Old 05-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
Shufflehound
Human being with feelings

Default Draft quality subproject?

The way I find myself using subprojects is when recording new takes while the songs being mixed - that way all the latency causing reverbs and effects already applied to previous instruments won't eat up CPU while I'm recording. Also, the track layout is uncluttered, with just the tracks I'm currently recording there.
The problem however is the render speed begins to crawl after a while.

Is there any way to change the quality settings for subprojects so that they render only "good enough" for tracking to?

Cheers!

Last edited by Shufflehound; 05-22-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Shufflehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
jrengmusic

Alternatively you can freeze the tracks, which i think is way more simpler (and cleaner) for committing FX.

The settings for rendered media (glueing, freezing, subproject, etc) is in Project settings under Advanced tab IIRC

But..REAPER will use the media with that format for rendering the master output, so it’s not advisable to lower the quality of the rendered media. However, you have options to choose the resample quality for Playback vs Render—also could be found in Project settings
Old 05-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Shufflehound

That's an idea, although the purpose of my method is to be able to carry on changing levels and FX in the "mixing" project, while I have a "record" project containing the mixing project - I rarely commit to tracks as I'm making them.

I tried setting the mixing project's default render quality to Lowest, but that hasn't made much difference to the rendering time. Thanks though!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
serr

Different quality audio doesn't really eat up CPU. At least not like the live plugin processing. The main factor in the render time would be the plugin processing.

Now if you're converting sample rate on the fly (and thus also during rendering), that WILL use more CPU. The plugin processing would still be the bigger player if you're seeing long render times though.

Further...
Lowering the quality (eg. from 96k to 44.1k sample rate) would actually start using more CPU time to do the conversion. The opposite of what you want!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 AM   #5
Shufflehound

Yeah, I suspected that would be the case. I suppose I'll deactivate the hungry plugins for whole song subprojects, or put markers for just the part of the song I'm working on. Thanks!