Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Human being with feelings
bitterkitten's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 167
Default Windows 10 18(09) - er, really ok?

Current hw: Dell xps desktop, 16gb ram, sata ssd, i7-7700, RME FF400 with newest driver
OS, Reap: Win 1709 w/all the available updates works great, Reaper x64 5.973

Win 1809 feature update first attempt - ugly.

I know os upgrading often breaks things. Most often it seems to nuke the registration/activation status of some of my plugins. But yesterday I figured I'd give my super solid Win 10 x64 1709 a feature update to 1809, and holy cow, all kinds of stuff got weird in my Reaper x64 5.973.

1809: old warhorse B4II refuses to launch in any way (though I figured this would happen at some point since NI said it shouldn't work for a long time now), but it still worked great in 1709. Same problem standalone or vst. Automatic bridging still enabled in Reaper as far as I can see. As I suspected, several plugins lost their activated status. But most importantly, several of my Reaper files on playback crawled to a messy, cpu crunched near-halt after about 10 seconds of playback. Could be plugin related, maybe not. Should've checked playback with them all disabled.

But since everything is magically awesome in 1709, i used Macrium to roll the whole puppy back. All working 100% again.

Since I've long since merged all my pc sw to a single gloriously fully functional pc, rebuilding the whole thing ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Any 1803/09 users who upgraded from 1709 have any tips on 180x? (Besides the obvious 'why is your DAW on your general purpose everything pc', though I suspect I would still have the same problems)

Thanks reaperites. : )

Last edited by bitterkitten; 04-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.
bitterkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 AM   #2
Human being with feelings
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 18,578

Interesting. I am way past you on os updates & the ONLY issue I have is that every time Windoze decides to set my audio outputs to thwe wrong pair of speaker outs on my RME interface. A one click fix once you are used to it.
I also have B4II and it is still working fine for me in 64bit Win10 Pro. Only "issue" is that it shows the splash screen and asks if I want to run im demo mode every time I instantiate it. Just click the screen away and everything works as it should. Might bwe worth checking what is showing in Native Access.

If you get really stuck & no longer have your original CD I might be able to help.
Brexit Schmexit. Lets have a violent revolution instead. Bagsy the first go with a nuke! (Here, Moggy Moggy...)
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.