Old 05-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #521
BPBaker
Human being with feelings

Some (hopefully actionable?) feedback:

It's very difficult to work on projects with high track counts with the current v6 theme. In general, I've struggled working on projects that have high track counts in Reaper, because it's not possible to completely "zoom out" and see the entire project at once--you still have to scroll up/down to get a sense of the entire session. (I produce podcasts/radio drama and use ambisonics, so sometimes have track counts in the 100-200 range.) This makes is very hard to manage edits that need to synch with other items that are dozens of tracks away from one another.

I love the ability to customize, say, folder indentation size with your v6 script, but would love to have similar abilities to scale/reduce the _horizontal_ size of tracks themselves.

Ideally, we would be able to "zoom out" and see the entire session, (at which point I assume item text and waveforms would disappear--they would just appear as blocks of color).
Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #522
ed209

Great somber feel to this theme - So far I love it!

The theme editor seems interesting, only having tried it for a few minutes I noticed some potential strangeness:

- the color editor gets stuck on one track, no matter if I select other tracks or not
- it's possible to mousewheel scroll on element rows for layouts for tcp and mcp, which was confusing for me in that I had to uncheck stuff after having accidently scrolled
- ALWAYS HIDE, shouldn't that clear the other cells? hm, I guess it doesn't matter but it just seemed odd that it's possible to have all cells as HIDE

anyway, I'm supposed to be preparing for a course in two hours so... thanks for the theme and editor!
/Frederic
Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 AM   #523
Stevie

so why start-colors is so eyes-killers ?
i understend that we can shut them down a bit by using sctipt
maybe basic colors should be common ? in the old way.
and the toxic ones could be done by using script ?
Stevie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #524
SubbaseDnB

Remember people this is a ALPHA

which can be confusing to some as in the Human Real world Alpha is equal to Superior)))
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #525
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
so why start-colors is so eyes-killers ?
From the first post:

Quote:
A bolder contrast palette has been used throughout. OS-drawn and un-themable elements are as bright as they've always been, but this time rather than trying to blend in with them, an overall strong and punchy contrast range has been used throughout the theme. Tracks and panels are roughly the same brightness as they were in V5, but inactive and background elements have been made dark.

Custom colors are now exactly the color you chose. Everywhere. You may now use the full range of custom colors to highlight important tracks and dim less critical background tracks.

This likely means that any existing projects colored in with the V5 theme will have eye-searingly strong colors.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #526
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
I've just scratched the surface, but the concept is very good allowing alternative layouts to be attempted without any knowledge of themes or scripting.

I have a question regarding the automation of the concept.

Will it be possible to assign function keys to control aspects of the script?

If my question is not clear let me know and I'll provide an example or two.

Very interesting UI approach White Tie.
Also...would it be possible to control font sizes in the script?
Interactively or automated?
hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #527
airon

Pretty interesting for the colours. You really need to go for new colours.

My swatch script works best with pastel colours. Saturation at 0.6 to 0.7 on both ends. Luminance in the upper half at the very least.

The script is in Reapack. Just search for "swatch".

The bummer is that a selected track looks completely different to when its unselected.

Considering the colour needs to be rather light, the tracks being selected makes them even brighter. The MCP highlights the extended mixer (insert/send/parameterknobs area) when the track is selected, so there it's easier to tell if a track is selected, even if it has a very bright colour.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #528
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Please talk me through your workflow that leads you to need more than 3 layouts - because of the way this all works, it would be a big decision to add another one. However many I add will be one less than the number someone needs
1. Normal
2. Small
3. Sidebar
4. Separator

First three also have red fader versions which are turned on whenever I do something to those tracks that requires that layout (this is my personal contraption, would take too much text to explain how it works and I don't think it's relevant). So I actually use 6 layouts + separator layout.

So I would say 3 is a good number BUT some people might use some kind of folder layout. So I would say that these 4 layouts would be something that would cover most people's needs: Normal, small, sidebar, folder

Oh, and this is MPC wise! When it comes to TCP I just use one layout that enables me to have everything visible in one line. So can't comment on TCP xd
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #529
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
The bummer is that a selected track looks completely different to when its unselected.
Yes, yes, this is a problem I notice very often probably with all themes. For me, marking a selected track with a highlighted color is not productive. I'd vote for a border.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #530
ecl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Yes, yes, this is a problem I notice very often probably with all themes. For me, marking a selected track with a highlighted color is not productive. I'd vote for a border.
That´s the main reason why I started to modify Themes when started with Repaer, almost 5 years ago.

I wrote a post about that and also suggesting another folder collapse level, but was fully ignored even it was expressed in constructive terms.

I don't know how to insert a moving gift in the post (sorry), so you'll have to click on the image if you want to see want I'm talking about.

ecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #531
Vagalume

Being construtive is just the expected attitude.

Anyway I also prefer a border, in fact I have got it that in my own theme, it is not difficult to do it. I don't see a problem if WT doesn't want it, any of us can do it, or there are plenty of themes with it. It is not a feature that we can't get because of WT.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #532
+NRG

I like the border idea for the selected track and media item and use that on my theme as well. But, the problem I see is making the border stand out when using really light colors (selected by the user).
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 AM   #533
ecl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Being construtive is just the expected attitude.

Anyway I also prefer a border, in fact I have got it that in my own theme, it is not difficult to do it. I don't see a problem if WT doesn't want it, any of us can do it, or there are plenty of themes with it. It is not a feature that we can't get because of WT.
Hi , even been what expected, this thread haven't had that attitude at the begining...

I know that is not hard to do the border, in fact I enjoyed a lot modifying and making my own theme, but I undertand that not everybody knows how to do it or simply just want to know in a very clearly way which tracks or items are selected without having to be editing themes.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:29 AM   #534
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I have actually answered the question about borders. I understand that when a thread gets noisy its not very appealing to read the whole thing, but if I answer the same question twice that just adds to the noise, so its difficult for me to know what the right thing to do is.

Please also understand that if I don't directly reply to a comment, that doesn't mean I haven't read it. If I don't take action on it, that doesn't mean I'm never going to take action on it. If I never take action on it, that doesn't mean I didn't consider it but other factors made me go another way.

Items with borders are absolutely fine if your work doesn't involve lots of little tiny edits, you may never see the problem. But it is there, it has been trialled several times and it affects too many people for it to be appropriate for the default theme. It turns into a mess when things are small.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #535
vitalker

Quote:
Items with borders are absolutely fine if your work doesn't involve lots of little tiny edits, you may never see the problem. But it is there, it has been trialled several times and it affects too many people for it to be appropriate for the default theme. It turns into a mess when things are small.
Again. Could we please have borders visible for items with width more than x pixels? It would solve this problem.
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #536
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If it requires changes to Reaper, its a feature request. And I can't help with that.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #537
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post

This is beautiful!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #538
vitalker

Quote:
If it requires changes to Reaper, its a feature request. And I can't help with that.
I know... Then we should firstly create some FRs, so it will be easy for you to make a gorgeous and usable theme.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #539
Triode

Quote:
Here is an arrangement with some pretty busy cuts with an outline that is thinner on the left and right edges than the top. Does this look "messy" or "useful"? I personally like that selected state is easily visible on both muted and un-muted audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Again. Could we please have borders visible for items with width more than x pixels? It would solve this problem.
The pink lines are sort of doing this on zoomed items here no?

Old 05-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #540
peter5992

Just a quick note to thank you for all your work, White Tie, it's fantastic.

I especially like the new mixer view, where child tracks are slightly elevated. This is a big visual help for me as I use parent / child folders extensively in my orchestral template. It's one of the features I most love about Reaper.

General question (for everyone): my current favorite theme is PT 2.0.5 by Alberto, can I continue to use that in Reaper if I so choose?
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #541
Crumbfort

Really like what I'm seeing thus far! I haven't jumped into testing yet (haven't ever done any Reaper pre-release testing, will have to figure out how to jump in!).

Sorry if this has been covered (or is considered a FR? I hope not, but apologies in advance if so), but a big thing I would LOVE to have in the default theme is a TCP layout that is really vertically thin when zoomed all the way out. If the track name/mute/solo/record/fx/etc buttons could still be visible that would be amazing. (In Logic Pro X, for example, I can view around 88 tracks at once in the arrange zoomed all the way out while still having access to mute/solo/record/etc..)

I'm currently using a modded default v5 theme with a modifed TCP layout that allows me to view around 72 tracks at once (32 inch monitor at 2k). Would be great if we could view even more than that for larger templates!

Once again, sorry if this is considered a Reaper FR and not relevant to the development of this theme, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #542
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post

General question (for everyone): my current favorite theme is PT 2.0.5 by Alberto, can I continue to use that in Reaper if I so choose?
I don't think anything is going to change in such a way to prevent previous themes from working.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #543
JohnnyMusic

Default Is this a theme currently available for v5? It's pretty dope!

Is this a theme for v5/ Thanks.
Quote:
That´s the main reason why I started to modify Themes when started with Repaer, almost 5 years ago.

I wrote a post about that and also suggesting another folder collapse level, but was fully ignored even it was expressed in constructive terms.

I don't know how to insert a moving gift in the post (sorry), so you'll have to click on the image if you want to see want I'm talking about.

JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #544
ramses

I mostly like the new theme. Stuff I don't care for so much:

- track names are not in a straight line when mcp child tracks are indented. Makes reading and quickly recognizing track names difficult.

- colored track names in MCP. I don't think there is a good reason for this. Panels are already colored. Colored track names in MCP makes reading and quickly recognizing track names difficult.

- that the whole area of the panels are colored, both in MCP and TCP. I personally find that using narrower color-strips instead of coloring the whole panel makes for a much tidier and more cohesive whole. It also makes track selection much more obvious and clear, as the uncolored part of all selected panels always gets tinted/modified/changed to look the same way regardless of what track color is choosen. Perhaps this is out of the question, but if so I would like to hear the reasoning behind it both from design and user perspective.

Last edited by ramses; 05-09-2019 at 03:00 AM.
ramses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #545
carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post

The pink lines are sort of doing this on zoomed items here no?

It would be better if the frames with the text were above the item top edge, not obstructing the view of the waveform.
The frames would provide a good background for readability.
At a low zoom level the text should go over the waveform though and frame change for the thinner version.

I think this way even only the top bar of the frame would suffice, thus no messy view with high cut counts. "Selected bar" instead of frame.

There actually is such an option in the theme tweaker, but it's thin, not functioning as a text background.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #546
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
It would be better if the frames with the text were above the item top edge, not obstructing the view of the waveform.
Fully agreed!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 AM   #547
Triode

That picture was from a mod of another theme called Imperial.

I was using it to illustrate how outlines on items can look and open further discussion on whether they are informative or messy.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #548
ecl

Quote:

Please also understand that if I don't directly reply to a comment, that doesn't mean I haven't read it. If I don't take action on it, that doesn't mean I'm never going to take action on it. If I never take action on it, that doesn't mean I didn't consider it but other factors made me go another way.

Thanks WT ¡¡¡
Old 05-09-2019, 01:17 AM   #549
ecl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMusic View Post
Is this a theme for v5/ Thanks.
Yes It is ¡¡¡
Old 05-09-2019, 02:06 AM   #550
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
outlines on items can look and open further discussion on whether they are informative or messy.
Borders on items is not a novel new idea filled with opportunities to solve the problem at hand. Its a very old idea that has been trialled several times.

This doesn't work without trust. If you give me a new idea, a new way of looking at things, that is gold to me. Trust me, I will pursue it with vigour. If you tell me about something and I explain that I am aware of it, have examined it and its not appropriate, you need to trust me on that. I'm afraid I have far too much to do to spend time reopening old dead-ends.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 AM   #551
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
The mixed messages and the escalatingly defensive vibe

Quote:
I'm afraid we always have to go through this stage. Every time.
We don't if you would stop acting defensive so often and communicate like normal people do.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #552
mespotine

Quote:
Just click on the image on the imgbb-Website with the right mousebutton and click copying the image address.

https://i.ibb.co/Z2Xf7CR/Pre-Fx.gif

Old 05-09-2019, 02:57 AM   #553
bFooz

For an idea - mixer is currently organised as meter-fader-controls. Idea is to have fader-meter-controls.

The reason is that while the current option looks good on screenshots/photoshop, they are a static state (photo). Usage is a dynamic state (video) where generally the meter is moving and everything else is static. So the meter draws the most attention to itself and with the proposed idea, it would be the real center of the track.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #554
Vagalume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
The mixed messages and the escalatingly defensive vibe

We don't if you would stop acting defensive so often and communicate like normal people do.
I do not mean to offend but this doesn't help so much either ...
Old 05-09-2019, 03:11 AM   #555
Triode

Quote:
you need to trust me on that. I'm afraid I have far too much to do to spend time reopening old dead-ends.
I've been using that method for years. Yes it's not new. It's just the only way I've found where I can identify selections across muted and un-muted audio. If the sides are skinny thin they don't look messy to me.

Very grateful for your Imperial theme and I'll most likely contine with it through reaper v6.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:27 AM   #556
ecl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
Just click on the image on the imgbb-Website with the right mousebutton and click copying the image address.

Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

Old 05-09-2019, 03:36 AM   #557
Coachz

Quote:
I'm afraid we always have to go through this stage. Every time.

Yes, its tricky. But if you find yourself coming from a position that I'm a bad designer / malicious / not listening / doing what I want, then experience has shown that it doesn't actually matter; we're simply never going to be able to have an effective design relationship anyway.
Quote:
How do you know it doesn't help? Maybe he will see the light !!!

https://youtu.be/RT8wwODgaOs?t=113
Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 AM   #558
Vagalume

Lol Ok, but there are some posts in the thread ... there is a cause-effect relation .... you know what I mean ...

Let's try to be possitive ...
Old 05-09-2019, 04:19 AM   #559
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Never mind. Edited, there's no need for me to be snarky about this. Let's just hope it all works out in the end.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #560
Coachz

Quote:
Lol Ok, but there are some posts in the thread ... there is a cause-effect relation .... you know what I mean ...

Let's try to be possitive ...
Of course.

My goal is always to make things better in the Reaper COMMUNITY but I have no problem calling out what I and others here deem bad petulant behavior. Review my last 6,324 posts and you will see I work very hard to be a contributing member of the community and to do positive things. I will not sit by though when things don't make sense. I will try to fix them.

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." – Helen Keller