Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Db_soloman_5000
Human being with feelings

Default Undo mutes playback

Hello all,
Long time reader first time poster. I've used this forum many times when troubleshooting and many thanks to everyone here.

I just built a new PC running windows 10, installed the latest version of reaper along with the latest drivers for all of my equipment.

It's not a major issue, but quite annoying, whenever I undo something, playback becomes muted (playback cursor still moves and all of the tracks appear to be playing except the master) until I stop and restart playback. None of the tracks are being auto muted and nothing goes crazy, I just simply have to stop the playback, and press play and all is well until I hit undo again.

In all reality it's just a minor inconvenience but I've never had this issue on my laptop or my old desktop. I've searched high and low for answers and can't come up with anything, I've tried reinstalling reaper, asio drivers, and can't find a solution and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out.
Db_soloman_5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
Db_soloman_5000

For anyone that may come across this same issue, shortly after this I started experiencing system crashes. After weeks of trouble shooting and messing around in my settings I discovered that whenever my interface (2nd gen 18i20) became disconnected my computer would go full derp and freeze.

Reinstalled the driver with no change. Eventually I felt left with no choice but to reinstall windows and start over. Interface seems to be connecting and disconnecting flawlessly without issue, and I can even undo in reaper without affecting playback 😊
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #3
Db_soloman_5000

Well the issue has returned
I've figured out the cause but not the solution. At this point I'll probably just deal with it. The problem seems to lie in the reainsert plugin. I use it to run my mastering chain through an outboard compressor. If I disable reainsert undo and playback work just fine with each other
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
hopi

very strange... so I have to ask... what do you think is being 'undone'...
maybe there is some way to clear the undo history that is causing your hardware to disconnect?
Old 05-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #5
Db_soloman_5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
very strange... so I have to ask... what do you think is being 'undone'...
maybe there is some way to clear the undo history that is causing your hardware to disconnect?

My apologies for the late reply. I've never looked into the undo history. The issue is when I'm mixing, if I say adjust the volume of a track down and decide to use the undo command, playback mutes. Meters on all tracks are still moving with the exception of the master track. If I disable reinsert that issue goes away and can undo and redo without affecting playback.

However I've also been trying to hunt down another issue I'm beginning to suspect reinsert being the culprit as well.

I've only encountered this issue within reaper. I will try to add an attachment as it's difficult to describe.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:05 AM   #6
Db_soloman_5000

I am unable to attach the video on my phone, I'll have to do it the next time I get on my computer

But the larger issue now is that windows is hanging. The reaper window becomes frozen, I can still save, minimize and reopen but the main screen stays frozen. Any other windows I try to open are completely transparent and non working including task manager.

My reaper project typically only shows about 45% CPU usage. Problem seems to happen at random and the only solution is a hard restart. I was working within reaper for roughly 4 hours before this happened today. Sometimes it's 45 minutes, sometimes a few hours.

I have yet to simply stop using reainsert completely to see if the problem returns. I've read multiple sources of people having issues with that plugin