Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Chuck Boyer
Human being with feelings

Default How to get either this or that on themes

I love the colors of 'ReaBORN' or 'IMPERIAL 24' for instance, however their tcp track windows only have wide meter for a meter or a very small vetical meter.

I love the themes 'ReAerah' or 'Default_Commala_5_2016' for their meters and layouts, however I'd love to have the colors of either 'ReaBORN' or 'IMPERIAL 24'.

Anyone know if they're any available with those requirements? I don't think so because I've downloaded every theme on reaper resource site there. And nope.

So other than just switching between themes for getting different functions done, which would be easier for me; a. to recolor a theme i like the meters on mcp/tcp layouts or to redo the layouts on a theme i already love the colors of?

Thanks
Chuck Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Boyer View Post
So other than just switching between themes for getting different functions done, which would be easier for me;
a. to recolor a theme i like the meters on mcp/tcp layouts or
to redo the layouts on a theme i already love the colors of?
Hard to say without more details. What all would you change in the layouts, just the meter size? What exactly would you want to recolor in other theme, everything?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Chuck Boyer

Default more details... what I want it for specifically

Thanks xpander, I'll explain.

For the colors, it's just that the colors in the "Imperial" sets of Themes are so vivid and bright and strong colors. And they have a sheen to them and a brilliance. Most of the other theme colors are dull or subdued tones of colors. When there are bright colors, as in the default 5.0 theme, it is just bright yellow, blue, etc. But there is no sheen or brillance, just a flat color. I suspect that a part of that then is editing in a picture editor outlines and corners, edges of overly dark or gray or overly bright and light tones, so that the overall effect is more 3d.? But it's the colors alone that are brighter in the "Imperial" sets and shine with a particular brillance.

For the meters and what I'd like ideally;

I like the ones that show all of the mixer window (mcp?) tracks that there are, whether that's 16 or 32 or 64 or 124 all in the same window. Most Themes don't, they show first row 1-18 and 2nd row 41-62, third row 84-etc.

The ones I like show first row; 1-18, 2nd row; 19-38, 3rd row; 39-etc.

So I can pull a group of tracks' i/o's for instance and drag and pull and drop them off from tracks 112-116 up to a bus which is track 6 for instance. It's just so handy to have all tracks viewable on one screen/window.

The other thing I'd like is for the tcp tracks window to show 'shy meter'. Why that? Because you have the 1/3 track window vu meter results and a fader plus some other buttons for fx, i/o, etc. Whereas most of the Imperial or other Themes that I like which have the full tracks view in mixer window (wtp?)(sorry i forget the tcp/wtp initials)... when the Theme has the 'all tracks view' in the mixer window, it usually has no meter view in the tcp area or if it does give a meter view to choose it's a full track vu meter, without any other control buttons, no fader, no fx or i/o buttons.

Those are exactly my issues and I appreciate your asking so I could be thorough. Thanks.

Themes that I like that have everything in my wish list like Commala 5_ grey-green, or apollo4, acido, alloy, Clear Day, default jr themebright peaks based on Commala, Default_Commala_5_2016 and ReAerah, all of the good tcp panel meters with faders and the x98 or more track view in mcp window and nice theme colors, but not the brilliant sheen colors.

For examples of the brilliant sheen colors I've seen it in Rock Solid, Solaris LCS Blue, XxX v1.1 (Lighter), RADO-V O X, ReaBORN.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Chuck Boyer

Default Further...

I have a question then:
I wonder what the working style of most mixer/engineers is using the tcp and mcp sections of Reaper.

For me I only really edit the media items in track view, making cuts, splices, gluing sections together, etc.

And in mcp I do most of my fader work and FX plugins.

So maybe I'm asking to want something (the vu meter in tcp) that isn't really used that much or isn't necessary for most working styles?

I've noticed that in a split window screenset setup I have where the Master fader is on the left, and next is a section of mcp of a single 'active' track visible, and then the tcp to the right of that in a smallish/mediumish size and then a the largest section of the window is the tcp media item for ease of editing.

I guess right there I and do most of what I want to do, click a track and work the fader in the mcp section and fx there also, while doing editing work on the tcp media item section. The only real thing I use the mcp section only window for is to initially drag and drop the track groups/sections onto busses at the beginning of my tracks. And that's what I use the themes that have the capability to show/view all of the tracks in one window of the mcp view.

In the end I probably should just decide which theme colors I am more comfortable with and get used to what style and options that theme offers, because when I use just a theme that has the all tracks view in mcp, usually default 5.0 versions of themes, it is fully functional but boring for me to work in that environment.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Chuck Boyer

Default So....

Been working with Blackface all day and I think I'll just stick with that for some time and get comfortable with it. The colors/tonality of the colors of the tracks in both tcp/mcp modes really make me the most comfortable and sitting in the drivers' seat while mixing around. So, I'll not worry about transporting this color theme from the Blackface to Commala_5_2016. I'll put up with not having all tracks viewable in the mixer window all at once in my window set. Have all the metering I'd like, so I'm ready to go.

But I guess this really was my question; how to get the colors from Blackface into Default_Commala_5_2016.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Chuck Boyer

So, really, for me;

1. There are too few Themes with ample VU Meter views in the tcp
Which Reaper versions have this ability built into the build?

2. There are too few Themes with vivid, lively colors for tracks in tcp/mcp
What allows for this that some theme builders have used?

3. There are too few that have the ability to view all tracks in the main view window that Reaper opens up with, where there are tracks populated in the Project.
So which Reaper version has this ability?

Most have a top row that goes from track 1 to approximate tracks 12-18
While the 2nd row doesn't begin with 13-19 as consecutive numbers would, rather begin with track 41 or so.

(btw how do I properly prepare pictures to submit to the forum please? I had to downgrade resize these pics so much that they have lost their clarity and clearness, blurred and all. huh.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-Pic1Reaper-VUMeterTCP.jpg (56.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 0Pic2-Reaper-VividColors.jpg (54.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 0Pic3-ReaperWithFullTrackView.jpg (56.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 0Pic4-Reaper-OnlyShowSoManyTracks.jpg (52.3 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Chuck Boyer; 12-10-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Both things you mention are simply choices that theme makers have made; any theme could in theory have large TCP meters and/or strong, vivid custom colouring.

I don't know what mod of Imperial you're using there (looks horribly broken to me! ) but its using the legacy colouring method where the custom colour is spammed all over everything, because its quite an old theme. Modern themes almost always take a more subtle approach.

Great big TCP meters are entirely possible, but they tend not to be done because ...I don't know. Because people don't ask for them much?

If you search for very, very old Reaper themes, you'll find they all have both the things you want, because back then the meter position was big and unchangeable, and the custom colouring was the way you like it.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 AM   #8
Chuck Boyer

Default Ok, nodding

Thanks, White TIe..

Picture 2, 'vivid' theme
was setting; 'Mixer Panel: b1---Tracking Deck, from IMPERIAL 24.

Which also had this:
'Mixer Panel: a04---Extended deck for lighter color versions. I like the darker set choices.

So, thank you for your replies..
Is there a way to copy/paste the 'legacy colouring method' with a default 5 theme then I wonder? I prefer 'default Commala_5 2016 for the ideal Theme with all of the window/meter layout sets I'd prefer and use the easiest, but of course the colors are tame and timid.

Was that Imperial 24 your offering on white tie web site?
I love it, all except no wide horizontal meters on the tcp, and no correct newer (version 5) mixer window view that shows all tracks in consecutive order.??
thanks, chucker

oh and thanks I am looking on the forums for older versions for those colors.
Oh and is there a way to find which version of reaper layout format each Theme uses? Even years after I mean? I guess I could look for and download default reaper 1, default reaper 2, etc.?
Old 12-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #9
Chuck Boyer

Default In looking...

I actually went to Reaper resources and downloaded and installed Reaper versions 041, 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50. And in studying screenshots it looks like Version 4.0 is the Reaper default version that allowed numerous rows continuous numbering. Late at night, will look tomorrow fresh again.

v 041

v10

v 20

v 30

v 40

and...;
v 50

Grins, after loading each version of Reaper and loading tracks, coloring when it became available, and track view, when it became available... I got very confused. Laughs
So, let's just put my cards where I may please;

I love in order of color/layout and useability to me;

Imperial 24
Colors delight me, buttons all there, tcp meters lacking, multip track row view lacking), but I want to prefer this one over all others.

Default_Commalla_5_2016
This one has all of the functionality that I need in meters, track views, etc.
Only negative is that it doesn't have the Imperial 24 vivid, vibrant colors.

So if there is a way, I'd like to figure it out (if it's pretty easy for an amateur, non programmer to do, I've not the time at my age to learn, sorry)... Id love to bring the colors of Imperial 24 into Def Commalla 5 2016.

If not so easy and near impossible, I'll give up 'nirvhanna' in using Imperial 24 and just go about being bored but fully functional in def comalla 5 2016.
So, there you have it.
Been as honest as I can be.
BTW; congrats to the theme makers of Imperial 24,
Janne2015 101 SSL Refocused Analog, JD Theme, Kali, Lappy, LCS Gold, Ledfest... for the colors and layout.

congrats from me to Mlk Morph 2, RADO 3am/Darko, mod black etc.... for VU meters horizontal in tcp and continuous track view and numbering in mcp!!!

and Imperial 24 for 'near perfection' !!!!

Last edited by Chuck Boyer; 12-11-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: adding attachments
Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #10
lucas_LCS

Please verify what themes these actually are and whether or not you have modified them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Boyer
Picture 2, 'vivid' theme
was setting; 'Mixer Panel: b1---Tracking Deck, from IMPERIAL 24.
I double checked Imperial 24.
I could not find that layout in it.
Screenshot 2 looks like broken mod of LCS_Short_Dark.
Why are the Volume knob and other elements missing? Why is the Pan using a slider instead of the knob?
Quote:
Was that Imperial 24 your offering on white tie web site?
not his.
as he stated, it's a mod of his Imperial theme

Quote:
...looks like Version 4.0 is the Reaper default version that allowed numerous rows continuous numbering.
The numerous rows are affected by the MCP_MIN_HEIGHT located at the top of the RTCONFIG.txt file for the theme, not the Reaper version.
The Reaper 4 version in screenshot #3 is a modification, the actual Reaper 4 default does not show 3 rows like that.
In addition, the layout itself needs to coded to allow it to be reduced to the MCP_MIN_HEIGHT size without being corrupted or 'garbled'.

Screenshot 4 is LCS_Blue, but why are the MCP Pan and the TCP Volume using a fader/slider instead of the knob? did you alter it?

Quote:
1. There are too few Themes with ample VU Meter views in the tcp
Which Reaper versions have this ability built into the build?
This is not a version issue, but a themer's choice.
Sometimes the meter is set to expand as you expand the TCP track height or width.

Quote:
2. There are too few Themes with vivid, lively colors for tracks in tcp/mcp
What allows for this that some theme builders have used?
In Reaper 5, this is affected by the color and transparency for the background panel for the layout.
In Reaper 4 it is affected only by the color for the background panel for the layout.
The theme version is determined by an entry at the very top of the theme's RTCONFIG.txt file:
version 5
comment out this line or delete to revert the theme to version 4 color style.
Note that if you do this, it will also revert to version 4 for any other behaviors that are different in version 5.

Quote:
3. There are too few that have the ability to view all tracks in the main view window that Reaper opens up with, where there are tracks populated in the Project.
So which Reaper version has this ability?
- as stated above, the MCP_MIN_HEIGHT setting at the top of the theme's RTCONFIG.txt file controls this, not the Reaper version.

Quote:
Most have a top row that goes from track 1 to approximate tracks 12-18
While the 2nd row doesn't begin with 13-19 as consecutive numbers would, rather begin with track 41 or so.
This happens because the rest of the sequential tracks above are off-screen or out of sight. note the scrollbar has appeared to give you access to them.
thinner layouts take up less space. Load up all MCP tracks with a Strip layout and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
Chuck Boyer

Default response to lucas

lucas_LCS;

Thanks for your reply and details.
I'm researching all of your points and will respond this mornihng.
However point number 1: No, I have not edited anythiing.

If anything looks different it would be that in tcp or mcp 'track layout' I chose the darkest of the choices for Imperial, and in the tcp in 'track layout' I would choose some form of meter for that section.

I downloaded and ran each version of reaper to research this 'tracks viewable continuous numbering per mcp window' however after finding out that it indeed was not a ability per different reaper build or version... I got totally confused. And I reinstalled now version 5, the one that I've paid for. So right now I'm in the process of re downloading the appropriate Themes and I'll post replies on your points.

Thanks for that explanation that the rows are affected by the mcp_min_height parameter in rtconfig.txt. Now I know what the parameter is for certain.

ANd the ver number in the top of the reconfig.txt file, I did once just put in; ver. 5, .... wow, it messed up every theme I had as it changed them all to what looked like classic_x1 file. Which was very disconcerting, so that caused me to delete all themes and reload them in the directory. I'm learning like a bull in a china shop here. grins.

But I will straighten out and list exactly what theme and version I am using this morning for sure, I only am looking flakey for sure, not attempting to lie or mislead at all.

thanks
chuck
Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
Chuck Boyer

Default some clarifications, lucas

You're right on the Imperial (of course, i'm beginner and new)...
Here's the Imperial 24

imprials 24

and a couple of yours...

wt imperial

Imprial LCS mod v2.9.2

Still looking in resources for that very vivid color theme. Will continus this afternoon.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
Bri1
Banned

@Chuck Boyer-m8,not sure about colourings but,your using the incorrect screen resolution,from them pics.

try 1080p. on your desktop to make the theme work better>?
^that's the only reason i don't use some themes- differs from mi native screen resolutions here.
oh+while your looking at os. display options,try running a few colour tests-especially gamma.k.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
xpander

About multiple rows in mixer. Right click over the Mixer docker tab (usually on bottom left) and select "Show multiple rows of tracks when size permits" from the menu.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #15
Chuck Boyer

Default the screen resolution..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
@Chuck Boyer-m8,not sure about colourings but,your using the incorrect screen resolution,from them pics.

try 1080p. on your desktop to make the theme work better>?
^that's the only reason i don't use some themes- differs from mi native screen resolutions here.
oh+while your looking at os. display options,try running a few colour tests-especially gamma.k.

My original resolution for those pics was;
d32f-E1 Vizio, 1920 x 1080, the recommended and windows 7.
I changed it to 1600 x900 and wow the detail really popped out!
Was this about wht you were suggesting?
1080 p is what? On the resolution 1080 would be very small screen size and not right for my wide screen HD monitor?
Color tests, ok, will do on that.
Thanks.
Here's a screen shot now with the 1600 x 900 instead of the 1920 x 1080.

Also, please post a screen image of what your screen ideal setup shows so I can have that to refer to please?

I don't know, shrugs, maybe there's not so much difference?

Last edited by Chuck Boyer; 12-11-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #16
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

The requirement of Imperial is 1080p for a full screen mixer. This point is very clearly marked on the website, and reiterated when you go to download it.

This information, along with other information like the requirement that nothing be sold or monies accepted for, is frequently left out by those who mod the theme. I don't really know what to think about that; I go to great lengths to make my themes easy to mod, I want them to be modded, modding gives everyone more themes so is inarguably a good thing (even if I might personally believe that sometimes they've ruined my work, which is a price I'm very happy to pay), and I don't want to be a hard arse to modders, since they're enthusiastic people having fun.

Its a quandry.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
Chuck Boyer

Default Well, well, well....

OMG!!;
All I had to do was ctrl/p (options/preferences) and on 'Appearance/Track Control Panel' click on 'Tint track panel backgrounds'!!!!!!

And 'Voila'!! I had/have the brilliant beautiful tone colors on the tracks that I was searching for 'forever'!!!!

Thanks for this functionality in your build of this Theme (WT Imperial)!!
What a beautiful, fully functional Theme, that fits mostly perfectly for all of my mixing and editing needs. (only lacking continuous numbering multi/all tracks viewable in mixer view, mcp). But heck, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!! I'm in love with all of the work and sweat put into this beautiful Theme. Thank you, theme developer.!!

Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
Chuck Boyer

Default right click on master track and select 'show multiple rows of tracks'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
About multiple rows in mixer. Right click over the Mixer docker tab (usually on bottom left) and select "Show multiple rows of tracks when size permits" from the menu.
Thanks, I know about that and it's very handy.
Thing is I need to learn how to, or ask a nice themer how to get that functinality to also show all tracks, consecutively count wise, and not have to drag the bar to the right at the bottom of the screen to see the tracks farther to the right.

So if my visible tracks are 1-17, then I need the next row down to show the first track on the left to be track 18. You know?
It's because when dragging i/o groups on left click mouse and hold down to drag them up to the beginning of the tracks to it's respective bus track/master track, it needs to be visible there on the screen, and not that I have to hold down the mouse button and drag up and left while the screen slowly trots the tracks from right to left getting slowly up there. A much smoother operation when all tracks are visible on the same screen, both tracks 1-17 as well as 61-77.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #19
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Boyer View Post
Thing is I need to learn how to, or ask a nice themer how to get that functinality to also show all tracks, consecutively count wise, and not have to drag the bar to the right at the bottom of the screen to see the tracks farther to the right.
Can't be done.
You can get more tracks in the visible space using thinner layouts, but once the track count exceeds the visible window space it will start pushing tracks offscreen starting with the top.
Using the LCS_Blue screenshot below as an example, by using the Strips layout a max of 100 tracks can be made visible with 2 rows in the given space before additional tracks starting getting pushed offscreen.
If you switch to the Narrow layout you can only have 50 tracks before the additional tracks start getting pushed offscreen.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #20
Chuck Boyer

Default continuous numbering from row 1 into row 2

Thank you Lucas LCS,

I find that this numbering of tracks from row 1 into row 2 is fully continuous and exactly what I want, so count me happy to be a new exclusive user of LCS Blue at lease As long as the I/O section are visible, which they are, as that's the section I'd be grabbing and dragging from row 2 up to row 1. Plus the ability to show meters in the tcp also!!
A 'winner'.
Now to a more serious note; thank you and all other themers for your hard and long work on your themes. I would be less without it. And I am grateful.

And to the previous small point of what build that was that had the brilliant colors, I can't find that build again now that I've gone through all themes at 96 per page andf 12 pages on the Resources site, ugh. Sorry. It may have been a Lappy build I'm thinking. And as to how all of those 'things/items' were missing, I can only attest it to the fact that I placed v5 at the beginning of one build's config.txt file and that therefore corrupted the layout and items in all subsequent themes on my system. All I can think of, sorry. Now that I deleted all and started from a fresh build of Reaper's latest release I am more than happy to continue on now with what'd I've found of your LCS build and forget about making any changes to anything, grins.. 'cause I now see that what I touch... oh well, anyway. Thanks again for all help here.

Last edited by Chuck Boyer; 12-12-2018 at 08:56 AM.