Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
ChrisBlue
Human being with feelings

Default MixChecker Pro

I was looking at a tutorial of the MixChecker Pro and with reference to the Noise option was wondering how much people are prepared to compromise their mix so that someone (who's probably stolen your music in the first place) can hear it well while standing next to a waterfall or whatever. Can we really account for all these situations in a mix and still have the balance and dynamic range that's required for musical purposes.
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlue View Post
I was looking at a tutorial of the MixChecker Pro and with reference to the Noise option was wondering how much people are prepared to compromise their mix so that someone (who's probably stolen your music in the first place) can hear it well while standing next to a waterfall or whatever. Can we really account for all these situations in a mix and still have the balance and dynamic range that's required for musical purposes.
Yes. We can.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
Philbo King

I've done this in the past. It does help balance a mix, especially at very low volume levels. I think there might be a psychoacoustic effect - by breaking up what your brain expects to hear on the 400th repetiton of playback, it brings a freshened perspective.

I always used pink noise in the past, though I found this today and might try it:

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/gr...eGenerator.php
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #4
Fergler

It's quite a neat trick to use grey noise to start your mix. Turn it on, set to a comfortable level, turn all tracks down below the noise then bring them up til you just, only just notice them.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
ChrisBlue

ok thanks. My real point was it just seems strange that as musicians we seem to have to accommodate what to me seem more and more ridiculous requirements especially as music is so devalued these days.
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote