Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Kyoto
Human being with feelings
 
Kyoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 35
Default Major-sounding Japanese scale?

Hi all,

I'm working on a project and I'm trying to find a major-sounding Japanese scale. I've found the Jirajoshi, Yo, Insen and Kumoi scales, but all of them sound either very minor, creepy or both. I'm trying to find something that will sound like these:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7gEvkISbM
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h0-xhs8uhw

Any ideas what scales they are using, or a suggestion for a major sounding Japanese scale?
Kyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
bob
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scottish refugee in Germany
Posts: 3,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoto View Post
Hi all,

I'm working on a project and I'm trying to find a major-sounding Japanese scale. I've found the Jirajoshi, Yo, Insen and Kumoi scales, but all of them sound either very minor, creepy or both. I'm trying to find something that will sound like these:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7gEvkISbM
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h0-xhs8uhw

Any ideas what scales they are using, or a suggestion for a major sounding Japanese scale?
The Iwato scale? C,Dflat,F, Gflat Bflat,C
__________________
SoundCloud Channel
https://soundcloud.com/stream
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,586
Default

Thanks Bob. Just tried this on guitar... very wonderful sound it is too. Still kinda reflective/melancholy to my (mostly) Western ear and oddly sometimes seems to pull towards the third (F) as the tonic when I try improvising. I am sure that is my ignorance. Does Japanese music have modes BTW?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
zappadave
Human being with feelings
 
zappadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,250
Default

The Yo scale used in Japanese folk music
C: C, D, F, G, A, C
__________________
Music is the best
เพลง ที่ดีที่สุดคือ
zappadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #5
bob
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scottish refugee in Germany
Posts: 3,988
Default

The notes in the first piece are D F G A C D. its a pentatonic. There are many names that could be applied to the scale
__________________
SoundCloud Channel
https://soundcloud.com/stream
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Kyoto
Human being with feelings
 
Kyoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The notes in the first piece are D F G A C D. its a pentatonic. There are many names that could be applied to the scale
Thanks Bob! That does sound like the tune. I also came across the guzheng tuning, which is usually D, E, F#, A, B. Apparently when I thought of a major sounding Japanese scale I actually.. thought of a chinese one!
Kyoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 AM   #7
bob
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Scottish refugee in Germany
Posts: 3,988
Default

__________________
SoundCloud Channel
https://soundcloud.com/stream
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
davetbass
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
The Yo scale used in Japanese folk music
C: C, D, F, G, A, C
...and Allman Brothers jams!
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.