Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Default Reaper V6 Default Theme - alpha 1.1

Please find attached the latest theme and script versions. Overwrite the old version to use.

Installation

This all makes use of functionality that is only currently present in development branches of the program, which are not included in RC or final releases. Therefore, you must be using a DEV version of REAPER to test this.

Use 'Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder' to open your resources folder. Place the theme (the .ReaperThemeZip file) in the 'ColorThemes' folder. Unzip the contents of script.zip into your 'Scripts' folder.

Go to 'Actions > Show action list'. In the bottom right, click the ReaScript Load button. Select 'Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua' and click Open.

Clearing save files

On installation and/or if weirdness occurs, please go to REAPER resource path and delete 'reaper-themeconfig.ini' ...that will definitely be broken, because I've renumbered some parameters. It will be rebuilt when you first run the latest script.

You might also want to edit reaper-extstate.ini and delete the [Default_6.0 theme adjuster] section.

Changes
- a gazillion tweaks, I've lost track.
- 150% and 200% sizes for MCP and TCP master tracks.
- Updates for recent HiDPI improvements (still ongoing)

Issues
- Drag & drop folder creation indicator is broken.
- Midi editor is placeholder
- many, many niggles.

Please test and give feedback!

I am most keenly interested in testing of the script and the interaction between it and the theme in use. Even if you don't like the theme, this stuff has never been done before so is worth getting right, if only for its potential use in a future theme that you might like

The new white-bar-selection indication needs testing, particularly in extreme corner cases. Dynamic split guys please hammer it!

This is the broad, overall design intent of the theme, which is not going to change. I'm sorry if you don't personally like it; please understand that sometimes a decision just has to be made, now it just needs to be implemented as well as possible and that can't happen without your testing, which is always much appreciated.

Thanks!

--- Update 1.11 --- 15 July

FIXED - tcp_bgsel and mcp_bgsel images have different saturation/brightness levels and different hues
FIXED - cut off text in 3 places on envelope page
FIXED - error when trying to use 'align controls' on B or C layout

--- Update 1.12 --- 19 July

FIXED - Square gap appearing at top left of mixer meter
FIXED - misaligned pan text when track label is vertical

--- Update 1.13 --- 21 August

Flexible resizing Transport

---------
Attached Files
File Type: zip script.zip (118.1 KB, 1263 views)
File Type: reaperthemezip Default_6.0.ReaperThemeZip (1.28 MB, 1542 views)

Last edited by White Tie; 08-21-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
mlprod
Human being with feelings

Just installed this now, but there is no scaling available in the transport section of the script anymore?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
JamesPeters

tcp_bgsel and mcp_bgsel images have different saturation/brightness levels and different hues. The main part of the TCP/MCP have differences in brightness/saturation, and the "ribbon" part (where the track number is) has differences in hue (and a slight difference in saturation).

tcp_bg and mcp_bg images are consistent, though.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
PhelixK

Great, this thing is def. becoming better and better!

Envelopes tab:
I suggest the white bars to be wider (text are cut), see screenshot

Pan & With,
– value still seems to float/stick to right side, should stick to knob or after last element

Custom Colors,
Recoloring a Project will use random tints from Palette.
– I wish it would colorize starting from first tint to last.
– We need an option to make track names always solid white or black (tint can vanish)

*reaper5980+dev0713

Last edited by PhelixK; 08-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
mlprod

In addition to the question about transport scaling, here are some very quick things:

- The blue line "folder drag creation error" is still there.

- Not obvious enough that a track is selected in both tcp and mcp I think.

- Text is overall too dark/grey (ruler/transport etc), some people will have some trouble reading.

- Folder borders in mcp, sometimes i need to close and reopen mixer for changes to happen.

- Is there a reason why we can't tint the MCP channel strips?

- In MCP Narrow, I dont think its good that the fader is replaces by a knob. The mixer should always have faders. Maybe its not possible...

- There must be a plan to allow you to theme other windows such as media item properties and rea plugs etc? I know it is an open door but with a dark theme like this it's just a must for a good ui experience.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
strachupl

Old 07-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Just installed this now, but there is no scaling available in the transport section of the script anymore?
Yes, the whole scaling component has been removed from the script. The old method was flawed, this is the nuclear option. I would welcome any and all discussion on how I address this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
tcp_bgsel and mcp_bgsel images have different saturation/brightness levels and different hues. The main part of the TCP/MCP have differences in brightness/saturation, and the "ribbon" part (where the track number is) has differences in hue (and a slight difference in saturation).
Nice one, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Envelopes tab: I suggest the white bars to be wider (text are cut), see screenshot
Yes, thanks.

Quote:
Pan & With,– value still seems to float/stick to right side, should stick to knob or after last element
This is the same behaviour as V5 and is intentional. The choice is between 'appear in the same place no matter what' versus 'appear near related controls'. Since the tooltip appears by the related controls, this way sort-of fits both requirements.

Quote:
Custom Colors,
Recoloring a Project will use random tints from Palette.
– I wish it would colorize starting from first tint to last.
– We need an option to make track names always solid white or black (tint can vanish)
Ordered coloring seems a little niche, and there are other ways you could do that, so hmmm not really feeling it.

Solid black or white would be a bit extreme, if there are colours that the automated colour adjuster could pick up better, please post 'em!

Quote:
- The blue line "folder drag creation error" is still there.
Yes, this is a known problem. There's even a non-functioning walter element just waiting to solve it...

Quote:
- Not obvious enough that a track is selected in both tcp and mcp I think.
This is the heart of the matter. Can I ask that you use it a for a little longer and see if you continue to struggle with it? There's no right answer here, I do have users who think I have overdone it, so its a tricky decision.

Quote:
- Folder borders in mcp, sometimes i need to close and reopen mixer for changes to happen.
Sounds like a bug; this is new functionality, they are to be expected! Are you able to replicate this in a way that I can show to the devs?

Quote:
- Text is overall too dark/grey (ruler/transport etc), some people will have some trouble reading.
- Is there a reason why we can't tint the MCP channel strips?
- In MCP Narrow, I dont think its good that the fader is replaces by a knob. The mixer should always have faders. Maybe its not possible...
These are design decisions where I am comfortable with the direction we have chosen. Its okay to file some things under 'there are different themes, and mods of themes, for specific users'.

Quote:
- There must be a plan to allow you to theme other windows such as media item properties and rea plugs etc? I know it is an open door but with a dark theme like this it's just a must for a good ui experience.
Not in the near term sadly. The bit ticket UI thing for V6 is HiDPI, that might not seem big ticket but it really, really is. I have an idea of a long term plan for this involving reascript, but shhh don't tell anyone.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Oooh nasty, but I can't replicate this, any tips for when it does it? What's your OS? Anyone else able to replicate?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Oooh nasty, but I can't replicate this, any tips for when it does it? What's your OS? Anyone else able to replicate?
windows7 Reaper 5.8 dev 0712
It appear on small track width.

Also in B and C when you choose to not hide labels in TCP these labels are disappearing/appearing when changing height.

For me changing sidebar/narrow etc. modes in mixer doesn't work, strange things happens.

@Edit
IT SEEM THIS THEME WITH DEV VERSION I USE DOESN'T WORK AS IT SHOULD, IT WORK ON 5.8rc1.

Last edited by strachupl; 07-14-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
strachupl

Wouldn't this script make more sense when it let you change Layout to DEF/A/B/C by selecting track and clicking it?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
Fergler

Wow, the script is awesome. Love the ability to customize by mixer panel being open or not. Really allows easy streamline of two separate workflows and cuts down screen clutter.

Some design feedback for this
Negative space between record and power button there doesn't match the spacing before the text starts, same for track names. The 3d elements with the knob shadow and engraved background is next to a flat and bordered design for the gear and dropdown. I personally think these things should move into the background where the name of the automation is, without border, and the same size as the power icon, and that either the gear or the dropdown would suffice but both are not needed.

On the script side, not enough room for text in the control names here:
https://i.imgur.com/5WUOBt4.png

Alignment of envelope lanes should follow folder nesting?
https://i.imgur.com/yPkfe6h.png

Last edited by Fergler; 07-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 PM   #12
JamesPeters

Another minor thing:

mcp_fxparm_knob_stack.png now has the knob "invisible" (transparent) except for the indicator line.

If that's intentional, never mind. (I prefer it the previous way, but I can always use the old image since I saved it.)
Old 07-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #13
_Stevie_

Quote:

@Edit
IT SEEM THIS THEME WITH DEV VERSION I USE DOESN'T WORK AS IT SHOULD, IT WORK ON 5.8rc1.
AFAIR, RCs are exempt from the dev/pre additions. You need to use a dev or pre.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #14
gappie

with the script>track control panel, choose layout B or C (with A there is no problem), and click on one of the arrows underneath align controls. this gives me

"...ta\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua:474: bad argument #1 to 'ThemeLayout_GetParameter' (number expected, got nil)"

i do like where this theme is going

gab
Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 PM   #15
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Anyone else still having a hard time distinguishing between muted and unselected tracks and items? Selected vs unselected seems a bit better now I think
Old 07-15-2019, 02:46 AM   #16
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
AFAIR, RCs are exempt from the dev/pre additions. You need to use a dev or pre.
But it is opposite, it work on rc and doesn't work on dev (I think this particular dev) version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Alignment of envelope lanes should follow folder nesting?
https://i.imgur.com/yPkfe6h.png
In script go to envelope section and you can change that there.

Last edited by strachupl; 07-15-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 AM   #17
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Great feedback folks, thank you. Please download the new versions from the first post.

Quote:
Fixed in 1.11, thanks!

Quote:
Envelopes tab:I suggest the white bars to be wider (text are cut), see screenshot
Fixed in 1.11, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
not enough room for text in the control names
Fixed in 1.11, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappie View Post
with the script>track control panel, choose layout B or C (with A there is no problem), and click on one of the arrows underneath align controls. this gives me

"...ta\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua:474: bad argument #1 to 'ThemeLayout_GetParameter' (number expected, got nil)"
Thanks, and particularly for sharing the error message. Fixed in 1.11!

Quote:
Another minor thing:

mcp_fxparm_knob_stack.png now has the knob "invisible" (transparent) except for the indicator line.

If that's intentional, never mind. (I prefer it the previous way, but I can always use the old image since I saved it.)
It is intentional-ish. I have to be very sparing in my use of bitmap stacks, because they are resource intensive and this theme has to be as resource-light as possible. HiDPI has enormously increased this, so I'm trying to make savings everywhere I can; one of the ways I'm doing that is by sharing the same param/send knob images on MCP and TCP. That's not so say they both couldn't have the circle outline. I'll take another look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Anyone else still having a hard time distinguishing between muted and unselected tracks and items? Selected vs unselected seems a bit better now I think

Just to confirm, is this not what you're seeing?

Quote:
But it is opposite, it work on rc and doesn't work on dev (I think this particular dev) version.
Quote:
Quote:
windows7 Reaper 5.8 dev 0712
It appear on small track width.

Also in B and C when you choose to not hide labels in TCP these labels are disappearing/appearing when changing height.

For me changing sidebar/narrow etc. modes in mixer doesn't work, strange things happens.

@Edit
It should be working in the dev versions. You are having a number of problems I cannot replicate, it might be very helpful to discover why. Is there anything about your system that you might describe as noteworthy?

For example, I get this:
Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 AM   #18
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

APPLYING LAYOUTS FROM THE SCRIPT

As noted by strachupl, this has been removed. This is a big decision that would benefit from more discussion, I would welcome your thoughts. To recap:

The script previously allowed you to select a size and apply a layout (A, B or C) to the selected tracks on MCP or TCP. The way this worked with the scale functionality was confusing and fundamentally flawed because the script cannot know what size Reaper is drawing a layout after its done its HiDPI thing.

There are also some complicated minutiae about how Reaper regards 'default' layouts, that ultimately can only be accurately represented in Reaper's own layout menus.

So.

What we have here is me trying the nuclear option : if the only place it really makes sense is the Reaper's layout menus, let them be the only place you apply layouts.

I personally find this extremely tiresome and absolutely would prefer to apply layouts from within the script, as I am fiddling with it, even at the cost of it occasionally being non-obvious what's going on with what Reaper regards as the 'default' layout. If you agree, please speak up!

How to deal with the scale thing is a trickier matter. My best guess is to do three buttons: "Apply Layout" "Apply Layout 150%" "Apply Layout 200%". What you actually get would depend on the HiDPI scale you are running at, but that would perhaps be a) obvious and b) easily fixed by pressing one of the other buttons right next to it.

If this were to be done, that would beg the question of whether to also have those three buttons on the docked version of the script, or whether they would be confusing clutter there, which I suspect might be true.

These are contentious decisions so I would welcome your perspective.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:21 AM   #19
_Stevie_

Quote:
sorry, my bad, got it wrong!

@White Tie:

regarding muted selected events: the white border is somehow cut off at the item start and end.
Will screenshot it, when I get home.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #20
mlprod

Quote:
Yes, the whole scaling component has been removed from the script. The old method was flawed, this is the nuclear option. I would welcome any and all discussion on how I address this.
Ahh ok, no idea how to solve it, but it sure is needed to be able to scale this.

Quote:
Sounds like a bug; this is new functionality, they are to be expected! Are you able to replicate this in a way that I can show to the devs?
Ill try and see if I can do this later.
Quote:
These are design decisions where I am comfortable with the direction we have chosen. Its okay to file some things under 'there are different themes, and mods of themes, for specific users'.
Fair enough, but as for text vs background visibility I def think that is not a design type choice, especially for a default theme like this.
Quote:
Not in the near term sadly. The bit ticket UI thing for V6 is HiDPI, that might not seem big ticket but it really, really is. I have an idea of a long term plan for this involving reascript, but shhh don't tell anyone.
Too bad, I hope it gets an overhaul soon then!

Best/M
Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #21
PhelixK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod
Here as well, I have to manually refresh MCP to see any changes. TCP is instant.

(Default 6.0 v1.1.1, macOS 10.14.5 / Retina)

Old 07-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #22
strachupl

Quote:
Here as well, I have to manually refresh MCP to see any changes. TCP is instant.

(Default 6.0 v1.1.1, macOS 10.14.5 / Retina)

Same here 5.8 dev0712 dev0713

I use win7x64 and Reaper fresh portablex64 on Lenovo laptop with additional Lenovo display plugged in resolution 1600x900
Intel Core i7 4710mq 2,5ghz
16gb ram, geforce840m

WT

I will not be useful here I guess as indeed something is wrong from my side, I also have laggy faders in mixer that nobody else have so I will be not good tester here. Maybe my laptop is too old for Reaper.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #23
_Stevie_

@WT:

Here's the screencap of the missing (or maybe too thin?) item selection borders on muted items:

https://imgur.com/wuPPkYr
Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #24
_Stevie_

@WT, found another issue:

zooming in horizontally doesn't work instantly.
You have to execute the action 3 times, in order to see an effect.
Is that on purpose, e.g. will we get an even smaller TCP?

https://imgur.com/O8OUdXQ

btw, dev713 here.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #25
Peevy

The tracks a totally blank for me in TCP when tracks are fully minimized. All was fine in alpha 1.0. I did have a similar problem a few dev versions back but it turned out it was because I had changed the scaling in the reaper.ini file (UI_scale) but this was sorted & working fine after setting back to default.

I've tested it on v5.979+dev0706, v5.980+dev0713 & also run both as
portable installs just to make sure none of my own setting were causing it.

This is using 150% scaling which is just about usable on a 2560x1440 display. It's not happening with the default scaling which is far too small for my monitor. These settings worked fine on alpha 1.0.

Apart from that I'm really liking the v6 theme but I really wish there was a 125% - 135% option, 150% is a bit too big for 2k displays & the default too small. I'm only getting 19 tracks max visible in the mixer & 45 max in the tcp.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #26
JayJSE2

I know this is probably the result of something intentional, but in the whole spirit of being able to customise themes with the script, there doesn't seem to be a way of displaying anything between the track name and the volume fader.

This becomes an issue when you set the volume size to 190 (in order to have a fader that spans most of the tcp) which (on my current setup) creates a blank space around 100px wide (I think) which is roughly the same size as the automation, pan and width knobs combined, but there's no way to move them into that space, instead they're pushed onto the line below.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #27
JamesPeters

Thanks for the TCP/MCP hue/saturation fix. I'm oddly aware of things like that.

Quote:

Maybe he needs to change his grid line settings in preferences (see attached image).

Quote:
For example, I get this:
When I use the settings in the script to make my TCP similar (I had to hide a few things), and shrink it horizontally, I get the same result that he does. I attached images showing the script setting I used to hide the elements I needed to, and a screen shot of my TCP. I tried changing fonts and font sizes, but it seems to look the way he showed and not the way you showed. I'm using Reaper for Linux.

Also note that in the script, the text gets cut off on either side. I know that for Linux, scripts have to be done somewhat differently. I can't say exactly how since I don't write scripts, but I've noticed some script authors (and JS plugin authors) have figured this out. I can point you toward a few of those folks if you want.

One more little thing: I notice that the volume/pan font changes depending on the TCP/MCP color (such that a brighter background gets darker text, and vice versa). Sometimes though the font is very bright white on some TCP/MCP backgrounds, but not very bright on others, making it really stand out on some. See another attached image.

As for the FX parameter knob stack: thanks for the explanation and I understand. I'll try to be patient and see what you come up with before I decide to hack the theme. I can make another suggestion if you're trying to save UI resources and re-use images (you're probably going to hate me for suggesting this): perhaps use the same envelope and i/o buttons for both MCP and TCP. I realize MCP buttons are narrower but taller, and TCP buttons are wider but shorter. Still, maybe there's a way to take a button which is both shorter and narrower that would suit both TCP and MCP. Feel free to ignore the suggestion. But if the idea interests you, I can perhaps help mock up an image for each type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gridsetting.jpg (13.8 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg scriptsetting.jpg (51.1 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg tcp.jpg (28.8 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg textbrightness.jpg (19.7 KB, 488 views)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #28
poplomop

Half of the transport disappears when I click "Show playrate control". And no playrate control shows. Presumably disappeared with the rest of the stuff haha.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #29
_Stevie_

Quote:
i’m also for a button (3 buttons for size), to assign the layout. can’t hurt to have the option in the script as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #30
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:

This is about what I'm seeing, and in a picture like this it looks obvious enough, but in context it seems much harder to tell for me, both are sort of a background type of grey to me
Old 07-16-2019, 01:46 AM   #31
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

As noted by strachupl, this has been removed. This is a big decision that would benefit from more discussion, I would welcome your thoughts. To recap:

The script previously allowed you to select a size and apply a layout (A, B or C) to the selected tracks on MCP or TCP. The way this worked with the scale functionality was confusing and fundamentally flawed because the script cannot know what size Reaper is drawing a layout after its done its HiDPI thing.

There are also some complicated minutiae about how Reaper regards 'default' layouts, that ultimately can only be accurately represented in Reaper's own layout menus.

So.

What we have here is me trying the nuclear option : if the only place it really makes sense is the Reaper's layout menus, let them be the only place you apply layouts.

I personally find this extremely tiresome and absolutely would prefer to apply layouts from within the script, as I am fiddling with it, even at the cost of it occasionally being non-obvious what's going on with what Reaper regards as the 'default' layout. If you agree, please speak up!

How to deal with the scale thing is a trickier matter. My best guess is to do three buttons: "Apply Layout" "Apply Layout 150%" "Apply Layout 200%". What you actually get would depend on the HiDPI scale you are running at, but that would perhaps be a) obvious and b) easily fixed by pressing one of the other buttons right next to it.

If this were to be done, that would beg the question of whether to also have those three buttons on the docked version of the script, or whether they would be confusing clutter there, which I suspect might be true.

These are contentious decisions so I would welcome your perspective.
Uh-oh...

This is an integral part of the CSI design -- well Ok not integral , we can work around it, but Geeeeez, was REALLY hoping for it

Seriously, one the headaches when designing for control surfaces is the notion of indicating modes -- what mode is this surface in ? -- Track? -- FX? -- Sends ?

The ability to change layouts by script allows for fabulous visual feedback -- different layouts for Track, Sends, FX, etc. triggered by script.

Hope it can be allowed back in, warts and all, if that's the only way
Old 07-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #32
Edison

Default Bug?

See the Pic

Edison
Attached Images
File Type: png Transport v6.png (5.3 KB, 665 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #33
+NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
This is about what I'm seeing, and in a picture like this it looks obvious enough, but in context it seems much harder to tell for me, both are sort of a background type of grey to me
How about keeping the wave form in the selected state the same darkness as in the unselected state so it stands out against the lighter selected media item background?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #34
musicbynumbers

Quote:

Awesome! Is that a slight edge around that item too? Do tracks also get that when selected?

Will try out the new theme asap as still on the alpha 1 version here.

Also, as a reference..

This is how Fmod does track and item selection with a yellow box. It's not pretty but it's super clear that it's selected.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #35
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
The ability to change layouts by script... Hope it can be allowed back in, warts and all, if that's the only way
That is not a foregone conclusion - I am a yes, so is Kenny and I take it you are too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by +NRG View Post
How about keeping the wave form in the selected state the same darkness as in the unselected state so it stands out against the lighter selected media item background?
That would make it stand out less as a dynamic action; less would change, particularly with the full-strength custom colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poplomop View Post
Half of the transport disappears when I click "Show playrate control". And no playrate control shows. Presumably disappeared with the rest of the stuff haha.
I've no ideal what that might be, could you post a screenshot please?

Quote:
in the script, the text gets cut off on either side. I know that for Linux, scripts have to be done somewhat differently. ... One more little thing: I notice that the volume/pan font changes depending on the TCP/MCP color (such that a brighter background gets darker text, and vice versa). Sometimes though the font is very bright white on some TCP/MCP backgrounds, but not very bright on others, making it really stand out on some.
I have yet to meaningfully test this on Linux; I have the means to specify fonts specifically for Linux, I just haven't done it properly yet. Last time I looked my choices were a bit limited, but hopefully that will solve much of this.

Thanks a lot for your image, it has allowed me to replicate this nasty. I hadn't realised it was with the name flipped to horizontal. I'll get on the fix!

Quote:
if you're trying to save UI resources and re-use images (you're probably going to hate me for suggesting this): perhaps use the same envelope and i/o buttons for both MCP and TCP.
An IO button at 200% is 8000 pixels. The param knob is 290,000 pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
I know this is probably the result of something intentional, but in the whole spirit of being able to customise themes with the script, there doesn't seem to be a way of displaying anything between the track name and the volume fader.

This becomes an issue when you set the volume size to 190 (in order to have a fader that spans most of the tcp) which (on my current setup) creates a blank space around 100px wide (I think) which is roughly the same size as the automation, pan and width knobs combined, but there's no way to move them into that space, instead they're pushed onto the line below.
Not sure if I'm understanding you; give it a bit of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
The tracks a totally blank for me in TCP when tracks are fully minimized...This is using 150% scaling which is just about usable on a 2560x1440 display. It's not happening with the default scaling which is far too small for my monitor. These settings worked fine on alpha 1.0.
Worry not! This is entirely because the minimum height definition theming doesn't yet respond to HiDPI. So its just culling out 150% size buttons in a 100% sized track. Just a matter of waiting for the devs to get to this, there are a million jobs to do, adding HiDPI functionality to Reaper is a gargantuan task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Awesome! Is that a slight edge around that item too? Do tracks also get that when selected?
I always do that, its just a matter of level of contrast. This is an extremely old discussion we've had many, many times The compromise is this: the more obvious you make the borders, like I'm trying here, you more obvious it is when Reaper fluffs them. As noted by _Stevie_ here, for example :

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Here's the screencap of the missing (or maybe too thin?) item selection borders on muted items:
Now; I know what you're about to say But my job is not "do thing, and then make a feature request to make it not look wrong" its "do things as well as possible making as few feature requests as possible". So the first question is, assuming that, is the occasional fluffed border tolerable at this level of brightness?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #36
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
See the Pic
That's not a bug, its just icon I came up with to represent 'play state as text'. Please let me know if you can think of a better one
Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
ramses

Quote:
This is the heart of the matter. Can I ask that you use it a for a little longer and see if you continue to struggle with it? There's no right answer here, I do have users who think I have overdone it, so its a tricky decision.
I can't tell what's selected and not in many of my projects, small and large. Could anyone make out what track's selected here at a glance? I can't. Same goes for item selection, even though that's a bit better perhaps.

To be able to quickly spot, at a glance, without turning all mental focus to the screen, which tracks are selected or not is, in my opinion, absolutely paramount. No design decisions can be allowed to take priority over this. Track selection is absolutely crucial information.

This really needs to be fixed I think, before the final release. I have my preference on how this would be done - simply don't color the whole panel. Leave a colored strip next to name & arrange window, and then choose, very deliberatly, 2 shades of gray that clearly and unambiguosly communicates to the operator which tracks are chosen and which are not, for the rest of the panel. But I understand that for reasons this will very likely not happen. Still has to be fixed though.
Attached Images
File Type: png Original.png (61.5 KB, 10492 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #38
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
I can't tell what's selected and not in many of my projects, small and large. Could anyone make out what track's selected here at a glance?
Number 3 by white line.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #39
JamesPeters

Quote:
An IO button at 200% is 8000 pixels. The param knob is 290,000 pixels
Ah. I had thought maybe there would be some economy by having the elements being repeated in the TCP / MCP.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #40
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Number 3 by white line.
Yes, I'm aware of the method that's employed. I'm saying it's not good enough, not obvious enough. It takes EFFORT to chase down these white lines. It's draining and it's not communicating crucially important information in a straight-forward manner. I would rather get on with other things, I don't like staring at the screen trying to make out what's selected and not, I have much better use for that focus for other things.
Closed Thread