Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
GameAudioRvlzzr
Human being with feelings

Default e-Ink Keyboard with Icons on Keys

https://www.dpreview.com/news/526748...and-other-apps

I thought this would be interesting to use with reaper, what do you think?
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
_Stevie_

Pretty cool stuff, reminds me of the Optimus Popularis from Art Lebedev. Looks affordable, too.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #3
azslow3

Several such projects was announced during the last decade...
There is one big problem with all of them: the price.

And there is another big problem with e-ink based keyboards: there are almost useless for program like REAPER. Let me explain:
* unlike alphabet, REAPER actions are hard to show as a small character. So you can not put more then 2 descriptions on one key space, for some actions even 2 will be too much.
* by technology, e-ink is black/while and has significant update time

As the result, you can not display real action which is going to be performed with all possible key combinations (Shift+, Ctrl+, Ctrl+Shift+, etc.). For dynamic update when the modifier is pressed the display is too slow, for static picture it is too small. Also dynamic update will need special software (REAPER extension).

And in case you want just one REAPER (or other program) specific labels, you can produce them for ~$10 and glue on ~$10 keyboard.

PS. You can even use a dedicated keyboard with REAPER, with custom key assignments and in parallel with your normal one. Like a 102 keys MIDI controller.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
GameAudioRvlzzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
* unlike alphabet, REAPER actions are hard to show as a small character. So you can not put more then 2 descriptions on one key space, for some actions even 2 will be too much.
* by technology, e-ink is black/while and has significant update time

As the result, you can not display real action which is going to be performed with all possible key combinations (Shift+, Ctrl+, Ctrl+Shift+, etc.). For dynamic update when the modifier is pressed the display is too slow, for static picture it is too small. Also dynamic update will need special software (REAPER extension).
Interesting, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
And in case you want just one REAPER (or other program) specific labels, you can produce them for ~$10 and glue on ~$10 keyboard.

PS. You can even use a dedicated keyboard with REAPER, with custom key assignments and in parallel with your normal one. Like a 102 keys MIDI controller.
Really, i can run 2 keyboards at the same time and each can have different key assignments? I didn't know that, thanks!
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameAudioRvlzzr View Post
Really, i can run 2 keyboards at the same time and each can have different key assignments? I didn't know that, thanks!
That is not a standard feature: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=206012
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote