Old 12-09-2018, 04:00 AM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Zoom HR-V3 + GoPro Fusion Thread

I moved this to it's own thread, yay the H3-VR arrived yesterday...

^That bracket comes with the H3.

I haven't had much time to work with it. I did try something that didn't work that I think should have worked - FYI that below I'm using the H3-VR to onboard encode Format A into Ambix so it's already Ambix when I get it...

1. Record audio/video via Fusion 360 and H3-VR.
2. Pull those files into the PC.
3. Stitch the video with Ambix embedded with the Fusion mic array.
4. Bring that stitched video and the H3-VR Ambix 4-channel WAV into Reaper.
5. Mute the 4-channel Ambix audio in the video track.
6. Align the 4-channel H3-VR Ambix audio with the video track.
7. Export as MP4 as 4-channel Audio (I confirmed the 4-channel audio exists in the file).
8. Inject 360 Video/Spatial Audio meta data into the file via Google's Spacial Media Meta Data Injector. (I confirmed the 4-channel audio exists in the injected file).
9. Upload to You tube.

If I do this without steps 4-8 using the original 4-Channels from the Fusion, it functions properly on YT - I get a 360 VR video and the proper sound stage that pans with the video (IOW if I stop at step 3 and upload, it all works but that's not good because it's the Fusion mics) - if I do the intermediate steps above (4-8), all works the same except the Ambix Spatial audio doesn't work.

I think I'm missing something because should theoretically work without any Ambisonic plugins in Reaper no? Because it's already in the format needed and there is no folding etc. needed. I'm just replacing the 4-channel Ambix in the video with the 4-Channel Ambix from the H3-VR. Ideally I want to be able to edit the video in Reaper or Davinci Resolve then at some point replace the Fusion embedded Ambix with the H3-VR Ambix. It's possible I made an oversight and need to try again.

The only other quick test I was able to complete was to record the H3-VR to binaural WAV, I just strolled around the camera saying "north, northeast, east, southeast, etc. until I cycled 360 degrees. That worked but no video was involved, just listening to the recorded file on headphones.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
karbomusic

Default More Testing...

I think I've made some progress...

Replacing Fusion 360 Audio with H3-VR Audio

I had made a mistake or two before, I was using a clip with me circling the mic when I needed to be in a single position to test panning a 360 video using Ambix Audio. That works now, I can import the H3-VR Ambix track, do some processing, mute the original video Ambix track, render as a Video with 4-Channel Ambix (WYZX) from Reaper, inject the VR metadata and voila, works on YT, low-res test below. This should also work with VR headset or iPhone with a cardboard viewer using the YT App:

This should work embedded here if the browser such as Chrome is aware:

Otherwise... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_1j6rzTxh8

Processing the H3-VR Ambix in Reaper, Video in Resolve

I need the option of working with the H3-VR audio in Reaper and the 360 Video in Davinci Resolve without a 2nd encoding pass.

This works but my last test screwed up something on the Ambix audio, this should be OK once I figure that out.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-09-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I only just found this Karbo. I'm going to have a listen using my DT1990 Pro cans with YouTube on my phone. It will be interesting to see how well YouTube converts this to Binaural.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Dannii

I haven't listened through my cans yet but i now have The Year of The Cat running through my head!!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I haven't listened through my cans yet but i now have The Year of The Cat running through my head!!
Let's make that worse ...

If you have the bandwidth... The acoustic/vocal is just an X/Y pair of KM184s 24" out so that's as-is, overdubs were just later additions because the song sort of needed them. Take care.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
Dannii

Bravo! Beautifully done my friend!
This song is a classic and you've done it justice here. Not an easy task.
The cajon is a nice touch and fits this song well.
Recording wise, you've obtained some lovely warm textures here and everything sits together nicely.
If I could be hyper critical, the only thing i noticed was perhaps some minor intonation issues in the lead solo but I'm really nit picking here.

Regarding the VR video, it works quite well here on the YouTube app on my phone through my Beyer cans. As is pretty typical for most Binaural decoders though, there's a good sense of left/right and the panning in that direction is quite good. However, the up/down and front/back isn't particularly convincing.
That is in no way critical of what you've used though. It is solely a result of YouTube using a one size fits all ears algorithm which is always going to be a compromise.
From an audio quality perspective though, the Zoom certainly captures the warmth of your acoustic quite well.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
karbomusic

ah, thanks. I like the zoom, it's much better than the built-in mics on the Fusion 360 (because the 360 is water resistant). Zoom doesn't handle high SPL that well though, it really needs a 10dB pad at minimum for stuff like a live band. I do have a test video somewhere with it in the middle of the practice room and since we play in a circle you can sort of pan around audio and video. Nice catch on the intonation, it's very likely my slightly flat or sharp bend, with the requirement of no post edits, I left it as-is.

The Fusion 360 is pretty great, not so great in low light but it is 5.2k - the main thing I've used it for is sitting in the middle of the rehearsal room because I can extract 1080p views anywhere in the field which allows me to virtually increase my camera count. I think there are two vids in collab where I did that.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-09-2019 at 08:38 AM.