Old 11-07-2016, 04:43 AM   #1
Hoodee
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer UMC1820 - Is it any good ?

https://www.thomann.de/pl/behringer_umc1820.htm

I'm looking to buy the cheapest possible interface with 8 pres, mostly for when I need to record my band's rehearsals or do some demoing/pre-production work with the clients before they hit the studio. I have this Motu 2408mkII that I use at home or for that kind of job, but so far it's been a pain to move with it cause I need to take the PC with me and an external set of preamps. With the Behringer, I figured I would then need just my laptop and some mics, which would greatly improve my mobility.

Has anyone used the UMC yet ? Or any other Behringer interface? Is it any good?
Hoodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
cyrano

It's good. Pre's aren't excellent, but they are usable at the very least.

I was able to compare Behringer's Midas designed preamp with a real Midas recently. They're very close. The sound is near to identical, but the real Midas has more headroom and a bit less noise at max. gain.

The ADDA is very good. There's nothing that can touch it, price wise.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
ivansc

So that is one half of the equation.
How are the drivers, which IMO has always been the Achilles' heel of most of the budget interfaces out there.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #4
cyrano

I have no idea. It's class compliant, so no driver install required on OSX. Plug in and go. Worked perfectly with Mavericks and Sierra for me.

I've had a look. There seem to be drivers for all tastes of Windows...
Old 11-08-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
Hoodee

Thank you Cyrano for that quick awnser.

I've already had the opportunity to record a live show through an X32, correct me if I'm wrong but it's also loaded with the Midas designed preamps. I wasn't blown away by their sound but they do the trick, if it's the same type of preamps in that UMC interface I'll be more than satisfied for their price (like 275€ on Thomann).
Old 11-08-2016, 03:25 AM   #6
bladerunner

I have a umc204hd and it's - for the money - absolutely excellent. I take it, it shares some circuitry with the 1820. The DAC is very good.. can't really fault it. The driver (on vista for me) has been faultless for the last week I've had it. The headphone amp is fine, the pres (I'm not much of a recording guy really it has to be said) have given me nothing to be concerned about doing recordings of my hardware synths and a few field recording type tasks (I record random noise for my own electronica style stuff). The construction is excellent - all metal case that seems very tough. All the knobs have a weighty, quality feel - much better than any interface I've had in the past (EMU, Lexicon, Tascam).
Old 11-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #7
lolilol1975

Although I don't have one, I second that assessment.
For the price, it can't really be faulted. Now I don't know if the 1820 relates to the 204HD and 404HD or the previous generation which didn't have the HD suffix. And I don't know either what the difference is between the two generation.

If you want better user experience (the famous button that sets levels automatically), solid software (mixer with gate, compressor) and excellent all around latency, you can look at the Roland Octa Capture, but it's already almost twice the price of the Behringer.

Last edited by lolilol1975; 11-08-2016 at 04:14 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:14 AM   #8
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
Although I don't have one, I second that assessment.
For the price, it can't really be faulted. Now I don't know if the 1820 relates to the 204HD and 404HD or the previous generation which didn't have the HD suffix. And I don't know either what the difference is between the two generation.

If you want better user experience (the famous button that sets levels automatically) and software (mixer with gate, compressor), and excellent all around latency, you can look at the Roland Octa Capture, but it's already almost twice the price of the Behringer.
I think the HD just means it can handle higher samples rates (those without HD only go to 48 kHz I believe).

Edit - Ok so the 1820 goes to 96kHz... So, not exactly sure..
Old 11-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #9
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I think the HD just means it can handle higher samples rates (those without HD only go to 48 kHz I believe).

Edit - Ok so the 1820 goes to 96kHz... So, not exactly sure..
Yes you're correct. I think the smaller models have been updated but the 1820 probably didn't need to.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #10
Hoodee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
If you want better user experience (the famous button that sets levels automatically), solid software (mixer with gate, compressor) and excellent all around latency, you can look at the Roland Octa Capture, but it's already almost twice the price of the Behringer.
Nah, I can't really justify putting that much money toward something that I will use only to do demoing and all. 300€ is enough money for that purpose, otherwise, I would just stick with my current setup, even if it's cumbersome to carry it around.

Anyways, now it's just convincing the Missus that I need to spend those 300€
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #11
cyrano

Are you going from balanced outputs on the Behri to unbalanced?

Might need to cut one wire on the XLR side and leave it open in stead of shorting it to ground. The Behri has servo balanced outputs, IIRC and those tend to sound "thin" when you use them like this.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider View Post
Well the manual says the outs are TRS, but they are mono TS. I require two outs to get a balanced stereo signal.
TRS doesn't necessarily mean "stereo".

TRS is used for balanced mono outputs OR for stereo, unbalanced outputs.

TR is used for unbalanced mono only.

If the ring on your cables is connected to signal ground (or you use a TR connector), it COULD cause a thin sound. That depends on the impedance of the amplifier that it's connected to.

With a good servo controlled balanced output it shouldn't matter. But the ones on the Behri are less than ideal and it matters. The same for Focusrite, Yamaha and a lot of others on their budget interfaces. But even RME will tell you to disconnect pin 3, but disconnecting pin 1 should work too, but gives reverse polarity.

You'll also get a 6 dB hotter signal.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #13
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider View Post
I'll have to live with it for now. I don't care to get more adapters. I had enough fun getting the phono to TS adapters I did get. I'm not about to open the box and mess with the electrics either.
You don't need to open the Behri. You can clip the wire in the TRS plug that goes into the Behri, unless, of course, these are molded plugs.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #14
thunderbroom

Default Like mine

I use my U-Phoria UMC1820 for my mobile rig. Have recorded a couple of sessions with it, and it's sounding really good. So far I've done a string trio (cello, viola, violin) and a percussionist, with another percussionist/drummer this weekend. Easy setup, clean, even sounding pres - although I'm not quite ready to commit yet, getting it up and running was a pleasure compared to the Focusrite gear that has been the staple of my studio interfaces for years. Frankly, those are temperamental, especially when you make any changes to your system. On occasion, it will randomly change the drivers for it's own firewire connections.

Anyway, sorry for the unintended rant. The UMC1820 works great for me on a Windows 10 laptop.
thunderbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #15
LoganAtSea

It's been almost three years since the last post about the UMC1820. I just got a new one yesterday and so far, so good, but it's still early. My primary use will be home recording using Reaper on Windows 10.
LoganAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganAtSea View Post
It's been almost three years since the last post about the UMC1820. I just got a new one yesterday and so far, so good, but it's still early. My primary use will be home recording using Reaper on Windows 10.
I bought one a couple of months back and have been using it with the Linux version of REAPER. I also plugged it into my Raspberry Pi for kicks and recorded four tracks of acoustic drums while playing back a track of bass and a track of guitar using REAPER for ARM. Worked much better than I expected.

For the ultra cheep $248 price, I'm happy with mine so far.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
Rednroll

I have a UMC1820. It's a great interface for the $.
The only complaint I have with it are its headphone output jacks. I wanted headphone output jacks since I made a mobile recording setup using this interface, as well I wanted to use headphones at night when the family was in bed. I was very disappointed when I tried to monitor through a pair of headphones connecting to the front panel headphone jacks on the UMC1820. I connected the headphone's out to a pair of JBL Everest Elite 700 headphones, and I have to turn the volume up to max to hear any audio and then I hear more noise floor from those headphone jacks than audio. Very disappointed in that aspect since I own a Behringer headphone distribution amp and it has worked very well. So I know Behringer knows how to make a headphone output, but they seemed to have skimped on the headphone outs for this interface.

It has 2 headphone outputs which is nice, except for the fact they seem to be 2 useless headphone output jacks.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-20-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I have a UMC1820. It's a great interface for the $.
The only complaint I have with it are its headphone output jacks. I wanted headphone output jacks since I made a mobile recording setup using this interface, as well I wanted to use headphones at night when the family was in bed. I was very disappointed when I tried to monitor through a pair of headphones connecting to the front panel headphone jacks on the UMC1820. I connected the headphone's out to a pair of JBL Everest Elite 700 headphones, and I have to turn the volume up to max to hear any audio and then I hear more noise floor from those headphone jacks than audio. Very disappointed in that aspect since I own a Behringer headphone distribution amp and it has worked very well. So I know Behringer knows how to make a headphone output, but they seemed to have skimped on the headphone outs for this interface.

It has 2 headphone outputs which is nice, except for the fact they seem to be 2 useless headphone output jacks.
The headphone jacks are screaming for me. I'm sure you've properly adjusted your monitoring mix, but thought I'd throw it out there, just in case.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #19
sightlessness

Output of those things is hideous. Until I plugged my Scarlett 2i2, my ears were bleeding, or my teeth were screeching, or both.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #20
Rednroll

Quote:
The headphone jacks are screaming for me. I'm sure you've properly adjusted your monitoring mix, but thought I'd throw it out there, just in case.
Well, the monitor out mix bus from my DAW is hitting 0dBFS. Not sure where else I can turn it up further before it reaches the interface.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that I need to find a different pair of headphones with lower impedance which seems ridiculous since I can connect these same headphones to my cell phone and they are plenty loud.

Since these headphones are bluetooth, I even purchased a headphone output to bluetooth adapter hoping that would work but same problem.

Which headphones are you using?

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-20-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #21
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Well, the monitor out mix bus from my DAW is hitting 0dBFS. Not sure where else I can turn it up further before it reaches the interface.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that I need to find a different pair of headphones with lower impedance which seems ridiculous since I can connect these same headphones to my cell phone and they are plenty loud.

Since these headphones are bluetooth, I even purchased a headphone output to bluetooth adapter hoping that would work but same problem.

Which headphones are you using?
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #22
Rednroll

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
Thanks! I think I just found my problem after doing some Googling. I was starting to think that I had a defective unit, but it seems to be due to user error.
https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengine...ck_low_output/

I overlooked the mix control knob which controls the blend of input and playback and it was set to input monitoring only as seen on the pic I posted earlier. When I 1st got it, I installed the drivers, connected it via USB and just plugged in the headphones and overlooked the monitor mix control.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-20-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #23
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I was able to compare Behringer's Midas designed preamp with a real Midas recently. They're very close. The sound is near to identical, but the real Midas has more headroom and a bit less noise at max. gain.
That's about exactly what I found...Will your song be a dud instead of a hit if you use that mic pre vs another? Not a chance in hell

https://pipelineaudio.net/gear-refer...s/mic-preamps/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #24
cyrano

Once you go over the level of the real junk, most gear these days won't be what's keeping you from recording and mixing great music. Even 50$ Chinese mics have reached a level we could only dream of 25 years ago.

And sometimes even the real junk is interesting

Curiously enough, cables are still junk, sometimes. Just purchased a NOS "broken" Sennheiser with a 10 m "pro" XLR cable. The Senn was fine. The cable looked good, but was junk. Hum, microphonic, too much capacitance. And it's the cable. Even the XLR connectors are fine.

It was only 20€ because it was broken. Spent 25 years on the shelf...
Old 09-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
Glennbo

Quote:
My headphone outs are plenty loud and the mix knob threw me at first. I am feeding a 5 output headphone distribution amp as well and they are about the same level.

As for the main outputs, I can drive either set of my nearfield monitors louder than I want to hear them, but I am also using a multi-input active monitor switchbox.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-01-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
pepe44

i can give some input, not much more than has been said i´m afraid. The preamps are usable, they have plenty of gain. the unit is robust, been using on the road, only for SMART analysis and phase alignment on P.A´s .the drivers are very good.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #27
LoganAtSea

My only issue now is not being able to hear browser sounds with the Behringer UMC1820 connected to my Windows 10 laptop. I can hear Windows System Sounds, but I can't hear my SoundCloud tracks (for example), but I'm thinking it's a configuration issue that I haven't been able to figure out yet.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #28
Glennbo

On both the Windows and Linux sides of my dual boot DAW I used the motherboard audio for all sound coming from the OSs and dedicated my UMC1820 for REAPER and other audio and video apps.

I figgered that I would have fewer issues if the OS isn't trying to compete with REAPER or other A/V apps that need access to the UMC1820.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #29
LoganAtSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
On both the Windows and Linux sides of my dual boot DAW I used the motherboard audio for all sound coming from the OSs and dedicated my UMC1820 for REAPER and other audio and video apps.

I figgered that I would have fewer issues if the OS isn't trying to compete with REAPER or other A/V apps that need access to the UMC1820.
The issue for me is that I need to play along with a SoundCloud track, but can't hear it with headphones plugged into my UMC1820.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #30
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
This looks like some great stuff. Where's the details of your setup on how you took the measurements and your audio source signals?

I was looking for the details like, pink noise, white noise, sinewave sweep etc, plugged directly into mic-pre or mic X plugged into mic-pre measuring speaker Y from a distance of Z feet.

I haven't been able to use the UMC1820 as much as I would liked. I've spent a lot of time building a couple rack boxes myself and then wiring up patch bays on the back side of each.

Once I got that all done, I realized my "portable" recording setup was much heavier than I would have liked it to be. So I additionally picked up a Behringer UMC 202HD on Ebay for $60 for a much lighter weight portable recording setup. Basically grab a laptop, plug in the UMC202HD to a USB port, plug in a mic to the pre with a pair of headphones to monitor and I'm set. Behringer has really stepped up their game. Really can't be beat for the price and seems to out perform some of the stuff which is more than double the price. In the past I ran away from anything Behringer aside from a headphone distribution amp. Lately, I purchased a Behringer UMC 1820, UMC 202HD, and an X-Touch One and I couldn't be happier. Plus, I still have money left in my pocket for beer.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-24-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
cyrano

Quote:
Plus, I still have money left in my pocket for beer.
Let's not forget the most important part...
Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #32
Rednroll

Quote:
The issue for me is that I need to play along with a SoundCloud track, but can't hear it with headphones plugged into my UMC1820.
I'm pretty certain for that type of setup you're trying to run, you will need to select the UMC's WAVE/WDM driver in Reaper. I don't think that would be possible using the ASIO driver.

You will then need to select the UMC under the Sound Settings in Windows for Default Input and Output device.

See this video, starting around 2min for the last parts setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DABJYUNY2jw

Essentially if I'm understanding your setup correctly, you are trying to use multiple programs at once to record/playback audio. ASIO has always been limited to one active app at a time audio I/O. The WDM and/or Microsoft Wave Driver adds a software audio mixer at the OS level thus allowing you to use multiple apps simultaneously which are accessing the same hardware, thus allowing you to share audio between apps. The downside is that you get slightly higher latency than using the ASIO driver with that benefit you gain of being able to playback and record from multiple apps at the same time.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-24-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #33
LoganAtSea

Quote:
I'm pretty certain for that type of setup you're trying to run, you will need to select the UMC's WAVE/WDM driver in Reaper. I don't think that would be possible using the ASIO driver.

You will then need to select the UMC under the Sound Settings in Windows for Default Input and Output device.

See this video, starting around 2min for the last parts setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DABJYUNY2jw

Essentially if I'm understanding your setup correctly, you are trying to use multiple programs at once to record/playback audio. ASIO has always been limited to one active app at a time audio I/O. The WDM and/or Microsoft Wave Driver adds a software audio mixer at the OS level thus allowing you to use multiple apps simultaneously which are accessing the same hardware, thus allowing you to share audio between apps. The downside is that you get slightly higher latency than using the ASIO driver with that benefit you gain of being able to playback and record from multiple apps at the same time.
I ended up deleting and reinstalling all the drivers and all is well now.