Old 01-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
Peolold
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER graphic UI bug?!

Hey guys,

I am completely new to REAPER and currently on the evaluation licence in order to test it.
I firstly intalled REAPER as a portable program on my external hard drive on my Windows10 laptop.
It was all good and I started making my way into the program.
The next day I opened it and found myself in a Windows2000-like graphical user interface (see screenshots attached).
Everything works perfectly fine - it just looks ugly as hell.
So I tried the obvious and deinstalled it to then install it again - this time as a usual program on the internal storage just like every other app or program Iīm using.
Still the UI looks like shit. I tried a couple of uninstallings/installings (64-bit version, 32-bit version as well - Iīm using a 64-bit windows version so I should be fine with the 64-bit version of REAPER as well shouldnīt I?).
Last thing I did was to import a Theme of the Theme section of this website. The background now changed to black but thatīs it. (see 2nd screenshot attached)

Is this a common problem? Can anyone help me? I would appreciate every hint I can get

Best regards,
Peolold
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot Reaper_1.png (41.9 KB, 417 views)
File Type: png Screenshot Reaper_2.png (39.6 KB, 294 views)
Peolold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
domzy

choose in Options / Themes - it looks like you have one of the old "classic" themes selected.
There are millions of different themes / layouts to choose from if you don't like the in-built options - download from the stash.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
Peolold

Thanks for your quick reply

I did some testing with the themes. They do have an effect but there must be another thing going on as well.
This attached screenshot for instance is meant to be the following theme: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2262/G....0.ReaperTheme
It definitely has elements of this theme but still something is terribly wrong. The buttons and especially the meters are way different than the are meant to be.
Another thing I noticed: When I want to change the track icon the program leads to my own files - when I did that on the first day when everything was fine, it led me to a certain library of default icons which now seems to have disappeared.
Seems like the program fails to connect certain files or something and I just donīt know what to do
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot Reaper_3.png (51.3 KB, 221 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
domzy

right,it sounds like something got messed up & it's not linking to the right graphics stuff. sorry, not really able to help other than to suggest a total uninstall / re-install, which is sounds like you've done. Maybe try deleting the reaper.ini file - but probably best to get further advice on this - i think this should completely initialise Reaper, maybe?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
Peolold

I guess my knowledge about Windows is just not not good enough to solve the problem.
What I noticed while I multiple times uninstalled/re-installed the program is that Windows seems to save certain settings for the program even though itīs uninstalled. Because when I uninstall REAPER and then delete every file that I think might be connected to the program and then finally re-install it, I can still choose between the different themes of the old deinstalled version...even though I deleted the theme files as well before re-installing.

Maybe post this into the REAPER bug reports forum?!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peolold View Post
I guess my knowledge about Windows is just not not good enough to solve the problem.
What I noticed while I multiple times uninstalled/re-installed the program is that Windows seems to save certain settings for the program even though itīs uninstalled. Because when I uninstall REAPER and then delete every file that I think might be connected to the program and then finally re-install it, I can still choose between the different themes of the old deinstalled version...even though I deleted the theme files as well before re-installing.

Maybe post this into the REAPER bug reports forum?!
Why don't you try going to the REAPER stash (link above top left under resources), and downloading a theme and dragging the downloaded .reaperthemezip into REAPER while it is running and see if it pops up and displays properly.

Regards,
Never
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
Peolold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peolold View Post
I did some testing with the themes. They do have an effect but there must be another thing going on as well.
This attached screenshot for instance is meant to be the following theme: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2262/G....0.ReaperTheme
It definitely has elements of this theme but still something is terribly wrong. The buttons and especially the meters are way different than the are meant to be.
Thanks for your reply, Never

So I tried what you proposed as you can see here - it kind of works and some elements of the theme like the background for instance are displayed but in comparison to the screenshots of the guy who uploaded the theme it's still definitely not the same
Old 01-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #8
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

A test to try:

In REAPER, go to Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer > click it.

In the folder that opens, rename your REAPER.ini file to something wrong like "xREAPER.ini".

Restart Reaper.

Any improvement?

--------
Note : this will trash any other personalisation you've done, so afterwards you'll probably want to go back to that folder, delete the new REAPER.ini file that the program has created, and rename your old file back.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
Peolold

Thanks again - I get the idea behind this test
Tried it - still the same problem As expected, now a new REAPER.ini appears in the folder additionally to my renamed one after restarting the program. REAPER still looks as pictured in the screenshots I deleted the new REAPER.ini and renamed the old one back.

Is this a "bug" or does this sound more like Iīve made a mistake and maybe unintentionally deleted an important file or something?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
ivansc

Download a new reaper and check the "portable install" button when you run the installer. This creates an entirely new Reaper without affecting your existing one. At least if THAT one is OK you have confirmed you did something... goof luck.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #11
Philbo King

Ivansc - It's probably a typo, but it turns out I rely on 'goof luck' pretty regularly 😉
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #12
Peolold

Default it works :)

I canīt really explain it but it somehow works now
I discussed the issue in the German forum as well and they all advised me to do a portable installation (which I did at least three times before and it didnīt work).
Probably the thing "White Tie" proposed did something to the REAPER.ini which then caused it to work after the reinstallation.

Anyway - now Iīm ready to start making my way through the program

Thanks to everyone

Last edited by Peolold; 01-11-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: misspelling ;)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Ivansc - It's probably a typo, but it turns out I rely on 'goof luck' pretty regularly 😉

aNyeno wouldd thiK I CanT tPye....