devlopment/tweaker window. The only way to change something about this is doing the following :

1) Unzip the Abbeyroad.ReaperThemeZip theme file,
2) In the resulting AbbeyRoad folder which contains all the graphic files, locate the meter_strip_v.png one.
3) Edit this file as wanted with a graphic software such as Paint.Net or Photoshop (there is a color gradient in it),
4) Rezip together both the .ReaperTheme file and the associated AbbeyRoad folder, rename its extension to .ReaperThemeZip again and put it back in the \ColorThemes subfolder of your Reaper installation.

Hope this will help...

Last edited by cubic13; 01-04-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #77
cubic13

Default AbbeyRoad_Grey is in the stash...

As promised, here is a declension of the original theme, this one being greyish and darker.

The link : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2096/AbbeyRoad_Grey.zip

Let me know how it behaves and what you feel about it...
Old 01-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #78
krahosk

Wow! It looks good on the screenshot. I'm trying it out after the weekend. Thanks a lot for your excellent work and for this variation on the theme!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #79
hopi

I rather like the gray color... nicer on my eyes

I do have a question about the separators...

on some themes, in the mcp you can have a drag to resize the fx and sends section... as I recall there is some problem doing that with both this one and with Redd... and I certainly can understand why cuz of the meters and other controls...

now the thing is this... on the separators, let's say you color one to black
all great on the TCP but on the MCP you get two diff areas of color... one lighter where the meters would normally be and the other real black where the FX and sends would be...

This 'OK' but... to my eye, I do like it better when the MCP for separators is just like the TCP.... totally one single black color panel [or whatever color]

I was thinking this might be possible... then again, might be too much trouble and if so, I surely do understand that.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #80
hopi

Cubic... I did a meters mod so I have a version of gray theme with blue meters and can send it to you if you want it....

I know it might not be OK for the purists... but since some of us like colored meters and since I don't love green....

Oh btw... did the pngauntlet thing on it and it's about 1500 kb... so a lot smaller