Old 05-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Rshwin
Human being with feelings

Default Simple Editing problems

So I've watched all the tutorials and none specifically apply to my problem. I have recorded 5 tracks of guitar pieces from bar 5 to 178. There are roughly 7 different guitar parts that run from 4 measures to 6 measures each. Each part will repeat roughly 4 times within the song body. So on track 3 and 4 (2 different inputs of the same take)I liked the parts between measure 56 and 88 better than the parts between measures 112 an 144. So I thought I could copy track three between measure 56 and measure 88 and paste it between measures 112 and 144. So I highlighted the time frame between 112 and 144 and hit delete and it worked. Then I highlighted the time frame between measures 56 and 88 and selected "copy items/tracks/envelope points within time frame (if any)" then I went to measure 112 and double clicked it (thinking I'm selecting it) and set the cursor at measure 112 and hit paste. The copied measures pasted over the tail end of the song on track one. So I had to hit redo until that was cleared then I tried it again and again. Varying whether I am selecting Copy items/tracks/envelope points within or ignoring time frame. I tried dragging the section pasted to where it is supposed to go but then it added 8 measures of empty before the phrase I copy/pasted. I'm sorry it should be a very simple item to do. What am I doing wrong?
Rshwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
Rshwin

Default So now I can only see the waveform of my track

Well I played around with splitting the "item" as per the tutorial on "Comping" yet though I set all the settings the same as the video I had very different results. In the track I tried to do the editing... I can see the wav form of the music I recorded, and even if I export the track contents and re-convert it into a new project I can hear it... not as good of a quality as it sounded before but I can hear it. But in it's original track ... in its original project... it is dead. Only the sound of the metronome clicking away.I am so glad I haven't purchased this DAW. You all have tried to cram so much into this DAW that it cannot do the simple any longer. I think I'd be better off writing one myself... it may take less time in the long run.
Rshwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
hopi

write your own ... really? let me know when it is ready to beta test plz.

maybe what you should do is record old style, ...one recording on one track and the next one on another track, etc.

then you can just split each one where you want to split it
then you can have a totally new track and drag and drop copies of your favorite parts to that track... mute the others and be done

There are of course other ways, thousands of us do them happily... but at least you could get some sounds for now until you can write you own DAW
Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshwin View Post
The copied measures pasted over the tail end of the song on track one. So I had to hit redo until that was cleared then I tried it again and again. Varying whether I am selecting Copy items/tracks/envelope points within or ignoring time frame.

I hear your pain. When I first tried editing in Reaper it was driving me nuts. And I was just trying to duplicate a whole section of a song.

I tried it just then and the bad memories returned. I don't know if Reaper has a bug or is very sensitive to how you paste it. But just then I was getting duplicated tracks! I thought I chose paste. Instead it added a track!

Okay so it needs some attention to detail. For what you want, which to me, looks like a simple copy of one track section to another section, the following should work. I tested it and eventually got it to work.

1. So first I switch ripple editing off. I click on the track waveform and make my selection. Making sure both the track panel on left and waveform on right are highlighted.

2. From the Edit menu pick the one that copies track within time selection.

3. Now navigate to section on track you want to paste to. Click it. Making sure both the track panel on left and waveform on right are highlighted again as before. Now Paste!

Hopefully it worked.

If not then I somehow stumbled onto the trick. You may need to record a GIF and show the pasting craziness. ;-)

Good luck! :-)
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
serr

Write your own DAW when you can't even... sorry.

Reaper is selection based for everything.

Copied items are pasted at the play head/edit cursor on the selected track.

The selected item(s) are what gets copied.

The focus on items vs tracks bit:
Clicked last on an item to select it? Focus is on items now.
Clicked on a track last? Focus is now on tracks.
Tracks paste following the last selected track FYI.

Coming from a DAW like Protools, you might think "Shit, I have to select the track too?!" at first. The point is you have the option to paste anywhere. Reaper separates time selection from item selection to ALLOW you to work them separately.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote