Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
thetechguy
Human being with feelings

Default can you play an instrument with just your computer keyboard?

Hi all,
I am a newbie when it comes with reaper. so I am in the 60 day trial. I installed piano 1 the plugin to create some melodies. I was wondering if I can play this instrument with just my computer keyboard. If so how do i do this.
I appreciate any help.
thanks.
P.S I am running a windows 10 computer with reaper 64 bit 5.
thetechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
fred garvin

Alt-B by default brings up a virtual keyboard. But that's not likely to be very satisfying, I'd only use that to audit sounds or such in a pinch. Honestly I don't even know if you can record that way, never tried. If I was to need to try to make some music with no keyboard or etc. I'd use the MIDI editor first, you can just draw in notes, volumes, etc.

Good luck, have fun, welcome to Reaper!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechguy View Post
Hi all,
I am a newbie when it comes with reaper. so I am in the 60 day trial. I installed piano 1 the plugin to create some melodies. I was wondering if I can play this instrument with just my computer keyboard. If so how do i do this.
I appreciate any help.
thanks.
P.S I am running a windows 10 computer with reaper 64 bit 5.

Welcome to Reaper. You can play an instrument with your computer keyboard, but the experience is poor ... I recommend getting a midi keyboard, so much better. Not sure how music computer savvy you are, but a midi keyboard very much looks like a piano, but isn't .. the purpose is to allow you to play virtual instruments that you load up in Reaper.

Check out the Reaper mania videos by Kenny Gioia, they are very helpful.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
thetechguy

I have seen the tutorial videos. I want to try my computer keyboard first because I don't have a midi device.
thanks.
thetechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechguy View Post
I was wondering if I can play this instrument with just my computer keyboard. If so how do i do this.
If you still need an answer to this: First, press Alt-B to display the virtual keyboard or select "View" from the top menu then "Virtual MIDI Keyboard" (previously mentioned but I want my answer to be complete).

Arm the track whose sound you want to hear. Click on the Virtual MIDI Keyboard window to ensure it has the focus, then along the bottom of the virtual keyboard, you can see what key on your computer keyboard will play which note. Press a key on your computer keyboard, hear the sound.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
martifingers

I found it annoying that when not focused that the sound would stop. It helps to right click the virtual keyboard and select "Send Midi when other windows are open" .. that's not exact wording but from memory BTW!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Jorgen

I've done this and it's doable if you have a bit of patience. BUT you must right-click the recording button on the track where you have put your vst instrument and chose record midi input - virtual midi keyboard. Also press the button above the rec button so you can monitor/listen to the sound. And, as stated, to send midi info, the virtual midi keyboard must be in focus (click on it to select it/bring it to focus).
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote