Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
markmann
Human being with feelings

Default Error creating project file!

I'm currently evaluating Reaper and when I attempt to do a save I get the following message: "Error creating project file! Project not saved!"

I can create a new project and I can open and close it but then when I try to save it I get the error message. I'm within the 60 day eval period so any ideas what I might need to do to get past the error? Also, I can save as a different name but then I can't re-save. Thanks.
markmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
markmann

I think I may have figured out the issue....

The files I'm having trouble saving were originally created in 32 bit Reaper and I'm now on a 64 bit machine with the latest 64 bit Reaper. I didn't think it would be an issue if I saved a 32 bit as a new project in 64 but it apparently is because I don't get the error when I create a brand new project from scratch in 64.

So now I have a new question: Is there any way to transfer projects from 32 to 64 bit? Thanks
Old 12-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
DarkStar

The move from 32-bit Reaper to 64-bit Reaper does not affect the project file itself. You should be able to open and save the file in either. So the problem is something-else, but I'm not sure what.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #4
markmann

After a bunch of experimenting I found a way to save my project files:

First, how this started is I copied my entire project file folder from my 32 bit PC to my 64 bit PC into the Reaper folder (how I had it in my old version of Reaper 3.13). If I try to save into the copied folder I get the error. If I save-as into a new folder I get the error, but, if I save-as into a new folder with a new name everything is OK. So, I have a way to save my old files but I'm still a bit confused why I was getting the error.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #5
Fabian

I assume this is on windows, since you talk of 32- and 64-bit machine...

Did you move from W7 to W10? THat could cause these kinds of problems, as W10 is (by default) more picky with access rights on the HD. The error message you get is typical when you try to write somewhere where windows thinks that you should not write. probably embedded in your old projects is a folder to which you have access on your old 32-bit (W7) system, but not on your new 64-bit (W10?) system.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
markmann

Thanks, Fabian. I think you're definitely right but I went from XP/32 to 7/64. The main thing is that I've got almost everything transferred over and only a few plugin issues which I expected more of.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmann View Post
Thanks, Fabian. I think you're definitely right but I went from XP/32 to 7/64. The main thing is that I've got almost everything transferred over and only a few plugin issues which I expected more of.
Yeah, also W7 is more finicky with access rights than XP was, so there you may have your problem. But I'm glad it seems things are getting sorted out for you.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
Tim Rideout

I think this issue may stem from your Auto Save settings.
In Options>>Preferences>>Project you have an option to SAVE TO TIMESTAMPED FILE IN PROJECT DIRECTORY. I get the same error with this option enabled, if I have NOT saved the project file yet.

If this is the issue, perhaps Reaper should look first to see if the project has been saved, and if not, then do not display the error?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Birches

Default Error creating project file! Project not saved REAPER

I am coming to this thread a bit late, but I found the cause on my PC.

I recently transferred my REAPER installation from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 10 desktop PC. I started getting the "Error creating project file! Project not saved REAPER" message right after I did the transfer. Thanks to Tim Rideout's 2017 post, I checked "options | preferences | project". I was trying to auto-save backup files to "C:\Users\Peter\...\REAPER\Backups". That was appropriate on my laptop. But when I ran through the Windows 10 setup on my desktop, my user name defaulted to "ppsmi", rather than "Peter". This seems to be new behavior for Windows. I didn't think much of it at the time.

So I changed my auto-backup directory to "C:\Users\ppsmi\...\REAPER\Backups". This seems to have stopped the error messages.

If I had it to do over again, I would have overridden the "ppsmi" username with "Peter" during Windows setup. Just didn't know what else I might have affected by doing so, so I foolishly accepted the new Windows default.

I hope this helps someone else. I always appreciate posts by others when I run into a problem like this.
Birches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
WarrenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birches View Post

I recently transferred my REAPER installation from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 10 desktop PC. I started getting the "Error creating project file! Project not saved REAPER" message right after I did the transfer. Thanks to Tim Rideout's 2017 post, I checked "options | preferences | project". I was trying to auto-save backup files to "C:\Users\Peter\...\REAPER\Backups". That was appropriate on my laptop. But when I ran through the Windows 10 setup on my desktop, my user name defaulted to "ppsmi", rather than "Peter". This seems to be new behavior for Windows. I didn't think much of it at the time.

So I changed my auto-backup directory to "C:\Users\ppsmi\...\REAPER\Backups". This seems to have stopped the error messages.

If I had it to do over again, I would have overridden the "ppsmi" username with "Peter" during Windows setup. Just didn't know what else I might have affected by doing so, so I foolishly accepted the new Windows default.

I hope this helps someone else. I always appreciate posts by others when I run into a problem like this.
Hey Peter I have a similar issue and found this info regarding changing Windows 10 Account user names. Hope it helps.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10...indows-10.html

Warren
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
Tim Rideout

That's great to hear Peter, and great to hear that an older post is indeed helpful. On many forums (I won't mention any, like the QNAP forum for example) some admins take Necro-posting much too seriously. Necro-posting. Did you ever hear of such an obnoxiously self-validating admin word?

Anyhow, I digress into producer self-validation. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birches View Post