Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default OVERDUB rec mode + some tiny FR

Hey

I was away for a while, and glad to see that v1 was released, with some fancy graphic stuff on the website & reaper's icon, but i see nowhere any desperate claiming for overdub recording in the new-looking forum... DOes anybody need it anymore ? iiiii doooooo !!!!!

Overdub/loop recording mode is a real need to the way i work, and, as far as i know, to many people on the forum (as i rade it many times), and as i am into making (again) FR, here are some FR that woudl greatly improve the way i work with reaper :

- needing only the mouse (no keyboard shortcut) to select multiple items (like a rectangle selection tool), because it is always neede when shifting multiple midi notes, and i really don't like to have my beer bottle to leave my left hand !

- a 'paste insert' shortcut ;

- a quick & easy bounce feature (like [ctrl+M] in Acid : you click, adn it bounces the selected zone to a new track. What i don't like with the reaper's consolidated method is that it goes on top of the existing data, and i would like to "freeze/bounce" what i want later later in the timeline, or just to another track, with a simple keyboard shortcut ;

cheers
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
sinkmusic

bump.
Nobody cares ?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

you can do overdub recording if you set the track to record output (MIDI), then set prefs/recording/add items to project at each loop..

-J
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
sinkmusic

errh... emh... ooops, i must have been away for too long, then !
So i can record a whole beat with a drumsampler vsti in multipass : woohooo !!
I will try this
Thanks again
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
sinkmusic

Ok, i have tried that tip : was it already here since a long time, or is it something rather new ?

I tested it so far with ShortCircuit sampler and Mister Ray (rhodes emulation) : it seems to be in 'experimental mode', isn'tit ? Or did i do something wrong ?
It indeed records a layered file (which is fine, even if i'd wish a quicker access to this mode, instead of having to go to "prefs"+'record output' track properties, to enable/disable it), but each time the loop starts again, i can't hear any sound fro mthe vsti i'm playing... The unheard notes are on the midi file (i can see that if i open the midi editor), but i can't hear them while proceeding to the recording, which is a bit annoying...

Any other users experience ? Is it a Host's issue, or a VSTi issue ?

[edit]
... and, if i go and see in my project's media folder, i can see that every layer is recorded as a midi file (even if the last contains every passes).
I know i claim for a lot of things, but in order not to put a big mess in the media pool (having hundreds of uneeded files among crucial ones), or having to manually delete them (which means that we would have to listen each file individually... argh!), it woudl be uber nice to automatically delete the first layers.
Does it makes sense ?

Last edited by sinkmusic; 08-31-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
sinkmusic

Ok, i am experienceing problems to use midi loop recording seamlessly, so i opened a dedicated thread with pictures, and a project.
You can find it here :
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...1574#post21574

I hope it will help to fix that !