Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 01-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
KamranV
Human being with feelings

Default National Call for Quadraphonic work

I love reaper. I used Reaper to test a plugin that we released. With dublab and the NEA I also made a plugin called QUARK that allows you to make quad vinyl (and a lot more) as well as a grant opportunity to #MakeMusicInSpace. I'm sure a lot of you will do some mind-blowing stuff.

http://QUARK.CyKiK.com
KamranV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
Kabraxis

Whoa, some amazing review panel in there!
Too bad Quark plugin is Mac exclusive for the time being.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
Kewl

« Opportunity is for US-based artists only »

This info is a bit buried, so, there you go, before you get too excited about this.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
plush2

I chased my way through the site when this was first posted and discovered both those tidbits (Mac and US citizens only) and now I feel dumb for not posting that right away.

It seems surprisingly well funded and connected for such a niche undertaking. Not only is it spatial audio but it's spatial audio from the 1970s if I'm not mistaken. That's not a slag, I still like and use FOA and that dates from the same decade. I'd like to know more about the history of this particular undertaking than I was able to find on the site.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
junh1024

In their FAQ they say "Dolby Pro Logic II (DLP2) format is very closely modeled after the Regular Matrix format." so you can prolly use any DPL2 encoder.

There is a DPL2 encoder in JSFX here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=133619

Also "allowing the distribution of four-channel spatial recordings via widely accessible two-channel formats such as vinyl, radio, streaming video such as YouTube and music services such as iTunes and Spotify."

Well, the point of this is somewhat lost as everything is moving towards discrete surround. Youtube now supports 5.1 audio. But not sure under what scenarios you will have 51 playback
Old 01-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
In their FAQ they say "Dolby Pro Logic II (DLP2) format is very closely modeled after the Regular Matrix format." so you can prolly use any DPL2 encoder.
I noticed that and thought why not just use DPL2 since you will already have speaker setups in existence that can play it back? It's been a dismal couple of years for marketing immersive audio products.

It almost makes me cry to admit that 8D is the most successful recent "attempt".? /s
Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
junh1024

FAQ implies SQ & DPL are somewhat compatible. You can use whatever you like. YMMV. Seems like They did their own implementation to avoid CR/TM issues. PS: TIDAL has launched Atmos music streaming for speakers, but ofc, there's prolly a big upfront investment to author for TIDAL atmos.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by junh1024 View Post
FAQ implies SQ & DPL are somewhat compatible. You can use whatever you like. YMMV. Seems like They did their own implementation to avoid CR/TM issues.
I think you are likely right about that. To be fair it's not like DPL is any mysterious technical breakthrough given that this SQ format predated it and was near enough to approximate it.
Quote:
PS: TIDAL has launched Atmos music streaming for speakers, but ofc, there's prolly a big upfront investment to author for TIDAL atmos.
I tried to try that out during the summer but I found the manifold hurdles to be not worth it. Since it's head-locked (no head tracking) and
unlikely to be easy to get playing over my 5.1 systems the experience would be a binaural approximation at best. I was kind of hoping for more traction in the head-tracking a la YouTube spatial audio or Facebook 360. To me that offers a novel creative experience to the user with just headphones (...and a motion tracker...).

It just occurred to me how off-topic I'm dragging this...I digress.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #9
KamranV

Default more background

Hi all. I just looked back at this post and saw all of the great discussion. There are a lot of reasons for this project. Funding-wise, it's really just my own time, some friends' time and a couple of small grants from the National Endowment of the arts. Due to the NEA funds and other complications. We had to keep it to US entries only. If any of you can help connect dots to similar organizations, I'd be happy to host something similar in other countries. We are working on a Windows version but this is a weekend warrior project and it will come when it comes.

For some basic background, I used to produced 5.1 albums when I was at Interscope Records and came back to spacial sound when I rebooted Moogfest then produced Suzanne Ciani's LIVE Quadraphonic album. I'm told it was the first quad vinyl in over 30 years... and today we may quite possibly have becomes the 1st truly independent Dolby Atmos release; releasing in Atmos on Amazon Music HD and Tidal HiFi.

The development of the plugin and the #makemusicinspace program is all non-profit with my friends at dublab. The point is that I see quad and this old 1970's math as a bridge to spacial music creation. As someone pointed out, Atmos and even ambisonics is confusing and expensive. Quad a lot less of that.

For more background on the project you can go to the following links too:
https://insheepsclothinghifi.com/in-...amran-v-quark/
https://youtu.be/VMu-BoECblE
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/reco...raphonic-vinyl
https://www.wired.com/story/suzanne-...-quadraphonic/
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...sound-podcast/
http://web.archive.org/web/202010261...-with-kamranv/
KamranV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
plush2

Thanks KamranV, it is much appreciated that you took the time to answer all our questions so thoroughly. I'll need some time to peruse the links you supplied.

How did you find the delivery process for Atmos to a music service to be? Was it complicated?
Old 02-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #11
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamranV View Post
As someone pointed out, Atmos and even ambisonics is confusing and expensive. Quad a lot less of that.
Ambisonics. Confusing? Yes, sure. Expensive? Not at all.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #12
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Ambisonics. Confusing? Yes, sure. Expensive? Not at all.
I would put it in this order, ambisonics is confusing and Atmos is expensive...I think that's more like it.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #13
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I've recently taken on the role as mastering engineer for Red Manor Records in the UK http://redmanor.co.uk and the first albums we've compiled (two have been released as of this post with two more coming) are available on vinyl (180g), cassette (normal, chrome and metal tapes), CD and MiniDisc. I've created masters specifically for each format and none of them have ANY of the loudness wars nonsense.

I would be VERY interested in suggesting to Tony, who owns RMR, that we look at doing some quad releases on each of these formats. That could be huge with the vinyl crowd and something I would really enjoy.

I'm a little confused about the USA only thing though. If the plugin is freely available, what is to stop anyone using it regardless of location?

Also, I can't do anything with this until a Windows version is available.

Very interesting project though.

Last edited by Dannii; 03-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #14
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post

Also, I can't do anything with this until a Windows version is available.

Very interesting project though.
Quadraphonic (SQ or QS or whatever) encoding is (I gather) trivial to do in a Reaper jsfx. I don't have a decoder, but ...

Last edited by jrk; 03-07-2021 at 05:33 PM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
plush2

Quote:
I'm a little confused about the USA only thing though. If the plugin is freely available, what is to stop anyone using it regardless of location?
I think the USA only part is simply referring to the contest from the original post. I don't think the tools are limited geographically in their use.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 PM   #16
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Quadraphonic (SQ or QS or whatever) encoding is (I gather) trivial to do in a Reaper jsfx. I don't have a decoder, but ...
Yeah. I've been playing around with that for decades now. I'm curious about these plugins though and whether they do anything additional to enhance the effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I think the USA only part is simply referring to the contest from the original post. I don't think the tools are limited geographically in their use.
Ah. That makes sense.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:14 AM   #17
jrk

Quote:
I'm curious about these plugins though and whether they do anything additional to enhance the effect.
Well, that'll be for the decoder - I'd guess. Less interesting for a producer, I'd have thought. Pity it's not open source (or is it?)