Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-15-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
Reaperseemscoolbut
Human being with feelings

Default Good Audio Interface for Guitar Recording?

Hi, I am searching for a good Audio Interface to record guitar in Reaper. I am planning to use Virtual Amp Simulators, my main expectations for the interface are a good sound quality, the possibility to listen to all tracks at the same time (not only guitar) and that the price is not too expensive (under 250 Euro if possible). I would be very glad if you have any suggestions!
Reaperseemscoolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #2
Cosmic

I've had good success with a second generation Scarlett 6i6 for this purpose. It will play at 48 samples early on in a production. Although it doesn't be long shitting the bed when theres a lot of other tracks with vst's hogging the cpu. So,I normally render a mix and open it in a new project tab and continue tracking there if I need too late in the game

So yeah Scarlett or else I heard the Zooms have good latency
Old 01-15-2021, 05:38 AM   #3
Judders

If you only want one input then Focusrite Scarlett Solo is good value, well under your budget.

Focusrite also have generous plugin giveaways regularly if you own their hardware.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
msundh

IF direct from the guitar I suggest to buy a DI box regardless.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
DVDdoug

The main thing I'd look for is zero-latency direct-hardware monitoring. (But that won't help if you want to hear effects in real-time, unless you get one of those specialty interfaces with built-in effects.)

Direct monitoring is not necessarily an expensive option.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
The main thing I'd look for is zero-latency direct-hardware monitoring. (But that won't help if you want to hear effects in real-time, unless you get one of those specialty interfaces with built-in effects.)
1. as an avid user of amp sims (which is what OP's planning) I used hardware monitoring feature grand total of zero times.

2. even the most basic Behringers or some rando no name makes have hardware monitoring now, want it or not, the feature will be there anyway

OP, get the Scarlett, it's a common choice for a reason. If you order online you can always send it back but you probably wont because by most accounts it's a good, polished product.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
Reaperseemscoolbut

OP, get the Scarlett, it's a common choice for a reason. If you order online you can always send it back but you probably wont because by most accounts it's a good, polished product.[/QUOTE]

hi, thanks for the answer! I`m sorry, i am new to the topic, do you think that the Scarlett 2i2 works fine for me? Somebody else mentioned that he isnt able to listen to all of his tracks, only guitar, when using it.
Reaperseemscoolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperseemscoolbut View Post
hi, thanks for the answer! I`m sorry, i am new to the topic, do you think that the Scarlett 2i2 works fine for me? Somebody else mentioned that he isnt able to listen to all of his tracks, only guitar, when using it.
Must've been a misunderstanding, no hardware input monitoring works that way, there's always a way to set it up so you hear both your computer audio and the guitar, otherwise it would be pointless.

And again - if you plan to only use software amp sims, you won't use hardware monitoring anyway, you'll monitor through Reaper where you will process and mix everything with everything else to your heart's content with no limits.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
b2001

Let me clarify what I meant. Its a matter of convenience to have a knob on the front of the interface to balance playback vs recording. I had it on a tascam interface which won’t work on windows 10.

I hear all my playback tracks as well as what I am recording. If anything the playback can overwhelm what I am recording. I can turn the faders down in Reaper for the individual playback tracks.

I was just saying I missed the hardware knob, if you feel you must have it, get a more expensive scarlett.
b2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
IF direct from the guitar I suggest to buy a DI box regardless.
I've tried numerous DI Boxes, and never noticed an improvement vs going direct to the Audio Interface.

Of course, running longer cable lengths across a balanced connection, or cabling out from a pedalboard/amp is different scenario and maybe there's benefits there.

I just don't see the point if you're plugging a guitar direct into the interface which is designed to take a raw guitar signal as standard.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #11
midnightvelvet

I've only ever used Scarletts, they're more than fine for just recording guitar.
midnightvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #12
msundh

I found it easier to get it right.
I started out with focusrite scarlett 18i8 1st gen and the DI made it so much easier.
Maybe the later gen's are better in this aspect.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #13
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I found it easier to get it right.
I started out with focusrite scarlett 18i8 1st gen and the DI made it so much easier.
Maybe the later gen's are better in this aspect.
Yes, the 1st gen Scarletts did not have nearly enough headroom for their instrument inputs. Any 2nd or 3rd gen interfaces should not have that problem.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote