Old 09-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
maxdis
Human being with feelings

Default 3 kinds of 5

In this new song, entitled "3 kinds of 5", there is a self-made instrument, made with copper tubes tuned according to a pentatonic scale of C major; this instrument plays a loop composed of 6 patterns in ⅝, while the other instruments (bass, drums, xylophone and glockenspiel) outline the 15/4 meter of the song, punctuated with a jungle / drum 'n' bass style.

Last edited by maxdis; 09-01-2019 at 11:57 AM.
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
superblonde.org

youtube playback error. check your link
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
youtube playback error. check your link
fixed, thanks ;-)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
superblonde.org

this is a very good mix. I like the separation of the drums and the r-l balance of tones. the highs are super crisp. the snare sounds especially good.

i'm not sure about the groove because this reminds me that i can't count.

i think I would prefer more dynamics in the wood xylophone if there are originally more (aka less compression) because I like the "floaty" sound of that instrument more than the "aggressive" sound. or maybe slightly lighter playing. but it depends what you're personally going for. I think this also applies to the copper too, maybe a bit too much attack.

edit-you know what my ears think are missing, is a latin shaker, the cylinder with beads Afuche/Cabasa, just sparely to highlight a beat here or there. but maybe those don't exist in the jungle. (maybe used in place of the crash)

Last edited by superblonde.org; 09-01-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
maxdis

The groove is a fast jungle /dnb rhythm, the time signature is 15/4, but the copper tubes are playing in 5/8, so this is a bit tricky to count ;-)
The xylophone is played with no dynamic in this track, I was aiming for a minimalist (in a Steve Reich vein), repetitive feel; I agree that the copper tubes got a little too much attack, but I couldn't find any better suitable beaters at this time (all the others were too hard or too soft).
The shaker could be an interesting idea, although in this track my idea was to feature the bare sound of drums, using the other percussions in a melodic way only.

Thank you very much for your thorough comment and kind words, really appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblonde.org View Post
this is a very good mix. I like the separation of the drums and the r-l balance of tones. the highs are super crisp. the snare sounds especially good.

i'm not sure about the groove because this reminds me that i can't count.

i think I would prefer more dynamics in the wood xylophone if there are originally more (aka less compression) because I like the "floaty" sound of that instrument more than the "aggressive" sound. or maybe slightly lighter playing. but it depends what you're personally going for. I think this also applies to the copper too, maybe a bit too much attack.

edit-you know what my ears think are missing, is a latin shaker, the cylinder with beads Afuche/Cabasa, just sparely to highlight a beat here or there. but maybe those don't exist in the jungle. (maybe used in place of the crash)
Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Stinger

Fascinating, but it begs the question....regarding recording sequence / technique, the copper tubing must have been recorded first, then the drums, base & xylophone recorded separately later...correct? But if so, was the 5/8 beat of the copper playing in the headphones of the other players (all you, I assume - looks like the same person) while those subsequent instruments were recorded? That would be like me trying to record a part for a song, while a completely different song played in my headphones.

"i'm not sure about the groove because this reminds me that i can't count."

If a man who can't count finds a four leaf clover, is he lucky?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 AM   #7
maxdis

Exactly, I recorded the tubes first, then the other instruments; I already knew how the parts worked together, because I composed the piece in MIDI at the beginning...so the real work has been to practice each part listening to the others.
Thanks for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Fascinating, but it begs the question....regarding recording sequence / technique, the copper tubing must have been recorded first, then the drums, base & xylophone recorded separately later...correct? But if so, was the 5/8 beat of the copper playing in the headphones of the other players (all you, I assume - looks like the same person) while those subsequent instruments were recorded? That would be like me trying to record a part for a song, while a completely different song played in my headphones.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
superblonde.org

Quote:

yes if he can recount the tale to his friends later.

ba dum bum pishhh
Old 09-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
prom

Quote:

Yes, he is lucky because it's not about the man, it is about the leaf !

prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
prom

Just listened to "Parallax" album and thought

artists like Eno & Schwalm had better watch their backs!
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post

Just listened to "Parallax" album and thought

artists like Eno & Schwalm had better watch their backs!
Thank you very much, but I don't think they're too worried at this time :-)
I'm very glad you listened and liked "Parallax", I released another album earlier this year, the genre is the same, so maybe you could enjoy this one too: https://massimodiscepoli.bandcamp.co...-the-wrong-map
Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
synkrotron

Hi, Massimo, I really enjoyed watching/listening to this

Nice work with the home made instrument. How did you get on with tuning them? Was it relatively easy?

I fancy making a set of wind chimes using copper tubes... I will get around to that one day.......

cheers

andy
Old 09-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Hi, Massimo, I really enjoyed watching/listening to this

Nice work with the home made instrument. How did you get on with tuning them? Was it relatively easy?

I fancy making a set of wind chimes using copper tubes... I will get around to that one day.......

cheers

andy

Thank you very much for watching and for the kind words!
Tuning the tubes was relatively easy, but you have to be patient and cut off small length of tube each time, always checking with a tuner.
I found great advise on this site http://leehite.org/Chimes.htm along with a great calculator http://leehite.org/Chimes.htm#DIY_Calculators for getting the exact length for each note...but be careful to not to cut at the precise length right away, always keep some millimeters as safety margin, otherwise you'll risk to get a sharp note, and you can't fix that (other than keep cutting and using that tube for the next note...)
I've built another version of instrument in the video using alluminium pipes, and also built alluminium wind chimes: both of them sounds great, I'm planning to use those in some other videos in the next weeks/months.