Old 09-20-2019, 04:07 AM   #1
Andre_h
Human being with feelings

Default Custom Action Question

I use the action "Left click to select item" and then I nearly always want to move the cursor to the start of the selected item. I then use the "Left arrow to move the cursor to the left of selected item" action for that. I would prefer to combine the two actions so that when I left click on an item, the item is selected and the cursor moves to the left edge of the item automatically.

There is no Mouse Modifier that does this. The closest it comes to my requirement is that Left clicking selects the item and the cursor is moved onto the item where the mouse pointer landed when I clicked. This would normally be somewhere between the left and right edges of the item. Of course if I click exactly at the start of the item I want to select, it would work but its often not that easy to do. Especially when the project is large and fully zoomed out or when the tracks are narrowed when the "Edge grab" icon or "Fade grab" icon start to appear under the mouse pointer. Anyway, its quite fiddly to do and its actually just easier to just press Left arrow after selection instead of finding the exact spot of my mouse.

I tried creating a custom action to do that, but I'm having some trouble in making it work. I drag both of the above actions to the right column in the Custom Actions dialog but in order for it to work, I should make the shortcut a "Left click". But Reaper doesn't allow me to do that. It makes no difference if I press "Special key: Enter, Tab etc".

Does anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this? I guess making a custom Mouse Modifier is the way to go but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks,

Andre
Andre_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
hopi

go to pref's then Mouse Mod's and find the one you want...
then in the left clk for that set, use your custom action as the action for it...
you can look up Mouse Mod's in the user's guide can't you?
Old 09-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Pretty sure if you just set an action for the mouse modifier (in this case move the cursor to start of item) the item will get selected when clicking anyway. I think that's hard coded behavior if I remember correctly.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
Andre_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
go to pref's then Mouse Mod's and find the one you want...
then in the left clk for that set, use your custom action as the action for it...
you can look up Mouse Mod's in the user's guide can't you?
Hi Hopi, yes I do know where to find mouse modifiers. As I mentioned in my post "the one I want" isn't there. I was asking if its possible to make a custom action to do what I want. Its all in my post.

But thanks for replying anyway.

Andre
Old 09-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
Andre_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Pretty sure if you just set an action for the mouse modifier (in this case move the cursor to start of item) the item will get selected when clicking anyway. I think that's hard coded behavior if I remember correctly.
Hi foxAsteria, yeah, there is a modifier that selects the item and puts the cursor down where you clicked on the item. I think that's the factory default setting. Would have been great if I could make a custom mouse modifier that takes the cursor to the start of the selected it but that doesn't seem possible. Might be possible to do with a script but alas, I'm no programmer...
Old 09-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
Andre_h

Ha! I just figured out it can be done. Although the standard mouse modifier options don't include "move cursor to the left of item", it gave me the option to fetch an action from the action list and voila! Done!
Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_h View Post
...to fetch an action from the action list and voila! Done!
which is what we both told you to do, lol. well at least you got it working.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
hopi

right fox... geeez... you can lead a horse to water but you can't get 'em drunk, eh?