Old 01-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Mickmeister
Human being with feelings

Default Kat Multipad and Reaper

I'm trying to get the Kat KTMP1 multipad to work in Reaper, with Steven Slate Drums 5 (freeware version). I can get the Kat pad to trigger sounds in SSD5 only intermittently - I could be playing on the pad and everything's triggering and recording just fine - then all of a sudden the triggering will stop - no sound playing and nothing recorded in Reaper. When this happens, I'm still able to get into the Reaper MIDI editor, so it seems like a triggering issue.

I'm also wondering if this is somehow related to MIDI note length...instead of the normal notes in the MIDI editor that I'm familiar with from keyboard plugins, the notes appear with an extremely short length - and can't be edited. I did try adding JS: MIDI NOTE HOLD, but I'm still getting the problem.
Mickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
LugNut

Hi,
There should be a setting for note gate time in the kat. Could you have a midi loop?
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
Mickmeister

As far as I know there's no setting for note gate time in the Kat. There are arrow buttons to set pad assignments, sensitivity, etc - but no settings menu that I can see. I don't think there's a MIDI loop - I've never used one so I'm not familiar with them.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
Huh....well on the note length... After recording, select all notes in midi editor,then while all notes still selected, zoom in and stretch the right end of the note to a length that's comfortable to edit.

Or...not sure..but a jsfx inserted as an input fx, which would lengthen the notes on input.....but I don't personally know of the js that would do this ATM. Sorry.

Last edited by LugNut; 01-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Mickmeister

Since my original post I figured out how to lengthen the notes for editing - I can select them and then right click to get a dialogue where I can specify a length, or change the display from the piano roll bars to diamonds or triangles. But that still leaves the cutoff problem - the KAT just stops triggering notes at some point. As far as a script to lengthen the notes on input, I did see a post from someone who's done that - I sent him a PM to get more info.

But now I'm wondering if note length isn't really the issue - it wouldn't explain why triggering is working fine for a while then just cuts out. Switching the connection to the computer from USB3 to USB2 seems like it might be helping a bit - so now i'm thinking it might be related to the connection somehow dropping out, as opposed to a note length issue. Just guessing though...
Old 02-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
Mickmeister

So if you've been following this, the problem came down to a defective Kat pad...the folks at Hal Leonard sent me a replacement and it's working much better...only two cutouts after logging quite a few hours on it...so for the home recording I'm using it for it suits my needs. With some good software (like SSD5) it's actually a very cool product.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
ivansc

(grin) amazing how often we all assume that it "cant possibly be the hardware", especially when it comes to things like bits of wire connecting stuff! Glad you got it figured out..

FWIW I have done the same sort of assumption-making myself a bunch of times, even with 20 year old MIDI hardware! Amazing what a squirt of switch cleaner can magically cure, or replacing a MIDI lead that started out life as a 5 pin DIN lead from a 1960s stereo!