Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #41
gkurtenbach
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
There have been similar issues in the past with IKMM Antares and Waves where the companies were sorta in denial but eventually put the effort in to setting their own houses in order, so hopefully a combination of us nagging & both Izotope's and Reaper's doing what they can will smooth things out for ALL VST3s

And predictably, only one of my Izotope plugs consistently gives problems and 99% of the time all other VST3s I own work just fine.
Nagging does help but also telling them how to reproduce the crashes is absolutely critical.

For me, Izotope's VST3 are very stable.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:27 AM   #42
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
You are such a wimp, Dave! Take a deep breath, gird those loins and... nah, you are probably right.

Oops forgot to add that yes I am indeed iLok`ed out to wazoo but I dont get issues with other plugins like I do with the Izotope stuff. Shame as I really like them but like you said there is always VST2.4
To be honest, I haven't noticed any advantage to vst3 over vst2. All I see are reliability issues with vst3 so I avoid using them. The whole vst3 thing seems rather flaky to me.

That old adage, "if it ain't broke..." comes to mind here.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #43
jonboper

Based on reports here I installed the vst2 versions. Big difference. No hitches yet, no unworkable lag. My other vst3s all work fine - FabFilter, Melda, Voxengo - no problems. But, iZotope plugins are still far more cpu-intensive than the others. For those having no problems with the iZotope vst3s, I don't know...that's nice.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #44
Doc Brown

What perfect timing. I just got done dealing with some nasty crashes when trying to open a Reaper project that I just finished and wouldn't you know, crash! I had to close Reaper via task manager. Tried it a few other times and I got a crash report and it basically stated that my newly updated Sonic Projects opx pro II in vst 3 was doing the damage. All of the other instances of that plug in were vst 2 and have never given me a problem.

I luckily was able to get it to open and I froze that track immediately. No more vst 3 for me. What the heck are they doing differently with the newest iteration of vst? I don't know but it's less than stable compared to vst 2 for me at least. Sheesh.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #45
Doc Brown

I was planning on using the new vst 2 version of the same synth plugin I mentioned above and for some reason it always opens the old version with the small gui. I'm wondering if I can rename the updated vst 2 version dll? I tried several times and only the old one opens up. I think it's because the name of both of the dll's are the same.

**edit**

I figured it out. For some reason the new version installs in a folder in my vst directory. I have no idea why the installer does it that way but it's working now.

Last edited by Doc Brown; 02-28-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: new info
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:24 AM   #46
ivansc

I have said this quite a few times before but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.
OUR Reaper VST3 model is (according to Justin hisself!) exactly following the Steinberg spec for same. To the letter.
Not even Steinberg have been that punctilious with their own plugs, apparently!

Which means that when we find a "broken" VST3 it is probably down to faulty implementation by the plugin devs, whether they choose to acknowledge it or not.

Mind you, I suppose Justin COULD be wrong....
Old 02-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #47
jonboper

Quote:
I have said this quite a few times before but it doesn't hurt to repeat it.
OUR Reaper VST3 model is (according to Justin hisself!) exactly following the Steinberg spec for same. To the letter.
Not even Steinberg have been that punctilious with their own plugs, apparently!

Which means that when we find a "broken" VST3 it is probably down to faulty implementation by the plugin devs, whether they choose to acknowledge it or not.

Mind you, I suppose Justin COULD be wrong....
Doesn't hurt to repeat at all. I wouldn't hesitate to blame this on iZotope (I put in a request to them yesterday), as their plugins have always been chompy. I think the vst2 versions are working better for me in Reaper than they ever did in Sonar...
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #48
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
Doesn't hurt to repeat at all. I wouldn't hesitate to blame this on iZotope (I put in a request to them yesterday), as their plugins have always been chompy. I think the vst2 versions are working better for me in Reaper than they ever did in Sonar...
That's the primary reason I've avoided vst3 in 99 percent of cases for my use. Any flakiness I've had with plugins of recent times has been almost exclusively with vst3 versions and from various companies including the likes of u-he whose plugins are generally rock solid. To their credit though, u-he themselves recommend against using vst3 versions if possible.

If I can avoid it, I don't even install vst3 versions of anything when there's the option. When there isn't an option, I then go and move the vst3 files out of the install folder and into one labelled "moved from vst3 folder". One exception I've made is with Waves. Given all the Waveshell stuff, I figure it is better to let Waves do its thing and just avoid loading the vst3 versions in projects.
It's interesting that Waves only officially support vst3 in REAPER. I haven't had any issues with their vst2 versions.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #49
ivansc

Someone earlier said we should sort out a repeatable way of causing the crashes. I dont know about anyone else but mine centre around either authorisation or illegal loading. No consistency at all & I cant figure out a way to force them to happen.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #50
jonboper

The most meaningful part of iZotope's response:

"Thanks for following up. This is a known issue that the Development Team is currently working to address. We appreciate your patience in the meantime."
Old 03-03-2018, 02:02 AM   #51
ivansc

Nice response - at least they acknowledge the problems exist. I may actually be able to go back to using their plugs again soon! Yay!
Old 04-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #52
ovnis

When Ozone 8 or 7 VST2 x64 (at least) are docked and when we try to manage presets inside Ozone or Reaper ("save preset", "rename preset", etc.), Reaper crashs. When they are not docked, all is fine.

ovnis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #53
tzzsmk

schwa - now with latest Ozone 8 ver. 8.02.1012.OSX64.Intel.VST3
not crashing anymore, but takes really long for plugin to load,
when I do a test case of 20 tracks + master, each running one Ozone 8 instance, longest RT CPU block is over 48ms, with RT CPU max at 6.0% (cpu is i7-5820K at 4.3GHz, audio buffer of HDSPe AIO is 512, 12ms roundtrip latency)

are there any additional troubleshooting/diagnostics tools available for Reaper? I'd gladly observe more thoroughly when issues happen
High Sierra i7-5820K @4.3GHz, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface UFX, Octamic D & II, DT-770 M, SE215-K
tzzsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #54
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I think I had the very first quote on iZotope's web page when Ozone first came out, and have been a giant fan of their incredible, prohphetic, forward thinking ever since. Amazed by their ideas.

However, a few years ago, they got so munchy, sticky, buggy, crashy that I just can't use them anymore. I try and instally new versions when they get updates, but at this point I've pretty much written them off for years
Old 12-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #55
ivansc

Me too. such a shame.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #56
bladerunner

All I keep installed these days is the RX plugins for spot corrections - I render then remove the plug.
bladerunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #57
grinder

I had to revert to Reaper v 5.75 mid December 2018 to use and get back tonal balance I found this great plugin and do not wish to let it go
as it tells me what I need to know in my mix.
As my mix place is not a good space or my ears are not up to it I
can achieve better results looking at the Tonal Balance graph.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #58
ChrisBlue

I found this an interesting thread as I am trying to deal with a crashed Reaper which occurred when Toontrack suggested I paste a 64bit path into reaper. What I find most interesting is the deafening silence from the makers of Reaper
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #59
grinder

I reported
huge problems I was having and possibly still have also but have had no reply
from Cockos my troubles have I think gone away reverting to ver 5.75.
The VST search engine in Reaper in the December 2018 version went through and picked up on every .dll file in my computer I had to shut the computer down in the end.

Grinder
Old 01-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #60
tzzsmk

it seems now latest versions of Neutron and Nectar don't crash,
latest version of RX seems stable (although there is still a significant plugin delay compensation around 20 000 ish samples),
latest version of Ozone doesn't crash much, but seems to be most buffer-hungry plugin - I wonder if it would be possible to load plugin disabled by default maybe?
High Sierra i7-5820K @4.3GHz, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface UFX, Octamic D & II, DT-770 M, SE215-K
Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #61
gkurtenbach

I had trouble with nectar 3 crashing Reaper. Izotope's excellent support eventually recommended updating my graphics card drivers--even though windows said they were up to date. This fixed the problem!
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #62
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
I reported
The VST search engine in Reaper in the December 2018 version went through and picked up on every .dll file in my computer I had to shut the computer down in the end.

Grinder
Reaper will only look into the folders you specify in the preferences afaik. I've never known it to exhibit any other behaviour.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #63
tzzsmk

update:
it seems that (at least in MacOS) there are significantly less iZotope plugin crashes if I untick any buffer size request in Reaper preferences, by default MacOS CoreAudio runs at 512 which indeed is more than I have been using most of the time
Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #64
poetnprophet

I posted here last year about issues with Izotope, it actually turned me away for some time. When I came back to Reaper, I had a brand new, updated daw rig and all fresh installs of essentials only. Everything just worked....lucky for me I guess. I never did figure out what the deal was. However, I also only run VST3 as was suggested by someone at some point.

But, I do still get crashes at times and right now I have noticed that if I have Ozone 8 gui open and try to render, it will crash every time. This is now the only time i get crashes, and pretty easy to avoid.

I don't use Nectar anymore, never had RX, but pretty much everything else Izotope works for me. Neutron, Ozone, Insight, StutterEdit, Trash, etc.

Also if you don't have the Izotope utility to manage your plugins, it's actually a nice one and good to check every now and then if there are updates.
poetnprophet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 AM   #65
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
I posted here last year about issues with Izotope, it actually turned me away for some time. When I came back to Reaper, I had a brand new, updated daw rig and all fresh installs of essentials only. Everything just worked....lucky for me I guess. I never did figure out what the deal was. However, I also only run VST3 as was suggested by someone at some point.

But, I do still get crashes at times and right now I have noticed that if I have Ozone 8 gui open and try to render, it will crash every time. This is now the only time i get crashes, and pretty easy to avoid.

I don't use Nectar anymore, never had RX, but pretty much everything else Izotope works for me. Neutron, Ozone, Insight, StutterEdit, Trash, etc.

Also if you don't have the Izotope utility to manage your plugins, it's actually a nice one and good to check every now and then if there are updates.
I wonder if it's something to do with their gui's. They could take anything up to 10 seconds to open for me - even after first instantiation. They would also cause the whole Reaper gui to flicker/redraw (I guess it was redrawing?). Could be graphics card specific?
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #66
grinder

This was frightning seeing Reaper going through the whole of windows dlls"
Blade Runner
I just shut it down.

Grinder

"I reported

Grinder "