Old 11-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
mhuss
Human being with feelings

Default Bug: Disappearing Audio

(Cross post from general forum)
I had a weird problem the other night. I was recording drum tracks on six channels using my trusty old MOTU Ultralite mk3, as I have done many times. I'd record a take, all meters in the zone, waveform drawing on all six tracks, hit stop, click on the [Save All] button, and when the Select Files dialog disappeared, one of the six tracks (not always the same one) would change from waveform to straight line(!), with zero audio playback on that channel. The odd thing is that everything looked completely normal up until dismissing that final dialog (see image in General thread).

Anyone ever seen this kind of thing before?

REAPER 5.961 x64 on a 64 bit Windows 10 Pro v1803 box, i7-3770K, 16G RAM.
MOTU Ultralite mk3 and Apollo Twin USB interfaces

A few days later, I'm trying to record a track, absolutely vanilla, mic -> interface, no plug ins, using the Apollo Twin USB this time, and 3 out of 4 times after stop recording and click "[Save all]" the track audio disappears altogether!!! (Not even a flatline track now)

If I look in the folder the audio tracks (07-181114_2116.flac or whatever) are there, they just aren't in the project I'm working on. They also are untrimmed, i.e., starting 'before time zero' if the click track starts before time zero.

The fact that it happens intermittently implies it's not a configuration problem, and plus I haven't changed anything config-wise for quite a while.

This has been happening since I upgraded to 5.961, and I haven't changed any other hardware or software.
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
n0ne

Lol, was on my way to this forum to describe another sound disappearing problem I've had a couple of times and then saw this post.

YES! I have the same problem at times. While recording reaper is drawing the waveforms fine and when I hit stop the audio disappears. Very strange!

Haven't really been able to find if this is an issue that happens because of eg dropbox or backupsoftware in the background (tried turning these off, dont think that solved the problem because it seems to come out of nowhere).
n0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
mhuss

Curiouser and Curiouser
I was just editing a guitar track, and when I played it back some splits played, and some were silent!! Same thing when I froze the track. I managed to get a freeze captured with all splits playing, but boy this is a PITA.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
JamesPeters

What are your settings under preferences -> audio -> loop recording? Not that I'm blaming what your settings are, so much as wondering if there's a bug with a specific setting.

PS. this may have happened to me too (when I was using Windows 64-bit, Reaper 64-bit) but I blamed myself for messing it up at the time (plus, I record a buttload of takes before choosing one, so I probably didn't care if one was missing if there was even a slight chance I had caused the problem).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 11-15-2018 at 07:01 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
mhuss

I don't think I've ever had this dialog open before.

I'm 98% sure none of this happened before 5.961 and 100% sure I never saw it before 5.96
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LR.jpg (26.6 KB, 156 views)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
JamesPeters

That bottom setting, try "at each loop" just in case. I set mine that way after I (think I) had the same problem. At least it might help narrow down where the bug is.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote