Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #41
hamish
Human being with feelings

Default Services with ReaMote

Thanks for the list labyrinth, nice work.

I've been fiddling with some of these services too, of course automatic updates was the first to go!

I'm interested that you have

"COM+ Event System EventSystem Disabled
COM+ System Application Disabled"

I was reluctant to disable these, as I didn't know what they did!

I notice you have "computer browser" disabled, and other network services. I think for my work, using samplers that load sf2's I would need the "named pipes" that the Network Setup gives me. As good as ReaMote is I think setting up 'mirror' directories for my sf2's is a PITH.

The setup you describe may be the "ultimate" mixing setup, with low-latency performance. I will try to implement this in the dual-boot system I'm setting up (using DUX's WIN XP SP3) so that I can have the best of both worlds.

I'll post here when I get it going.

Hamish
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #42
norbury brook

Hi Guys,

I was looking forward to Reamote when I first got Reaper but alas it doesn't seem to work as well as FXTeleport for me. I have been using teleport for a number of years so am used to working with host and slaves in this way. For me the main 'hogs' to ofset to another machine are things like large sample streaming VSTI's.Unfortunately with Reamote it seems impossible to get decent latency for tracking, th latency seems to change all the time unlike FX teleport where I can set it to a low latency for tracking, then just up the buffers for a 100% clean playback.

I have tried both on the same hardware and so far unless things have changed dramatically over the last couple of months FX teleport is still the champ.

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #43
hamish

Default Tracking over ReaMote

Hi Norbury, thanks for chipping in.

I have never tracked yet over ReaMote, and will probably never try. You're so right about latency.

I have used ReaMote for quite different uses, where the less responsive handling of a project is acceptable. One is for straight mixing of live recorded tracks. In this case you can have virtualy unlimited amounts of high quality reverb, compression and EQ at about 1000 ms off zero latency.

The second use is for midi composition (with NO tracking). This way unlimited high quality VSTi's can be used with a similarly slow GUI on the MASTER, which I can live with.

When it comes to tracking I am thinking of the options right now. I'll keep FXteleport in mind.

I feel sure that I'll find a way to track happily in REAPER with the odd workaround (one idea is FX chains with A/B effects, switch to known low CPU soundalike B effect, flip chain back to 'local' processing. Track. Switch back to 'High Quality Mode' - something like that 8P)

Hamish
Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #44
labyrinth

Default Upgrade ReaMote to Emulate FX Teleport Low Latency

This is surely a downfall of Reaper's ReaMote and hopefully will be upgraded soon.

++1 For the upgrade!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #45
inthepipeline

Location: Bristol, UK. Slowly sinking island next to mainland Europe

Hamish, I applaud your efforts. Great thread ++1

You might be familiar with Dux' XPSP3RC1AO verion. I'd be interested if you are using it on any of your machines.
[edit] Should have read your last few posts. I see that you are already considering this. Great!

I've got 2 Ahlon64x2 4800 machines sitting next to each other and using Dux's version, which doen't have a firewall. I also have 2 spare FW400 cards sitting somewhere, and each machine has a fw400 port on the mobo. You can imagine what I might be thinking..

Q. How well are 2 machines likely to work networked over firewire

Q. How can I set up a network using the bandwidth of 2 firewire ports

Trouble is I've never even attempted to set up a true network. Never needed to.

Think it might be time to try!

Last edited by inthepipeline; 02-20-2008 at 08:19 PM.
inthepipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #46
labyrinth

Default XP Services

Hamish-

In regards to your inquiry about the two disabled services:
- COM+ Event System EventSystem
- COM+ System Application

These are really only support apps, not really necessary unless you need Remote Procedure Call (RPC), which is sometimes needed for virtual instruments and during certain installs. When in doubt leave on Manual. Another thing I found is that if these are disabled you will continue to get Event Log entries (just about them being disabled).

There's more on this here- http://www.theeldergeek.com/com+_system_application.htm
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #47
hamish

Default Hmmm, Interesting....

Hey labyrinth, ITP thanks for posting and digging this thread up again.

First @labyrith. Thanks for that, I had a weird experience with the COM+ when I started using a NAS on my network. I wanted to use a custom icon for it and when I tried windows told me it needed to install various 'network components', I let it go ahead and one thing it did was restart COM+ I never got my desired icon, and ended up cursing microsoft 'netwrecking' as DUX once referred to it... Thanks for that link though. It's a great help having such knowledgable dudes around.

@inthepipeline .... Hmmm, intresting. Like you I had never set up a network until I used one for ReaMote. I use in now for file sharing. So far I've only used ethernet via hub or X-over as my 'physical layer'.

General Stuff: I use DUX's Win XP SP3, not sure which one. I got it in a two part rar, the first one is a SelfXtract. I use it on 4 partitions on two machines, mainly for tweaking those services that labyrinth has mentioned (or more the specific networking services like 'computer browser' 'network location awareness' bla bla bla). I still don't have anything conclusive to report. Check labrinth services attachment above.

About using your hardware and a 2x1394 connection. Wow! hee hee. I don't see why not, but unfortunately I can't give you any tips just yet.

I would be really interested to know if anyone else has done this, and how REAPER+reamote would handle it. Can two network connections both access the one port? would they need too? I doubt ReaMote can accept two connections simultaneously.

inthepipelin, even if you can't use both sets of fw400 hardware, I think you'd find just the PCI card hardwares would give a very satisfactory performance for ReaMote. I am very happy with my Gigabit setup, using Intel Core Duo desktop as ReaMote Slave (in another room) and my old p4 laptop as Master.

Maybe deric, bubbagump or other network experts (mr moon is a firewire enthusiast I seem to remember) could help us out.

Last edited by hamish; 02-21-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #48
labyrinth

Default Question/Inquiry

Anyone who is or has used ReaMote (vs.7 specifically)...

I do find that ReaMote has saved me and my AMD Athlon 64 3700+ system, although nice, it's certainly not a real workhorse like dual, quad, or octa-core systems. The question I have is- is it in everyone elses practice to have to increase the Network Max Latency to the max to avoid any artifacts from ReaMote? I did try adjusting the Max Packet Size, but found the default was best. Although it works at this level, I'm working on enhancing my setup the best I can. (Just to note I have not lowered the sample format to 32 bits, it's still at the defaulted 64 bits)

Also...have a great weekend everyone.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #49
hamish

Default I'm interested in the threading....

I haven't adjusted the Options > ReaMote 'Network Max Latency' setting. I prefer just to fiddle with different plugins in the chain and different mix of local vs reamote chains to get a clean sound.

Something I did the other day got me wondering about the threading that was going on.

I would have thought that having a track chain and the master chain sent to the same slave (or any other slave) would require the data to go through the REAPER engine twice, and I'd hear a double 'lag'.

I ran track inst ReaSyn + the JS graphic distortion (waveshaper) and then Ambience (my favorite VST reverb, magnus at smartelectronix)on the master. Oversampled the JS at 32 times with the chain on my 2xCPU Slave, a load which would instantly kill my P4 master machine. Looked at taskmanager screen on Slave, all the load was on 1 CPU. Sent the master track FX to reamote, second cpu came into action.

Changed the project FX scheme. Put ambience after instrument+JSeffect (just one FX chain). Look at Slave taskmanager screen, all load on one cpu. Sound pretty much the same.

I guess the question is does reamote use the same threading as REAPER. Is the threading controlled on the slave locally or by REAPER in the Master? Does using ReaMote give the same multi-core performance as REAPER? How does the performance of 4 2.8 GHz cpus in 4 boxes on a Lan compare to a Quad, besides the obvious (Network Latency).... Is the available power the same?

BTW inthepipeline saw your FW external box tests for the 5 different OS's. Great work there!

[edit] here is a quick discussion about reamote use of port, and multi cpu. From august 2007. Dr. Bob to Justin

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12110

Last edited by hamish; 02-23-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #50
charles.monteiro

Is there a way of measuring the added latency to the signal by using ReaMote. IOTW, are we up to the stage that given fairly modern hardware e.g. two Core2 Duo boxes that the use of ReaMote is for all intent and purposes transparent ?

thanks
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #51
labyrinth

Default I don't believe it's very good

I was using ReaMote for a while, but the latency is way too much for most effects. Reverb and delay (non-tempo kind) can sometimes sneak by ReaMote's delay, but that's really it. I messed with it for a while. I tried using a switch w/Cat 5e cables, switch w/Cat 6 cables, and then a crossover cable all with not the best latency. I messed with the ReaMote settings, but could not benefit much. Not to mention ReaMote along with having all networking resources needed to run ReaMote use too much CPU power for the benefit in my opinion.

It needs some real work to be worth the effort and constant upgrading of both PC's VST directories at all times. I wish you much better luck.

Sorry for my rant, and I certainly don't mean to sound overly negative and complaining.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #52
S-N-S

im still to try rearouting reaper and renoise,but hopefully i will have time to do it in the weekend,and hopefully without too many problems

S-N-S

www.myspace.com/scandinaviannoizesyndicate

FOR NEWS AND INFO
http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/scan...oize-syndicate
S-N-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #53
hamish

Hello Charles, SNS and labyrinth.

I like ReaMote, and am still excited about it, however it's certainly not going to work like a project on one machine.

As far as I can see, the main place you can't use reamote is for tracking, unless you are just putting down an audio track with no FX. That is to say it's probably not good for tracking midi using FX like a VSTi with your midi keyboard.

REAPER also has rearoute and ninjam which may be possible to use with lower latency for a multi-box LAN tracking setup. This has been discussed on a few threads but I haven't tried it yet.

I consider ReaMote to be a very valuable feature of REAPER, which can really come into it's own with a heavy CPU mixdown. In one scenario, a 4 piece band could all pool their Core Duo laptops connected to a gigabit switch and take full advantage of 8 cpu's in close to real-time.

It seems charles' question about 'transparency' relates to my questions about threading under reamote. I think charles you might consider the difference between onboard (mobo) ethernet adapter and dedicated, or card adapter. The card can deliver data to the PCI bus with less clock cycles than the mobo adapter, as the net traffic increases this becomes significant.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #54
hamish

Default ReaMote Optimisation, tip #13 WIN XP SP3

Well I haven't posted on this thread for a while sorry anyone watching...

I am now officially off the 'service tweaking' idea. I have read from two separate sources that tweaking services will only give very small improvements in performance.

I had an idea to take the 'GUI less' aspect of ReaMote a bit farther.

Select Reamote.exe in your REAPER folder, press alt+return to bring up the properties dialog. get the compatability pane and check everything (the 3 boxes) under 'Display settings'.

I did this on two machines, a PIII with 256 MB ram and a Core Duo box with 512 MB ram (I'll add more soon) used both as slaves to my main master, a Compaq PIV laptop.

The effect of using a lower resolution graphic gave about an extra 1 MB of available Ram, but I think more importantly a few more available %% of CPU.

ReaGards
Hamish
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #55
griz lee

i've found reaMote very useful recently. For the reasons you guys mention, i've had to be careful as to exactly what those uses are. But, it's an amazing tool! Here's how/why i've been using it:

1. Using ReaVerb on the slave whilst my main DAW is set to UAD-1 synchronous processing.

ReaVerb clicks like hell in synch mode, yet the UAD-1 won't work properly without it. My answer is to remote my ReaVerbs to my laptop. I use a crossover cable, and can set the network latency down to 10 blocks before things go wrong. This is acceptable performance for a reverb.

The main conceptual problem I have with Reamote is that whole chains need to run on it. I wonder if someday it is possible to have an fx structure where a 'subchain' (i like the chain idea, it's useful as it clearly saves resources in a network context) of the main chain could run on the reamote slave, permitting you to add host stuff before and after the reamote subchain.

2. Reamote has really saved the day for me adding extra power -- i've been experimenting with surround mixing recently and found i need to run far more plugins than for stereo. Again, in this non-time critical context, reamote is excellent and really makes something possible that wouldn't be possible for me otherwise. I'm very glad to have this in a DAW.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #56
General Contact Unit

Processing live input has multi core issues. Reamote used as a kludge:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19189
-Switchfoot
General Contact Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #57
Deric

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
...have an fx structure where a 'subchain' <snip>...of the main chain could run on the reamote slave, permitting you to add host stuff before and after the reamote subchain...
Yeah griz lee, that would be great!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #58
hamish

Default Network attached storage #1

Hi, here's a series of post on how you can do cool stuff on a network that includes a NAS (Network Attached Storage)

Firstly a disclaimer. networking with win XP2 can be very frustrating when you don't know even the first thing, like me, I still don't know a 'sub-net' from a 'gateway'. I sometimes spend the good part of half an hour being told to 'see my network administrator' before I get the fr#$kin thing online. It's very demoralising being told by micro$oft windows that you don't have the privilege of seeing your own files on a little black box that cost you as much as a new guitar...

Oh yeah, and there will be no benchtesting results presented here (not by me at least)

Last edited by hamish; 07-07-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo fr#$kin - correct spelling
Old 06-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #59
hamish

Default Network attached storage #2

NAS vs External drive

It is often discussed on this forum the benefits of having your audio data on a drive other than your system drive. In the case of laptops that would usually be an external drive, and as laptop internal drives are slower the advantages can be greater.

If you are prepared to invest a little time and money you can get a reliable, high speed router (or switch) and use a second drive in a networked box to have your recorded audio, samples and maybe plugins too.

A network fileserver is the next step in performance so my computer bloke told me...

External drives may connect by USB, firewire or ethernet. The big difference between an external box and a nas (which will connect by ethernet) is that the nas can serve the same file(s) simultaneously to multiple computers on the network.

My first nas (network attached storage) was a real cheap one. 100 Mbits/sec and it was ok. Had some problems like didn't report size properly to windows, couldn't open large directories of files that had been backed up (more than 200 files in a folder).

Even so I could see the potential for it. A project with reamote sfz that loaded an sf2 from NAS would be more portable. Once the thing was connected it was really stable, and gave me fewer problems than my USB 2 external drive. Once I had mixed a 17 minute, 5 song rock band demo CD on it, using about 1.5 Gig of 24/44.1 recordings I was convinced I had to get a good one with gigabit LAN (1000 Mbit/sec)

My choice: Netgear ReadyNASduo I think they call it. Got some award like 'best small/home office network storage'

Here's how to use a sampler (namely sfz) over reamote with the sf2 on the NAS

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...36&postcount=7

Last edited by hamish; 06-29-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #60
hamish

some NAS housekeeping (skip this if not interested)

use PathSync - its cockos!

Syncronise all your projects, plugins, samples, impluses, VSTi presets ... pathsync is free and easy to use.

You access your nas through your web browser, the password will be in you documentation. set up shares and then you can 'map network drives' using the windows explorer. For example I created a 'share' called 'plugins', and that is mapped as drive "Y" it appears in 'my computer' as Y: (plugins on nas)I have done the same on all computers, so for plugins that use added data files the path will always be the same.

Last edited by hamish; 06-29-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #61
hamish

Default Network attached storage #3 TRACKING

You CAN track with Reamote network latency of > 100 m/s or whatever with a 'workaround'. To do this I use two REAPER machines on the network. A low-latency recorder machine (with my best audio interface) and a big-buffered project manager (backing tracks) machine. As well as one or more Reamote machines (slaves) and the NAS.

The recorder has a single track and guitar ampsim, in the case of adding guitar parts. Audio from recorder and backing tracks goes to an analog micro-mixer for my monitor (behringer eurorack 602A). The recorder writes directly to the NAS, while the backing tracks play.

Recorded files are manually opened and aligned into a track in the manager (the reamote enabled MASTER) machine, and midi arranging continues until I think "this could use more guitar ..."

The cool thing here with the NAS system is that after importing the recorded audio I load up the same ampsim as was used in the recorder, and then the patch, which I cleverly saved in my 'zzpatches' folder on the NAS. A master patch library, presets by song, factory presets, user group presets downloaded etc.

So the NAS is the heart of my system. Everything is happening in RAM+CPU+Gigabit ethernet+SATAII drive. Just have to fork out a bit more dough and add second drive for RAID backup. Hard drive failure will not stop a session, second drive takes over immediately.

The laptops hard drives are not being taxed.

Last edited by hamish; 07-07-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: more clearer ...
Old 06-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #62
charles.monteiro

Hamish,

thanks for doing the leg work on this, I have 2 older PCs, basically P4 3.2ghz that I plan to employ for a VST farm. FX Teleport is what's at the top of my lists to experiment with. I also have a "data expansion" need I forsee. I googled the NetGear NAS, looks pretty good, can't tell what RPMs the included drives run at, I like the idea of the mirror drive that they keep. BTW, what are your recommendations as far as to a 1 gb switch? Or will I be okay by sticking to a NetGear or a Linksys? I guess a switch is a switch i.e. performance and basic features wise.

thanks
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #63
hamish

Default What Switch?

Hello Charles. The switch I use is D-Link DGS-1008D. This really has performed well for me. I also have a 2WIRE 2701 HGV-W which is an ADSL modem and wired/wireless hub. I thought I'd try to compare the performance. While I could sharefiles over Windows Network with this, ReaMote wouldn't work. Sorry if OT - point is a dedicated switch has to work better for distributed processing.

I haven't read up on the competition to D-Link DGS-1008D. This unit is Gigabit with 8 ports and has a 16 Gig/sec core and collision detection. I imagine most would have a similar spec.

Best wishes.

BTW. Anyone else reading this (windows XP networking brain) I seem to have to run the Network ID wizard in System> Computer Name (selecting 'this computer is for home use and is not part of a business network') and restarting each time I want to connect my NAS. Is this because in between NAS sessions I link to a different (secured) wireless internet network? (my home internet). Is there another way?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #64
hamish

Default Using impulses off the NAS, local and reamote

This has never worked for me before, and don't know why. Samples fine but impulses no.

I got success yesterday with a project using impulses in keFIR 2ch (Piotr 'Habib' Pyrzanowski).

I had four instances, on two guitar tracks (recordings on NAS also). Two instances per track, an edge and a centre (Guitar Hacks original three, at noisevault) Two impulses files in use, twice each.

I used my usual network technique: Plugin is local. Load impulse from network drive, switch to reamote. This worked on the first track absolutely seamlessly and so I instantly swiched the second track. Instantly it hung up my audio.

So I'm puzzling. The Nas can stream the same 2 impulse files to the same place twice (2 instances local). It can stream the same 2 impulses to local and reamote, but not stream the 2 impulses to Reamote. Or is it a network or a Reamote EXE problem. (!!! it could be a dual-core problem if keFir or Aradaz amp can't run two instances ...)

To do - Try to run same project with single-core slave.

hamish
Old 10-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #65
mio*star

Default Mac ? Mac + PC mix ?

Hey guys,

Thanx for sharing your experience.

Now, I am mainly on Mac.
Any input regarding a Mac ReaMote setup ? Or a mix of Mac and PCs ??
Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 AM   #66
labyrinth

You should be able to mix Mac and PC without a problem, since all that is being transferred is non-OS related data.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #67
hamish

Default mac and pc

The way I remember it, mac and pc reamoting has been discussed as 'on the cards' or something like that. I have not seen anything about it in the changelog since then.

Traditionally (pre intel cpu macs) any plugin would be coded differently in its mac or pc version (the big-endian small-endian difference in the data word for audio) (although this is operating system, not cpu dependant) Therefore plugs would not work on reamote connected mac and pc. The reaper 'back-end' must be different on the different platforms. This could all change very soon. Definiely with the cockos native plugs I would hope.

hamish
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #68
typewriter

Default Plugin Installation reamote

Ist it still necessary to install a plugin on both machines, master and remote slave?

Or can a plugins be installed "slave only"?

I use Tascams GVI plugin which uses a dongle and it is impossible to use it on 2 systems the same time.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #69
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
Ist it still necessary to install a plugin on both machines, master and remote slave?

Or can a plugins be installed "slave only"?

I use Tascams GVI plugin which uses a dongle and it is impossible to use it on 2 systems the same time.
Yes the same name plugs on both machines (Host and Slave)
Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #70
typewriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
Yes the same name plugs on both machines (Host and Slave)
Too, bad. That means you can't "remote" a hardware-dongle protected vsti - or you have to buy a second license for the vsti.

Justin should change that. You should just only see the plugin name installed on the slave when inserting a vst or vsti.

We could access the gui of the vst on the other machin via some kind of remote networking program. It works the same way with Vienna Ensemble.

That would open the possibility to "remote" between Mac and PC since you have only audiostreams and no incompatibilities between plattforms.

Maybe Justin wants to push reastream instead of reamote.

Last edited by typewriter; 11-05-2008 at 08:29 AM.
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #71
labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
Too, bad. That means you can't "remote" a hardware-dongle protected vsti - or you have to buy a second license for the vsti.

Justin should change that. You should just only see the plugin name installed on the slave when inserting a vst or vsti.

We could access the gui of the vst on the other machin via some kind of remote networking program. It works the same way with Vienna Ensemble.

That would open the possibility to "remote" between Mac and PC since you have only audiostreams and no incompatibilities between plattforms.

Maybe Justin wants to push reastream instead of reamote.
Justin prob could change that, but it would prob violate laws and such. Damn Dongles! As far as the GUI something needs to be worked out, I think the GUI will work on FX Teleport (never used it).
Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #72
guitarfrenzi

Default Using Ethernet in the HD studio - IEEE 802.1 AVB

References:

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv...d-studio-0601/

http://www.aes.org/events/125/audiop...on.cfm?code=T2

-----------------------------------

I've been watching the subject of audio/video over Ethernet for the last 3 years (and dreaming) and were on the home straight.

It's not a limitation of Reamote that latency is an issue. Ethernet was not designed for audio and video and the approaches to date have been work arounds.

Once the new standards are finalized, it should be a simple matter of flashing the switch/router...no new hardware required.

We'll then start seeing audio/video interfaces that are interfaced via ethernet in addition to Firewire USB3.0 etc...

A truly networked multimedia home/studio....awesome

I guess Reamote will get a rewrite to take advantage of IEEE 802.1 AVB
guitarfrenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #73
hamish

Default cool

quote from http://www.aes.org/events/125/audiop...on.cfm?code=T2

These enhancements require no changes to the Ethernet lower layers and are compatible with all the other functions of a standard Ethernet switch (a device that follows the IEEE 802.1Q bridge specification). As a result, all of the rest of the Ethernet ecosystem is available to developers—in particular, the various high speed physical layers (up to 10 gigabit/sec in current standards, even higher speeds are in development), security features (encryption and authorization), and advanced management (remote testing and configuration) features can be used. [end quote]

That would be great if like you say, our existing gigabit switch could just be flashed to incorporate the new features.

Welcome to the REAPER forums guitarfrenzi
Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #74
hamish

Default The ReaEQ bug - as of Reaper ver 2.5

I finally got around to trying to track where ReaEQ stopped working over Reamote.

I tested 4 old versions of reaEQ over Reamote. All show 'ReaEQ v0.5' on the gui.

2.3 ok

2.42 ok

2.44 ok

2.5 won't reamote

... and of course 2.54 the current version doesn't.

My suggestion for using ReaEQ over reamote: get v2.44 and run the installer into a dummy directory, unchecking all components except ReaEQ. Copy it (ReaEQ.dll) into your working REAPER\Plugins\FX directory (replacing the current version).
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #75
LOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I finally got around to trying to track where ReaEQ stopped working over Reamote.

I tested 4 old versions of reaEQ over Reamote. All show 'ReaEQ v0.5' on the gui.

2.3 ok

2.42 ok

2.44 ok

2.5 won't reamote

... and of course 2.54 the current version doesn't.

My suggestion for using ReaEQ over reamote: get v2.44 and run the installer into a dummy directory, unchecking all components except ReaEQ. Copy it (ReaEQ.dll) into your working REAPER\Plugins\FX directory (replacing the current version).
Version 2.42 to 2.5 have problems with a GDI leak:
[Changelog v2.5 - September 20 2008]: Fixed GDI leak in ReaEQ added in 2.42 (nyquist line drawing)
So better grab version from 2.3 or 2.41 which is the last one without the nyquist line.

However version 2.5. ReaEQ works fine here (via loopback network). Maybe you have forgotten to update your ReaMote slave with the new ReaEQ version or something?
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #76
guitarfrenzi

Default IEEE 802.1 AVB - Reference Board/ Code Available

If there are any Electrical Engineer Types in Reaper Land, IEEE 802.1 AVB is available for implementation now, via an XMOS reference design board/ Code.

Getting this mounted on a PCI card would be awesome..

https://www.xmos.com/technology/appl...s/ethernet-avb
guitarfrenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #77
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSER View Post
Version 2.42 to 2.5 have problems with a GDI leak:
[Changelog v2.5 - September 20 2008]: Fixed GDI leak in ReaEQ added in 2.42 (nyquist line drawing)
So better grab version from 2.3 or 2.41 which is the last one without the nyquist line.

However version 2.5. ReaEQ works fine here (via loopback network). Maybe you have forgotten to update your ReaMote slave with the new ReaEQ version or something?
Thanks for that michael, I haven't kept up with the changelog and even though the GDI leak (???) has not been apparent I will go with 2.3. Am I right to assume the Nyquist Line Drawing is just GUI and has no audio processing effect?

Maybe the reason you're getting 2.5 to work is because you're using loopback?. I renamed the plugs by their version # and then copied them to the FX directory on both master and slave. Rescanned VST with 'get plug names' unchecked, and then it was easy to set up a project with 5 tracks, each with the clearly labelled plug instance. All reamoted except ReaEQv250 and ReaEQ (current, default name = 2.54).

GuitarFrenzi - Hi again, have you been using Reamote yourself?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #78
LOSER

Quote:
Thanks for that michael, I haven't kept up with the changelog and even though the GDI leak (???) has not been apparent I will go with 2.3. Am I right to assume the Nyquist Line Drawing is just GUI and has no audio processing effect?
Yes, only a visual thing. Also there has been some other GUI (or performance?) update in 2.4x or 2.5 IIRC, so I guess that might be what caused it.

Quote:
Maybe the reason you're getting 2.5 to work is because you're using loopback?. I renamed the plugs by their version # and then copied them to the FX directory on both master and slave. Rescanned VST with 'get plug names' unchecked, and then it was easy to set up a project with 5 tracks, each with the clearly labelled plug instance. All reamoted except ReaEQv250 and ReaEQ (current, default name = 2.54).
Hmm... have you done a plug-in rescan on the ReaMote machine and tried the new ReaEQ in the REAPER on the ReaMore machine?
I don't think loopback makes any difference because it's sending the data, the only difference is host and slave computer are the same, but that could be the problem maybe the new ReaEQ doesn't work on your ReaMote machine? Anyway that's another weird problem I guess .

Quote:
GuitarFrenzi - Hi again, have you been using Reamote yourself?
That's just spam. At least I hope otherwise he might have some serious comprehension problems.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #79
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSER View Post

That's just spam. At least I hope otherwise he might have some serious comprehension problems.
... I'm so naive!!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #80
TheArchitect

Most of the info here is quite old. I was able to set up reamote on my slave machine and installed the freeware plugs I use to test with. I didn't need any special cabling or switches. In fact I just used a crossover cable from my toolbag. The actual networking of the computers is as basic as it can be. The computers should be using IP's from the same subnet anyway so you don't even have to worry about gateways, DNS or any of that higher level stuff.

I have tested the system under load but I was able to get the slave to connect first try and open up a plug from the slave machine in a demo project I am testing with.

I am using v2.52 on both machines

Last edited by TheArchitect; 01-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.
TheArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote