Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default External Editor - setting up primary/secondary programs like audacity? etc.

I would like to know if anyone is using 'external' editors as a primary or secondary? If so... how was it installed? Through Pref>External>Add...
Has anyone got one going and usable... if so how about the extension or location of the 'added' editor? [usr/share/ area?] any tips or hints on configuring would be great - thanks in advance.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Glennbo

I don't currently have any 3rd party audio editors installed, but for grins I navigated out to /usr/bin/vlc for my primary editor and now if I right click an audio clip, I can edit it with VLC which just plays the clip but also confirms that the linkage all got connected fine. It also prompted me if I wanted to open the original or to make a copy before editing.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I don't currently have any 3rd party audio editors installed, but for grins I navigated out to /usr/bin/vlc for my primary editor and now if I right click an audio clip, I can edit it with VLC which just plays the clip but also confirms that the linkage all got connected fine. It also prompted me if I wanted to open the original or to make a copy before editing.
Thanks again Glennbo -- What I am doing now is... export 'media' item from Reaper Linux... [[I already have my other editor open... (Audacity etc. BUT I have audacity switched over to JACK ez enuff) so Reaper and Audacity aren't Both running off of ALSA!]] I import the .wav file into audacity - THEN work in wav and export it back. Sometimes I will change the .ext file format... so I have my pick when I am back in Reaper... works good... but one or 2 extra steps... there is nothing wrong with this set up... but boy would it be great to configure the primary & secondary External Editors... for the weird little programs or analyzers... thanks again.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Glennbo

Have you tried telling REAPER to use Audacity as it's editor? I don't have it installed, but it probably puts the executable in /usr/bin. You could see how it's linked up in the menu editor of what ever distro you use, and then point REAPER to the same place for the primary audio editor.

I would expect that initiating a launch of Audacity from within REAPER would do the same thing as I saw in testing with VLC, prompting if you want to work with the original clip or a copy of it, and then openening it in the other app.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
Jack Winter

I just set /usr/bin/audacity as the external editor, and alt-dbl click makes a media item open in audacity.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I just set /usr/bin/audacity as the external editor, and alt-dbl click makes a media item open in audacity.
Thanks - two heads are better than one especially if one is made of wood and the other one is smart... tc
Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
s wave

I was working on an alternative REAPER set up on another drive. I had trouble getting Audacity set up as Primary Editor. But when I placed /usr/bin/audacity
in the secondary editor and BAM - WORKS like a charm. (Audacity set to ALSA not jack) Since I am way out of the box experimenter this is literal GOLD for me. To be able to do audio editing (on demand) on the side of REAPER makes reaper that much better! Thanks to Jack & Glennbo - always there to help - bless you guys!!

Next project will be getting the external editor to open on separate monitor... not needed but would be awesome.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:53 AM   #8
BartR

I use Audacity. The only oe reason for an external editor is the capability to change the wav at the sample level with a "pencil".
Kenny Gioia's video illustrates my point.
BartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartR View Post
I use Audacity. The only oe reason for an external editor is the capability to change the wav at the sample level with a "pencil".
Kenny Gioia's video illustrates my point.
Yes... I like the ext editor - for many many reasons... main one is that I do not have to EXPERIMENT in the DAW (which can confuse producing/mixing) I just love this option!