Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Omicron9
Human being with feelings

Default How is speed and efficiency possible in Reaper?

Greetings.

I post this on behalf of a close friend who is a known mix/mastering engineer near London. He's recently joined the forum and can log in, but for some unknown reason cannot post; only read. The following is from an email I share here with his permission. His main tools are Logic and ProTools; however, he has just started exploring Reaper. He asks the following, and I thank you on his behalf for any help and insights that you can provide. I've only migrated to Reaper from Logic a few months ago, so I'm of limited help to him; hence my posting here.

His email begins here:==================

Speed and efficiency are important for me because over days and weeks, working faster adds up to real cash, and more time off.

For me by far the most time spent on a single task in mixing for the setup time. The most time consuming part of set up for me are three things:
1. Setting up AUXs and outputs (sub groups and parallel chains).
2. Setting up FX sends.
3. Loading plugins.

In both Logic and protools each of these tasks can be performed with a single mouse click, with no dialog windows needed. It appears that in Reaper quite a few more mouse clicks are necessary along with various dialog windows (some of which need to be closed as well). So unless I'm missing something (and I may well be) Reaper seems significantly less efficient in these key areas than Protools or Logic. It is this which keeps me from wanting to move over to Reaper.

I'll explain how this one click method works in Logic (Protools is very similar and almost as quick).

1. Setting up FX sends in Logic - mouse down on empty buss slot - bus menu opens under curser - move curser to desired bus - mouse up - bus is selected and an AUX track connected to the bus is automatically created. That's it, one click and the whole thing is done. No dialog windows needed.

2. Setting up AUXs and outputs (sub groups) in Logic - mouse down on output slot - AUX and output menu opens under curser - move curser to desired AUX or output - mouse up. That's it, one click and the whole thing is done. No dialog windows needed.

3. Loading plugins in Logic - mouse down on an FX slot - User defined plugin menu (with sub folders) opens under cursor - move cursor to desired plugin - mouse up - plugin loads and plugin GUI opens. That's it, one click and the whole thing is done. No dialog windows needed.

Loading FX chains in Logic works the same way (these don't exist in Protools).

This kind of streamlining for these often performed tasks saves me huge amounts of time over a day of mixing, let alone a week.

Are any of these one click operations possible in Reaper? If not are there any plans to enable something like this?

Many thanks,
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
domzy

3. if you right click the FX button or a slot that brings up user defined folders & you can load a plugin with one click there.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
karbomusic

They need to invest some time learning how to be efficient in Reaper. Here I'm adding an FX to a track then sending to it in two drag operations. I can think of other efficient methods as well such as right-clicking the FX button and/or IO button but I feel dedicated tabs work fastest. If it is more complex with clients and big projects, then create project templates.

karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
hopi

you friend will have to be willing to learn reaper... there is no way around that
Most of what he wants exists in reaper with the SWS extentions added to it
and then with some added scripts for the rest

Setting up AUX buss for any number of selected tracks along with giving it a color is one clk with custom actions.

adding fx chains to all selected tracks is also a one clk with actions

I doubt your friend will bother to set up reaper for himself... but I hope he does.... because, from what I read in your conversations, it would be faster than what he is used to....

I have only minimally worked in Logic at the side of a friend who uses that...
Compared to reaper it was horrendously frustrating....
That reaper allows a 'track' to be anything is a concept that doesn't hit you at first... but when it does... OMFG!
FWIW, we were not mixing but tracking in Logic and just to send several midi tracks by channel to a vsti was ugly... in reaper is it totally easy...

don't recall if it was you or another person yaking about automation for a group of items in PT being so wonderful...
but I don't get why...
In reaper I'd just put all that in a folder and automate the folder [and each of the tracks in it if wanted] and then maybe control it all with a VCA track to boot....

Others have said this and I'll say it once more and then leave ya alone...
People jump between DAW's and find similar functions ready made in them.
Reaper is a totally different critter... Almost anything you can imagine is there BUT you have to set it up for YOUR OWN desires....
It's like a lump of clay... one user want to make it a bowl and another want it to be a plate.... Either way it can be done with few exceptions.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron9 View Post
For me by far the most time spent on a single task in mixing for the setup time. The most time consuming part of set up for me are three things:
1. Setting up AUXs and outputs (sub groups and parallel chains).
2. Setting up FX sends.
3. Loading plugins.
1:
- Create a track
- Send some other tracks to it (see 2)
- Disable their Master/Parent sends (Alt+Click on their "Route" button, on Windows) to route them solely through the Aux.
- For hardware outputs, click an empty send slot and - yes, a window opens - choose the outputs you want to use.

2:
- Create a track
- Click+drag from another track's Route button to create a send. If you select multiple tracks you can create a bunch of sends at once.

The routing window does open when you create a send, but your other hand can be reaching for Escape to close it immediately.

3:
- Click an empty FX slot
- Scroll through and double-click the plugin you want, or:
- Right-click an empty FX slot and use the Quick Add menu - Reaper populates it for you when plugins provide the right information, but you can add them yourself as well.

Quote:
It appears that in Reaper quite a few more mouse clicks are necessary along with various dialog windows (some of which need to be closed as well).
Reaper is often accused of providing too many different ways to do the same task. If one way feels slow/clunky, you're probably missing a different one.

There are certainly areas where it could be better, but for many of those we have a huge library of user scripts available via ReaPack to automate almost anything.
Lokasenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
Greg Savage

If I'm not mistaken, he might have to make 5-10 replies before he can post his own thread.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote