Old 04-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
dreaminglife
Human being with feelings

Default Synth1 Preset Button

In Synth1 I can map all the different parameters to buttons on the tracks.
The only exception is the next preset button which of course is not a paramater.

It would be nice to be able to change the preset within the bank without having to have the Synth1 Gui open.

Is there any way to make an action and create a menu button to do this??
dreaminglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
foxAsteria

There are SWS actions for triggering previous/next preset. You'll have to save them as Reaper presets first though.

In general, it's better to use Reaper for all your presets, so you can deal with all of them all, across plugins, in a consistent way.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
dreaminglife

Default save them as Reaper presets first

"save them as Reaper presets first"

Yep I' up with that.

You would have to go through each synth1 bank of 128 presets and save each one individually with the synth1 plugin in reaper.

I have more than 25000 synth1 presets in more than 250 banks so this would be a massive undertaking. You cant have more than one bank [ini file] per instrument. Somehow I think a large number of presets in one file would crash the program. It would be way too much work.

It would be better if we could map that Synth1 preset button.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 04-28-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminglife View Post

I have more than 25000 synth1 presets in more than 250 banks
No, you don't. No one does. See this post.

That doesn't affect your wanting to be able to change from one preset to the next. But there's no way you have that many presets. Most of those are duplicates. You have less than 1000, probably more like a few hundred.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
dreaminglife

Default 25000 patches for Synth1 + more new banks

Yep there are lots of duplicates but there are also a lot of presets. More than a few hundred by a long shot.

There are newer banks not even included in the link below. I have them on my PC.
Heres the page with The Download Link

https://www.reddit.com/r/musicmadefr...es_for_synth1/

Quote:
Synth1 is the best VSTi preferred by most of the musicians. You can now add more than 25000 patches. Click on the link below to download patches.
Click the link below to download them direct from Mediafire.

Download 25000 Presets

Old 04-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
dreaminglife

Default Synth1 Duplicates

I have made up some synth1 banks of my own by searching a base of all the extracted banks for file names like guitar, organ etc.

I put all the resulted synth1 patches in its own folder then search for duplicates because there were quite a few.

Between 0 and 5 copys of a preset. But less than half were duplicates at least in name.

Any way once I'd got rid of the duplicates I would make sure there were 128 per folder then batch renumberd them. Last I re-zipped the files and added them to the zip bank.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 04-28-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
dreaminglife

Default Synth1 Preset Button

Lets not forget about that synth1 next previous preset button and mapping it to a parameter button so we can go through the banks without opening the GUI and doing it manually.

There may be some way an action could be built to go through the banks without creating individual synth1 presets for all those banks.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
JamesPeters

At least in name? LOL I'm guessing you didn't actually read my post that I linked you to. A lot of the names are duplicated, but a lot of them have been changed one way or another. Go ahead and try comparing. You'll realize eventually that there are nowhere near 25,000 patches. Not even close. Most of them are in fact duplicates. Lots of different names in one form or another, sometimes truncated, sometimes capitals, sometimes with underscores, sometimes renamed due to the person who downloaded them or with the name of the site they were found (one particular set was called "internet banks" and you guessed it, it had duplicates of a lot of other things organized differently with different names). You can get hints as to whether they are duplicates based on the number of patches within a bank; a lot of the duplicates that had different names had the same number of patches per bank, and once I compared several patches in one bank to several in another, it became clear.

It doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of patches. Unfortunately what it does mean is it is a nightmare to go through them. I did this once and honestly I only got about halfway through. It took a long time.

The people who posted these on the internet didn't bother sorting through them. They would just zip them up and then add them to whatever they found from another source. Lather rinse repeat. Next thing you know somebody is saying they have 10,000 patches for download. On another site somebody saying they have over 15,000 patches. Yeah sure. Nobody bothers to go through them all LOL except idiots like me.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
domzy

Quote:
Lets not forget about that synth1 next previous preset button and mapping it to a parameter button so we can go through the banks without opening the GUI and doing it manually.

There may be some way an action could be built to go through the banks without creating individual synth1 presets for all those banks.
Maybe i'm not totally understanding, but can you not just use standard MIDI program change & bank select messages?

Also, there is https://neutrinosky.com/
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
dreaminglife

Default MIDI program change & bank select messages

Quote:
Maybe i'm not totally understanding, but can you not just use standard MIDI program change & bank select messages?
Thanks. Can you show me how I could do that and attach it to a menu button or shortcut in reaper. Or would I need to use a midi file??
Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
dreaminglife

Default Fools Gold

Quote:
Nobody bothers to go through them all LOL except idiots like me.
Takes one to know one I guess (idiots)

You are right there are a lot of duplicates. But if you cant afford luxury synths even 1000 presets is a lot. But I'm sure its much more than 1000.

I have saved hundreds of synth1 presets in track templates. I just checked and I have 695 Synth1 preset track templates. All different.

There might be 1 or 2 duplicates. I haven't gone through that many banks at all + I havn't saved anywhere near all the presets that Ive previewed.

I'd be surprised if there weren't at-least 5000 different presets in the 25000 download link.

The duplicates and organization are a major pain and that's where getting a next preset menu button working in reaper would be like finding a small gold nugget. Fools gold but what the....
Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
dreaminglife

Default Synth1 Duplicate Names

I found when finding duplicate filenames that some were different presets with the same name. So when eliminating duplicate files you have to be careful that they don't have the same name but are two different presets. This is especially true for presets like E piano 1 E piano 2 etc. You might find lots of duplicate file names are different presets.

What a pain in the....
Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #13
foxAsteria

A good thing to do when you're not feeling very inspired to make music is to go through and get rid of presets you don't need. It will save you time when you are inspired.

Thousands of presets is nothing but a roadbloack to workflow and a massive time sink. Better to have a smaller selection of quality presets and knowing how to tweak them to fit the mix.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 AM   #14
dreaminglife

Default Hi Fox

Quote:
Thousands of presets is nothing but a roadbloack to workflow and a massive time sink.
100% right Fox.

I've just started using Synth1 Librarian where you can create new banks etc so I'll be culling a load of the junk filler presets.

A lot of the synth1 presets are poor quality and not really any good for music composition. However there are quite a few nice ones.

My problem with throwing away presets is that its often the combination of presets that makes a great sound. Also how a preset sounds with different midi files can vary a lot.

I use chordZ and sometimes using not so hot presets with a chord will totally transform the sound into something really nice or even amazing. A nice sounding preset can be awful when you use it with a chord.
When combing sounds a very dull sounding preset might really be the key to an amazing mix.

That's why I want to be able to automatically cycle through an edited bank of S1 presets with a Midi so I can catch different combinations that I might otherwise miss.

All that considered there are definitely some presets that should be binned. Some training in presets and styles of music might help.

I guess too many lollies in the shop might stop me from ever making a decision. Therapy in letting go might be needed before I can ever write anything.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 05-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
foxAsteria

Yea, I agree most of the Synth1 presets are not great. OTOH, Synth1 is one of the easiest synths to learn synthesis on. Also, you might notice some people make better presets than others. I think there were one or two people whose presets I liked and I ditched all the rest.

Quote:
I guess too many lollies in my shop might stop me from ever making a decision. Therapy in letting go might be needed before I can ever write anything.
This is a good observation. I used to have hangups like this as well (still do to some extent). The solution is just to experiment more. It's easy to be overly attached to your songs, sounds and ideas if you don't have many. But if you have loads, then you only get attached to the really good ones and they inspire you to finish them. With the rest, you are emboldened to take chances with them or even abandon them altogether.

When I started playing guitar in a band I was using unique guitar sounds for each song and took great pains to make them perfect. Trouble was they never were. What I eventually realized was that there are many shifting factors in how we perceive sound; the room acoustics, our mood, something else we heard just before or after, even the weather. When you learn how adapt the sound to these changing conditions, then you stop worrying about perfection because you realize the term is purely relative.

If you're worried about losing that "perfect" sound, just remind yourself that there are an infinite number of equally "perfect" sounds that could also work just as well. What matters in the writing workflow is speed. Everything that gets in your way or slows you down has the potential to throw you off course.

If you're sort of relying on happenstance to get sounds you like though, I'd recommend checking out Atlantis. It's got a bunch of randomization features that imo are far better than dealing with presets. You can collect the ones that are good as reaper presets.

Here's a great thread you ought to check out if you haven't:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

Some of the best advice from there: "Finished is better than perfect."
Old 05-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
JamesPeters

Yeah I got frustrated filtering through the presets, testing them. I'd set up a project with some test MIDI, then kept changing presets. Eventually I realized:

1) So many presets sound so similar, it didn't really matter if I kept most of them (for instance if it were a "bass" of some kind, chances are there would be many more just like that one "bass" patch but ever so slightly different, and I could modify a patch later),

2) Synth1 has "its own sound" to some degree, like any other synth. So it's not as though I was going to be able to get specific pad sounds of various other synths which sound different from Synth1, and

3) Maybe I should learn to edit some patches and make some of my own, if I cared that much.

It was during editing of some patches that I realized I could only push it so far in any specific direction, that the plugin "has its own sound". It's something I realized about every other synth plugin I'd tried.

And boy did it ever get frustrating finding some really basic patches being copied/pasted/renamed throughout. Oh wow, another bank of beeps and boops, THANKS FOR SAVING THESE, GUYS! lol. Plus the patches which were super loud and distorted. I'm SO GLAD someone took the time to save THOSE! I couldn't POSSIBLY turn up the distortion knob MYSELF!
Old 05-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
dreaminglife

Quote:
What I eventually realized was that there are many shifting factors in how we perceive sound; the room acoustics, our mood, something else we heard just before or after, even the weather.
Yep Ive noticed that a sound i luv one day i cant stand the next. Sometimes I like presets from expensive synths which are very clear and feel non cluttered . Other days they sound cold, lifeless and the Synth1 presets sound alive. Then are times when all Synth1 presets sound acidic.

I also use the free version of Helix which has a few amazing presets.

Proteus has a lot of good sounds as well.

What has frustrated me in the past is hearing presets in youtube videos of great bases and other presets that I can't emulate and cant find anything that sounds remotely the same. My Synths are all free but I will be buying FL studio Signature edition later this year so might get some better synths with it.

It might help if we had a preset forum, where if we wanted to emulate a preset we could all exchange ideas about how to do that. That would be a way of learning how to get the preset you want from your Synth. Also from which synth to get it.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 05-05-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
What I eventually realized was that there are many shifting factors in how we perceive sound; the room acoustics, our mood, something else we heard just before or after, even the weather. When you learn how adapt the sound to these changing conditions, then you stop worrying about perfection because you realize the term is purely relative.
You have just described one of the most important realizations in my life. And why what I do for a living is incredibly difficult sometimes. I chase perfection but it's a moving target, and I have to test under myriad conditions to know if I'm on the right track.

I'm having nightmares of a time when I was trying to work out an amp design, and testing it, while I had a fan running in a room. My ears got used to hearing that fan, and the subconscious/automatic "filtering it out" had an effect on my brain which (I later realized) limited what I was able to hear of the sound, and skewed it significantly.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #19
dreaminglife

Default AllTheSame

Yes James you are right. 1000 or more individual presets, who knows, but like you say many do sound the same.

Why did I start this very long labor?? Because I discovered a few Synth1 presets that were amazing and could make almost anything sound really good.

Your sounds can be what makes your song. Not always but they can really do big things if you discover the right ones.

So I'm looking through the Haystack for those amazing sounds + gathering other good presets.

Is it worth it. Probably not but I've nothing else to do so...