Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Dynamic Split Item and Spectral Peaks

I understand that the "Dynamic Split Item action" uses the peaks file as a source for the dynamic of the audio stream. Now that we have "Spectral Peaks" it might be viable to have the action adhere to the detected sound (predominant frequency), as well.

E.g. adding an option to "use tone under cursor +/- xx semitones" or similar.

Of course this is doable by a script, but as the action already exist as a standard, it might be more desirable to have same enhanced.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
planetnine

The predominant frequency for any time position is readable from the peak files for spectral peaks using the API, so a script could be written to move the cursor to the next instance of that frequency quite easily.

You might have to compartmentalise/quantise the frequencies somewhat, or at least decide what range counts as matching the required value, not to mention deciding how far the freq is to deviate before a match counts as a match again. Maybe a user variable adjusting range..?

Have a think how you'd like the logic of it to work and I'll have a go.

>
Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
mschnell

In fact I some time in the future might intend to use a kind of dynamic split to fit the grid of a project to a live recording. But the difficulties with doing that seem to be in a completely different area of the appropriate workflow. Right now I only had the thought that being able to specify a frequency range might help with finding the correct hits in e.g. a bass drum track.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
xinky

+1
i'll wait for this feature too..
But. As for now.. When I have for ex. snare, that is not louder enough from background, and it turns dynamic split to be hard, im just duplicating track, and filtering it by eq, and boosting base freq of this SD. Then I group items, and dynamic split them both, choosing filtered one as a "guide". Hope this workaround will be helpful for smbd..
xinky is offline   Reply With Quote