Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
mcurran
Human being with feelings

Default Running Multiple Instances of a VST on Separate Tracks

Is it possible to run multiple instances of a virtual midi instrument on different tracks?

For example, here's one thing I am trying to do with a VST called Addictive Drums 2:

I don't want to put different parts of a kit on separate tracks, I only want to put different Beats/patches on different tracks.

1] I have AD2 on Track one, I dragged and dropped a Beat there. It plays fine.
2] I open Track 2. I want to be put a different Beat there. I drag and drop a different beat to Track 2 but only Track one will play. I see Track 2 is getting a signal, [a red VU line but no green] but I can't hear it. I have Midi set to ALL, the track is armed, the Rec Monitor is ON.

Q- Can new instances of of VST [in this case, AD2] be opened and placed on different tracks to play beats and patches simultaneously, or can I only run the AD2 on one track?

If Separate instances are possible, do different midi outputs have to be assigned or will Midi - All Channels work?
mcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurran View Post
Is it possible to run multiple instances of a virtual midi instrument on different tracks?

For example, here's one thing I am trying to do with a VST called Addictive Drums 2:

I don't want to put different parts of a kit on separate tracks, I only want to put different Beats/patches on different tracks.

1] I have AD2 on Track one, I dragged and dropped a Beat there. It plays fine.
2] I open Track 2. I want to be put a different Beat there. I drag and drop a different beat to Track 2 but only Track one will play. I see Track 2 is getting a signal, [a red VU line but no green] but I can't hear it. I have Midi set to ALL, the track is armed, the Rec Monitor is ON.

Q- Can new instances of of VST [in this case, AD2] be opened and placed on different tracks to play beats and patches simultaneously, or can I only run the AD2 on one track?

If Separate instances are possible, do different midi outputs have to be assigned or will Midi - All Channels work?
How have you got track 2 routed? If i understand you correctly this is a track for MIDI - this then needs to be routed somewhere, either to a VSTi on the track or by sending it to a track or output with a MIDI VSTi, synth, sampler etc.

you should be able to load multiple instances of plugins - the MIDI channels you use will depend on how you have it routed, ie where the MIDI data is coming from, but all channels is generally fine if they are being triggered by different sources and are on different tracks
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
mcurran

I probably don't understand, but Track 2 is routed the same as Track 1, it's routed to ALL. The VST is the Addictive Drums 2 on that track.

[My previous question was a little wrong, what is actually happening is that Track 2 plays, but Track 1 only shows a red line and some weird yellow at the top of it.]
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
mcurran

Here is a screen cap of what is happening

https://imgur.com/a/0hBXZ1z?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
domzy

have you got instances of addictive drummer on both those tracks?
if you are just playing MIDI files, why do you have the tracks armed & monitoring on?

i'm still a little confused about what is happening
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
mcurran

Problem solved. The first track is Addictive Drums and has the routing going out to different channel assignments. If I start a new track and drag and drop a beat into that track that has no multiple out assignments it plays fine. Resolved!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
mcurran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
have you got instances of addictive drummer on both those tracks?
if you are just playing MIDI files, why do you have the tracks armed & monitoring on?

i'm still a little confused about what is happening
Domzy I had the tracks armed because I thought one problem I might be having is I had to have them armed to hear them, which of course isn't true, but I was just pressing buttons and hoping to get lucky trying to come up with a solution.

My previous post was that I had solved it but now I have gone back and cannot hear Track one once again. It is set to 'Midi- All Channels'

HOWEVER I noticed a mouse-over note that said 'Master Send Disabled' so I clicked on that and it brought up a window and I checked the 'Master Send' box and now it plays.

So it is playing now.

And I am just as confused as I was before.

I think i need to take a course in this!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
mcurran

Now I have opened a new track and put another VST on that track. [VG-IRON] which is a guitar VST. I can see the red from triggering it on a keyboard and I have monitoring ON and REC armed and I cannot hear it!

The midi channels are set to ALL.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
mcurran

Interstingly, the VST can be played from my external keyboard if I switch the Input to my external keyboard but if I switch the Input to 'Virtual Keyboard' the virtual keyboard will trigger notes but can't be heard.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
hopi

I think you might be a bit confused about routing to and from vsti's

It sounds like you did learn how to have individual drums from AD going to different audio tracks... is that true?

IF yes, then you could also try some other things.
Set the track with AD on it to not send to the master, let is only send audio to the individual audio tracks for each kit piece.
now also make a couple new tracks and send them to the AD track
send Audio=None and Midi = All to 1
On those tracks put your midi files... you can drag and drop from AD to them or however you want to get midi on them...
you can have as many of these as you wish
It can be a good way to go since you can have just the kick on one and just the snare on another... etc, etc.

as to the VMK, you must have the midi input on a given track set to the VMK...not to all