Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #81
grinder
Human being with feelings

You can make a pick out of anything and that includes water and gas
Gas may be the more explosive and water more a damper
All jokes aside anything will actually work if the pick or the "string" moves.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:10 AM   #82
Eddy

I started as a classical guitarist so fingers are definitely a different sound to a pick - for a start you can play more than one note at once. For picks on electric I don't care that much but tend to Jim Dunlop Stubby up to about 3mm. For strumming larger and more pliable, but I seldom play strummed guitar.You could always try something like an oud pick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkpWU1epjw

But as far as live playing goes I think you really only have a few genuine options for common picks that will sound different to anyone listening - a hard rigid pointed pick and a wider soft pliable pick. With either of those two options your actual use of the pick will give more variety than some minor variation in the pick itself. I suppose you could go the route of having just one pick action and altering picks to give different sounds - but that would not be very useful musically compared to developing a highly articulate and varied pick technique.

Last edited by Eddy; 09-23-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #83
ieso

Stuff I've been using lately that creates nice tonal variety:

Dugain coconut
Blue Chip Big Jazz 1.7mm
Fender Tortuga XL (these are little firecrackers!)
Petrucci flow
Jazziii 2mm black Ultex with the conical tip
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #84
cremationritual

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
I play hard rock on an electric guitar with EMG81/85 pickups with .09 nickel-based strings and would like to experiment with changing my guitar tone by changing to a different pick while playing. My current picks are jazz ii, and chromacast, both are a type of plastic or resin. These sound different from each other but the difference is very subtle, more on the percussive side, on attack, and also very minor hand adjustment since the size, thus grip, is different. Jazz ii is also a much stiffer, harder material. Which picks to try, to give a very different & noticeable tonal change? (dont say switch to the thumb or switch to hybrid style) If there's a change, it should be distinctive in a recording, and to an audience.

Two examples I recall, both EVH and Page Hamilton recorded and performed with metal picks for some time. Listening to recordings though, I'm not sure I would be able to pick out the difference. (pun intended) However I notice when I switch pick types that my expressivity changes, from the grip, so ultimately the difference could be related to that for me.
I play metal with all active pickups and these delrin Dava picks are the shit.
https://www.davapick.com/buy/picks/rock_control_delrin
cremationritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #85
JeffreyET

Well hippies made sandals out of tire rubber years ago, why not picks? If you don't mind them being 8-10mm thick that is.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #86
koldobrew

A pick is the cheapest, easiest and fastest way to change the sound of your guitar. Just take about five picks of different thicknesses, materials and shapes of edges and tips, and compare the sound. You don't even have to chase exotics - glass, wood, etc. In my experience, a thin plectrum adds percussion to the sound, a thick one adds warmth. I bought mine at https://ironageaccessories.com/. And of course, even with a single plectrum you can experiment with the sound. I just change the angle between the plane of the pick and the string. If I'm bored with the muffled sound - I take a thin rigid plectrum and experiment with the angle of attack of the string. Try!

Last edited by koldobrew; 06-26-2022 at 07:19 AM.
koldobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #87
garanimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyET View Post
I got a couple packs of Star picks a few years ago with a cheap guitar, I really dig them more than I thought I would. The punched-out 7 point star allows your finger & thumb to contact through the pick and makes a better grip for me.
I really like these, also.

I have a lot of trouble with pick spin and I find it works to minimize.
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote