Old 09-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
IndustrialOkie
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Loop Problems

Imported some Ghosthack Audio loops into REAPER (IOS) and another DAW this week and no problem. Just tried to import a "MIDI Loop" and the file appears on the track, but I'm not hearing audio in REAPER or the other DAW either. I'm assuming I'm doing something painfully basic wrong here.

I've yet to figure out how to successfully attach a basic iPhone pic here unfortunately, but if I try to import the file as MIDI or audio it always appears in the window as "MIDI OUT".

I can see the MIDI "notes" on the track, but in the smaller track window I see a Blue line instead of the usual Green bars.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have!
IndustrialOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
nait

Do you have some sort of instrument on that track to play the MIDI? By default, if you just drag MIDI into a track and hit play, you won't hear anything because there isn't anything set up yet to play the sound. Try inserting any VSTi on that track. A MIDI file isn't actually an audio file per se, but more like the notes, and such.. no sound, just information like note pitch, volume, length, and such.

Reaper has some built in synths, one of which is ReaSynth. You can test that one out, just to see what I'm talking about.... but it will be verryyyy basic sounding.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
IndustrialOkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
Do you have some sort of instrument on that track to play the MIDI? By default, if you just drag MIDI into a track and hit play, you won't hear anything because there isn't anything set up yet to play the sound. Try inserting any VSTi on that track. A MIDI file isn't actually an audio file per se, but more like the notes, and such.. no sound, just information like note pitch, volume, length, and such.

Reaper has some built in synths, one of which is ReaSynth. You can test that one out, just to see what I'm talking about.... but it will be verryyyy basic sounding.
That's it, thanks so much!
IndustrialOkie is offline   Reply With Quote