Old 09-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #1
tzzsmk
Human being with feelings

Default iZotope VST3 crashing Reaper

various VST3 plugins from iZotope, regardless of platform I tested on (Win7, Win10, OSX El Capitan etc..) just totally crash Reaper, any idea if that is a known problem?
High Sierra i7-5820K @4.3GHz, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface UFX, Octamic D & II, DT-770 M, SE215-K
tzzsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #2
ankely

Yes.

iZotope plugins seem to be a crash fest, not only with Reaper.

It appears that the 64bit versions are making calls to the OS that conflict with other helper apps in the background.

Some infos: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=185500

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
tzzsmk

ah so I suppose best not to use VST3 versions of iZotope stuff,
I can live with that, just wasn't sure if problem was with plugins themselves or not,

also I was curious because for ex. Waves AU versions of plugins get automatically skipped in Reaper by default and it appears not to be advised to enable them by any means...
High Sierra i7-5820K @4.3GHz, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface UFX, Octamic D & II, DT-770 M, SE215-K
tzzsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #4
ankely

I'm not sure.

If I use iZotope plugins in 32bit, there is no problem.

But in 64bit VST2, VST3, and AU crash.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
MRMJP

Interesting. I use a few of the Ozone 8 modules (not the full Ozone plugin) in REAPER all the time and never get a crash.

I always use the AU version but I also checked the VST3 version and didn't get a crash.

Maybe I'm lucky but I'm sure if you send the crash reports to Cockos and/or iZotope, they can get to the bottom of it.

You might need to provide more info such as how and when the crashes occur. Immediately on insert or after awhile?

Do you authorize on iLok or the computer?

Things like will help pinpoint the issue.

I also use the VST3 versions in WaveLab frequently with no crashes and WaveLab is very sensitive to 3rd party plugins.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
MikComposer

All of my vst3's crash reaper on load of the project in which I loaded them earlier.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
drbam

I've used most of Izotope plugins (since Ozone 4 and now the latest) for years in 32 and 64 bit in XP and Win 7 (VST2) and never experienced a crash.
drbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
yellowmix

No problems with iZotope x86, 64-bit, or VST3 in Reaper 64-bit.

AKAI VIP Pro and Adobe Premiere choked on them, though. Had to manually blacklist them for Premiere (I do all audio in Reaper anyway).
yellowmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #9
Eddy

I've used Izotope stuff for years and had no crashes that I remember. Win10
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
Rangler

Melda crashes a lot, too.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Melda crashes a lot, too.
In what way are you referring? All Melda plugins?
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 AM   #12
winbe

Hello,

I never use vst3 to be honest...
But always use Ozone, no problem on Windows 10, with Reaper64, using x64 versions of the Vst2.
Always slow to open (my slowest plugin, along with Bias FX), but never crashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Interesting. I use a few of the Ozone 8 modules (not the full Ozone plugin) in REAPER all the time and never get a crash.
"All the time", but not since long I guess... so you are beta-testing them?
I am waiting to see what they'll come up with, I guess they will be announced very soon ?
Old 10-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
doppelganger

i don't use VST3 too, because i had a lot of buggy VST3 plugins, while VST2 are working fine and no troubles with presets and crashes, Win7 x64. Reaper x64.
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
ivansc

I would love to be able to look at the way some of you guys have your plugins installed. I am continually seeing folks with crashing problems on plugs that are fine for me and many others.

I might just start a poll to see if there IS a common link between the sufferers.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #15
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I would love to be able to look at the way some of you guys have your plugins installed. I am continually seeing folks with crashing problems on plugs that are fine for me and many others.

I might just start a poll to see if there IS a common link between the sufferers.
How many ways can you install Izotope plugins?

Music Production Suite installed in Program Files/Common Files/VST3 and Program Files/VSTPlugins and the plugin names are correctly scanned into the Reaper's plugin .ini file.

Still, when I try to add an Ozone 8 module (VST3) into a project, Reaper crashes with an error: "Runtime error! Program: C:\Program Files\Reaper (x64)\reaper.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I also very often get previously loadable plugins missing when loading projects that used to work fine. For the past couple of months, my working time has comprised of 70% trying to get Reaper to work, 30% productive work. Next stop is Pro Tools or whatever. Reaper used to work for 6 years without problems. Nothing has changed in the system and it's stable. Clean-reinstalling the OS, plugins or Reaper have changed nothing.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #16
ivansc

Uoppi - Not meaning to disrespect you or your problems, I would just like to help you and others with similar problems figure out what is happening. Hence the comment about being able to look over your collective shoulders. Very frustrating. FWIW I too had issues with some free Izotope stuff but the Ozone that I actually bought behaves fine & always has. But I only have the elements version of Nectar.
As for "how many ways can you install Izotope plugins?" it isn't necessarily being caused by how the plugin(s) are/were installed in the first place. I have been doing my best to help people on here for a very long time and its amazing just how many different ways there are to screw up an installation or a folder scan.
My motivation for offering to help is precisely because I have screwed up unintentionally myself many times in the past so I know what a pain it is to sort out.

One other thing I just noticed.
In my case Ozone has installed itself in C:Program Files/Common Files/ VST3 and when I look in that folder there is a sub-folder /Izotope which contains both the .vst3 file and another vst file called iZOzoneSBImager.dll
In the main vst3 filder is another Izotope .dll file called Ozone Imager.dll

On the 32bit side I have Ozone Imager.dll in Program files (x86)/VSTPugins and the same files in the same VST3 locationa the 64bit version.

Last edited by ivansc; 01-11-2018 at 03:08 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #17
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
"All the time", but not since long I guess... so you are beta-testing them?
I am waiting to see what they'll come up with, I guess they will be announced very soon ?
I am on the beta team but I guess I also meant that before Ozone 8 I used Ozone 7 modules all the time.

Hopefully a public release update happens soon for O8/N2.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
vanceen

It may not be helpful, but Izotope VST3 plugins have never caused a problem for me in Reaper.

Project save and load times slow down, but no crashes.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

I'm not able to naively reproduce a crash using multiple instances of Ozone 8 VST3. Do you have a specific set of steps that can reliably crash?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Still, when I try to add an Ozone 8 module (VST3) into a project, Reaper crashes with an error: "Runtime error! Program: C:\Program Files\Reaper (x64)\reaper.exe. This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I also very often get previously loadable plugins missing when loading projects that used to work fine.
Can we sanity check that there is no relation between Izotope et al and this issue which seems to be cropping up a good bit as of late.

I just keep seeing the reference to Izotope coming up a lot.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #21
ankely

Reaperites,

I think you are missing something here.

iZotope crashes due to background processes.

On my setup, the utility Default Folder X, will crash Ozone 7, RX 5, Insight, Alloy 2, and Trash 2. It doesn't affect RX 4.

If Default Folder X is not running, I have no problems other then the iZotope 'Tool Tips' can cause a black box to appear if you close the plug-in window while it is showing. It then doesn't go away until you restart Reaper. This happens in Logic too. Probably other DAWS.

I have seen reports of the same for Ableton Live and Cubase. I have had similar with Logic, Studio One, etc.

Another utility conflict is the old QuicKeys that was popular with the Pro Tools crowd.

Another that conflicts is BetterTouchTool.

So, you may have a background/utility helper that conflicts with iZotope product. Or not.

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

http://startly.com/products/quickeys/mac/4/

https://www.boastr.net/

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #22
Philbo King

I've pretty much sworn off using VST3s, I've had a few work, but most seem to have crash issues. I don't have time for dinking around with stuff that MIGHT work.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #23
MRMJP

It looks like iZotope quietly updated Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 on Jan 31st.

I would check out the latest updates to see if anything is better.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:28 PM   #24
grinder

I have Izotope Ozone etc 5, 7 and 8 (I think)
No crashes for me ever Windows 7 Pro
Had a strange one with UAD though the other day though
I worked at audio in the evening, shut down correctly
and then in the morning went to do 3 hours of audio before work and
found on opening my Reaper project all my UAD plugins had disappeared
After searching I found an error message from memory error no 10 microsoft which turned out after inspection to be that no drivers were installed for UAD.
I have never had my UAD card crash.
Anyway after a proper install and re-install a complete shut down and start no joy I ripped out the UAD card re seated and then started up again to
no avail.
I then went to drivers again (system properties etc) and asked windows to update the drivers (yellow tagged flag) to search for the correct drivers.
Windows could not install any but gave me the message that the correct
drivers were available but sorry there is an error and the drivers are unable to be installed.
Being older I shut up shop went to work and in the evening started my rig up and there UAD was in all it's glory... not even an apology from the program!

Thing was I had contacted UAD support and they did reply in a nice enough fashion and with reasonable timing but that said they did not read the information I had given to them as I listed most of what I had indeed done. At the end of it they declared the problem solved however I know the discerning viewers will understand when I put forward my opinion that indeed saying the problem was solved is quite wrong I have no idea why it happened in the first place and no one else knows either!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #25
poetnprophet

I am also in the same boat. I've been asking for weeks, searching, etc. I guess this is more common than I thought. I posted this last night after a frustrating session.

Hello again. I am on day 21 of my trial with Reaper. I have attempted 3 live recording sessions (vocals over instrumental), every time I am having trouble with Izotope plugins.

- Insight: loaded on the master track during playback. Froze when loading, Reaper crashed.
- Nectar 2: loaded on a vocal buss during playback. Froze and Reaper crashed.
- Pitch Editor: loaded on vocal track while stopped. Recording through the plugin to analyze/edit, everything is slow in both the plugin and Reaper. Every button press, mouse click has 3-4 second delay response. Even play/stop/rec is delayed....but still running. Also clocked CPU at 60% with only 3 tracks and maybe 4 plugs total. Seems high.

I have never had this issue with Sonar or Cubase, so I'm wondering if there's a setting or something buried in Reaper I have overlooked to resolve this? As you can see, I stopped loading those plugs during playback, seems to help but only a little. I've posted this before, only got 1 "me too" response. If this is "just the way it is", then that is a huge disappointment since I've spent so much time with Reaper but I can't continue like this.

Please help...
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #26
poetnprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankely View Post
Reaperites,

I think you are missing something here.

iZotope crashes due to background processes.

On my setup, the utility Default Folder X, will crash Ozone 7, RX 5, Insight, Alloy 2, and Trash 2. It doesn't affect RX 4.

If Default Folder X is not running, I have no problems other then the iZotope 'Tool Tips' can cause a black box to appear if you close the plug-in window while it is showing. It then doesn't go away until you restart Reaper. This happens in Logic too. Probably other DAWS.

I have seen reports of the same for Ableton Live and Cubase. I have had similar with Logic, Studio One, etc.

Another utility conflict is the old QuicKeys that was popular with the Pro Tools crowd.

Another that conflicts is BetterTouchTool.

So, you may have a background/utility helper that conflicts with iZotope product. Or not.

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

http://startly.com/products/quickeys/mac/4/

https://www.boastr.net/

Hope this helps.
Hi, I don't have any of those utilities. I've been running the same software for about 4 years, using Sonar. Never ever had this issue with these plugs. I've disabled any and all programs that I don't use, no internet, etc. Could there be a utility in Reaper causing this?
Old 02-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
ankely

It seems to be an iZotope issue that affects different DAWs differently.

I don't know enough about it's coding but it seems that iZotope makes calls out to the OS and it can conflict with other processes.

I linked to a previous post I had above with a post to Steinberg.

Reposted below. It may be helpful:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=185500

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72938
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #28
MRMJP

Has anybody tried the 8.01 updates of Ozone and Neutron? They came out on Jan 31st but I didn't see any announcements from iZotope about it.

The 8.01 updates solved the issues I was having in REAPER.

Insight and RX6 were also updated.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #29
ankely

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Has anybody tried the 8.01 updates of Ozone and Neutron? They came out on Jan 31st but I didn't see any announcements from iZotope about it.

The 8.01 updates solved the issues I was having in REAPER.

Insight and RX6 were also updated.
I haven't updated Ozone7, RX5, etc. Not willing to invest further in iZotope ATM.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #30
grinder

I have just updated today I will post if anything happens to
my setup after tomorrow.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #31
gkurtenbach

I'm using the latest Izotope Neutron and Ozone VST3s on win10. No crashes.

Occasionally I get a crash on startup of Izotope Insight VST3 when I have 32 bit audio buffers.

For me, Izotope plugs in general have been very, very stable.

My two cents.
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #32
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkurtenbach View Post
For me, Izotope plugs in general have been very, very stable.
I've also had solid stability with iZotope plugins in REAPER. The first release of Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 were an exception that I didn't catch in beta phase because I was too busy to change from O7 to O8.

I wasn't getting crates but O8/N2 were making REAPER hang for quite some time before REAPER would quit.

After I reported it and they implemented it in the 8.01 update, all is good.

I never use RX plugins in REAPER because I have RX6 standalone as REAPER's primary audio editor which is awesome.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-07-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #33
poetnprophet

Well I just bought the production pack barely 1 year ago with ozone7, nectar 2, and neutron (1). Not ready to plunk another $500 right now so I don't have the latest, if that's what it takes to get this to work in Reaper, I'll pass.

Honestly, we all know that most daws work pretty much the same way in terms of functionality of the daw itself. We also know know that Reaper doesn't come with much in terms of plugins, so it seems kind of ridiculous that important 3rd party plugins aren't working well or at all.

I read through the other threads about mac os and about the display settings. I am in Win10, and have all native display settings.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #34
jonboper

Having some issues with Ozone 7-x64 vst3s and Insight as well...not crashing, but creating an ugly lag so that the effects are fairly unusable.

Same boat as poetnprophet.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
Having some issues with Ozone 7-x64 vst3s and Insight as well...not crashing, but creating an ugly lag so that the effects are fairly unusable.

Same boat as poetnprophet.

I installed a demo plugin of their's a year or so ago and it was causing some weird Reaper issues so I uninstalled it. I don't have time for buggy plugins. To be fair I've never tried them using windows 10 as I'm still using windows 7. They have "flash" sales all the time so I may revisit them after I build my new system.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 AM   #36
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
Honestly, we all know that most daws work pretty much the same way in terms of functionality of the daw itself. We also know know that Reaper doesn't come with much in terms of plugins, so it seems kind of ridiculous that important 3rd party plugins aren't working well or at all.

I read through the other threads about mac os and about the display settings. I am in Win10, and have all native display settings.
You should go back and check the number of posts about Izotope issues - my own included - there have been issues with their plugs in general cropping up on Sonar & Studio One as well as Reaper.
I dont know about any other DAWs, as those three are the only one I use regularly, but it is looking like it is far more a case of Izotope needing to get THEIR shit together rather than blaming all those DAWs.
Might be interesting to see if Cubase etc are handling it better, since they invented the VST3 "standard".
Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 AM   #37
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I've had issues with various vst3 plugins from a number of companies causing crashes so I pretty much avoid vst3 now.

I've not had any issues with iZotope vst2 plugins though and I use them on pretty much every project. I've been using Ozone since version 4 & am currently on version 7. I'm also running everything in the production bundle (advanced versions) and use RX6 Advanced (standalone) as my primary editor.

Never had any issues with iZotope vst2 over multiple years, multiple operating systems and multiple computers.

I hope those having these issues find the solution and I wish I could be more helpful here.

Is anyone using iLok for authorization (even for other plugins aside from iZotope)? I have avoided going anywhere near iLok and simply don't trust it.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #38
ivansc

You are such a wimp, Dave! Take a deep breath, gird those loins and... nah, you are probably right.

Oops forgot to add that yes I am indeed iLok`ed out to wazoo but I dont get issues with other plugins like I do with the Izotope stuff. Shame as I really like them but like you said there is always VST2.4
Old 02-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #39
poetnprophet

I have not tried VST2s - I will have to dig them out and give it a go. I'll let you know soon.

All offline activations here...
Old 02-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #40
ivansc

There have been similar issues in the past with IKMM Antares and Waves where the companies were sorta in denial but eventually put the effort in to setting their own houses in order, so hopefully a combination of us nagging & both Izotope's and Reaper's doing what they can will smooth things out for ALL VST3s

And predictably, only one of my Izotope plugs consistently gives problems and 99% of the time all other VST3s I own work just fine.