Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
GMC Phil
Human being with feelings

Default Equipment /software upgrade advice please

Hello folks,
I'm currently using a Sony camcorder, Reaper, Windows Movie Maker and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen.
I mainly record very small projects for lessons and workshops for instructors to critique where I learn to play guitar online. If it helps you can find examples there, just search for collab www.guitarmasterclass.net

I have got pretty quick at syncing the sound file to the video in the simple, but ideal for me, Movie Maker but it would be lovely to be able to capture sound and video in some sort of software so I don't have to manually sync.

What do you suggest? What should I look for in a camera, I can't output directly to my computer with my current one so I have to transfer the file. What software can I use with a quick learning curve?

Thank you for your help.

Phil
GMC Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
vdubreeze

Hi Phil,

You should be able to use Reaper to import the video and audio from your card and export back as video. No syncing needed.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
serr

The only way to avoid sync'ing would be to run all devices (video camera + audio interface) from the same clock. You'd have to have one slave to the other.

If both devices have the clock connections to do that then you're golden. If not, then it's a hard no.

Sync'ing digitally recorded audio to video (cue off the reference audio from the video) is actually pretty painless. It's still just like working with analog in that it's literally a different speed and pitch. Untick the box in item properties for 'preserve pitch when changing tempo' to get veri-speed mode (classic linked pitch and speed) and it's a quick option-drag of an item edge to resize. Elastique Pro gives you a fully lossless veri-speed adjustment.

Unlike analog tape deck motors, you don't have the constant back and forth. Usually it's a single 5 second click-drag adjustment and you're done. Something a couple hours long might be one or two subdivisions.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
GMC Phil

Thanks for your answers,

I was hoping there would be some video editing software that I could specify the video capture device and audio capture device then just clip the ends off the video.

I know it's pretty painless syncing but if I could avoid the step it would be nice.

Cheers

Phil
Old 01-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Ah, I get it. Was thinking you recorded direct video and audio in camera. I'm not versed in Windows but in OS X there are several options for apps that take the camera video and interface audio at the same time, in sync. But which model camera is it? Is it capable of recording directly into the computer? Less expensive video cameras will have USB for transferring their contents but can't record live directly into the editing app.

If it can't, but it has a line input, the easiest way might be to take line out of the Scarlett into that. Both video and audio are recorded together and stay together when transferred.

If the Sony can record live to the app it's likely possible to run it and the audio via the Scarlett together. But I've done audio for a videocast/screencast and, though I don't know exactly what they used, they used vidcast/screencast software to take both in and save and re-edit, and IIRC no extra clocking aside from what a cheap video camera, my Scarlett and a Windows computer & software sorted out for in settings.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC Phil View Post
Thanks for your answers,

I was hoping there would be some video editing software that I could specify the video capture device and audio capture device then just clip the ends off the video.

I know it's pretty painless syncing but if I could avoid the step it would be nice.

Cheers

Phil
Whoops, our posts crossed : )

I think what you want is a live video streaming app that will take the two sources but you'll capture, edit, and save as video instead of stream.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
serr

Hmmm...
There's no software workaround for the required hardware clock connection. Not that would preserve sample accurate lossless audio anyway. You really have to pick a clock and slave all digital devices to it if you want to avoid re-sync'ing.

If it's a consumer camera, it's not going to have word clock input. If it had a digital audio output, you could slave your audio interface to that.

Re-sync is still pretty painless though. Line up the front ends. Item properties -> untick 'preserve pitch...'. Option drag the end to line up with the camera audio. Render the result. It will be lossless. This is painless to the point that it often may be more of a PITA to hook up those clock connections.

Any on the fly stuff that might drop samples to 'catch up' or may have stability concerns can lead to artifacts that might bite you in the ass later.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
GMC Phil

Thanks.

Yeah I'm okay at syncing and it is pretty painless, I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age