Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 AM   #1
audio2u
Human being with feelings

Default Project template NOT 'read only'

I have finally caved in and moved to Windoze 10. I only mention this because I don't know if the thing I'm about to describe is a Win10 'feature', or something different.
I use project templates a lot... a combination of podcasts and radio commercial production.
Now, if you right-click on the Reaper icon in your taskbar (assuming you've already right clicked on that icon elsewhere and chosen 'Pin to taskbar'), you will not only see options to launch the app, unpin from taskbar, and close the app, but you'll also see a dozen recent projects.
After I'd made some tweaks to one of my templates, that template appeared on this 'recent projects' list. So I right-clicked, and hit the 'pin' icon so as to keep that template on that recently-used projects list.
And here's where stuff got weird.
If you create a project from a template, by selecting File>Project templates>(Template name), you are presented with an unsaved project.
But open that same template from the pinned entry on the taskbar-right-click menu, and you open the template in a writable format, which I was not expecting.
This means that any changes you make are written back to the template should you hit 'Save' instead of 'Save as...'
I even opened File Explorer (what used to be known as Windows Explorer), navigated to C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\ProjectTempl ates, selected all my templates, right-clicked, chose 'Properties', and ticked the 'Read only' box, but it didn't change the aforementioned behaviour.
Is this a bug?
Is it a Windows 10 anomaly?
Is it expected behaviour?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 AM   #2
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

It's expected behavior I think. When you open that template via the pinned icon, it's basically using Reaper's regular Open project functionality (as opposed to Open project template), it doesn't consider it a template, so any changes you do to THAT project and then just hit Save, it will save the template file. I don't think W10 has anything to do with this, it would've behaved the same in W7 IIRC.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote