Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Default basic video-editing related questions

I already posted the following questions back in July 2017 but did not get a single reply

Now that we've got the dedicated video sub-forum I'm hoping for some clarification:

1. Is it imperative for video item placement that video items start exactly on the frame boundaries/frame grid (of the corresponding frame rate) or can video items be placed anywhere?

2. Is the grid placement depending on wether a video is interlaced or progressive (potential flickering issues, especially if video will be played back on conventional CRT-TVs and not exclusively on LED/LCD monitors)?

3. When I crossfade video items on the same track ("item fade affects video"- plugin enabled) - with a frame rate grid enabled, when I then re-adjust the end of the crossfade, the fade moves without respecting the grid (causeing the end of the fading video not to be on a full frame boundary. Should this be avoided?

4. What is the best work flow to include videos of different fame rates into the same video? Is it necessary to convert all videos to a common video project frame rate prior to inserting them into the Reaper project? I'd prefer to not repeatedly re-compress video material.

5. Do I have to care about the field order of interlaced source video files (upper/lower field) when rendering the final video? There's currently no option in the render dialog to adjust field order. Is this done automatically by Reaper?

Any clarification is greatly apprechiated!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Philbo King

AFAICT it doesn't make any difference if video items align to a frame boundary.

I don't know about how it handles interlaced video. Is that even used any more?

I see video get resampled to the project settings when imported (dragged in) from Media Explorer. You can tell if that happened; it is indicated by a green "I" above the imported video media item. If you prefer to avoid resampling, before importing use Project Settings to set the audio sample rate to 48KHz and video resolution and frames/sec to match the stuff you want to import.

Video crossfade artifacts during playback are pretty common, especially if there is a lot of on-the-fly resampling, effect plugins, and system resources are tight. I've found (so far) that rendered output always works correctly though.

When you render, note the render speed ratio. If it is less than one, it means your system can't play this project back perfectly in real time due to CPU/RAM/drive bandwidth limitations. You can freeze tracks with effects on them to relieve some processing load on the system. You can also reduce resolution in Project Settings (instead of 1920x1080, divide both mumbers by 4) so playback uses less resources (You can still render at full resolution).

I'm still a beginner at video in Reaper - I've edited 10 or 20 perfomance videos and put them on Youtube/Facebook. I recently got more ambitious; I'm recording video of my tracking sessions for a new song and importing them all into the Reaper audio project to make a music video. All this is to say there are probably things I got wrong in this post; I'm counting on other forum members to straighten me out on those things if I made any mistakes.

Last edited by Philbo King; 12-05-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I already posted the following questions back in July 2017 but did not get a single reply

Now that we've got the dedicated video sub-forum I'm hoping for some clarification:

1. Is it imperative for video item placement that video items start exactly on the frame boundaries/frame grid (of the corresponding frame rate) or can video items be placed anywhere?

2. Is the grid placement depending on wether a video is interlaced or progressive (potential flickering issues, especially if video will be played back on conventional CRT-TVs and not exclusively on LED/LCD monitors)?

3. When I crossfade video items on the same track ("item fade affects video"- plugin enabled) - with a frame rate grid enabled, when I then re-adjust the end of the crossfade, the fade moves without respecting the grid (causeing the end of the fading video not to be on a full frame boundary. Should this be avoided?

4. What is the best work flow to include videos of different fame rates into the same video? Is it necessary to convert all videos to a common video project frame rate prior to inserting them into the Reaper project? I'd prefer to not repeatedly re-compress video material.

5. Do I have to care about the field order of interlaced source video files (upper/lower field) when rendering the final video? There's currently no option in the render dialog to adjust field order. Is this done automatically by Reaper?

Any clarification is greatly apprechiated!

1 - its good practice. digital video only updates on new frames so it makes sense to edit on the frame grid. changes in between can't be seen.

2 - no idea. Doesn't seem like a real problem in 2019

3 - I don't worry about it. changes between the frame grid aren't visible.

4 - set the project to whatever the majority of the videos are, reaper will play back everything else correctly but possibly with dropped frames. Reaper does better than most video editors I've tried in this regard.

5 - I had to google that. Pretty sure this is not something we have control over
Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

For the last question -- REAPER can't really render interlaced. In fact, interlacing, ugh! Can that just die already?!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #5
Eliseat

Interlacing? This only would make sense if those exported videos would be used for TV broadcasting without any further editing. And that's very absurd as every broadcaster could easily convert progressive videos into the desired output format.

Every of today's TVs or Monitors plays progressive (full frame) videos without any problem. Interlacing was only used to reduce data in broadcasting and within camcorders. As it theoretically reduces the resolution it is highly recommended to combine old interlaced material and only use non interlaced video. Everything else just complicates further applications as we can see here in this thread.

Greetings
Eli

To make it short, SonicAxiom: If you have interlaced source material and want to edit it in Reaper, just check the de-interlace preset in the video processor and don't mind that Reaper outputs your masterpiece as full, fat and progressive video file.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

Thanks a lot for the input, folks!!!