COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 07-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #1
DiGiTaLFX
Human being with feelings

Default Shadow Copy

The only problem I have with the current features is that the program can't copy a file thats currently in use (e.g. if I've got Outlook open, it won't backup Outlook.pst). So if Shadow Backup was implemented, this would solve the problem!
DiGiTaLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
vek

DiGiTaLFX,

Close Outlook and run pathsync again. Problem solved, no?

Just curious why you're running backups when you have applications open. You might want to think about running backups when the system is idle.

--
Kev Spencer.
vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:06 AM   #3
DiGiTaLFX

Well yeah that does solve it. But the point is that I shouldn't need to close the program. I leave it running in the background all the time my computer is turned on, so PathSync should be able to work around this (along with any other programs that may be using files). The easier it is to run a backup, the more regularly this will be done!
Old 07-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

any idea of the technical way to make this happen? If you had some reasons I'd consider taking a peek..

-J
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #5
DiGiTaLFX

This looks like it tells you the basics. I think its referring to the MS backup tool, but the paragraph after the bullet points might help jump start you in the right direction. Also for my reasons see the four bullet points in that page! Sorry I can't be any more helpful with technicalities
DiGiTaLFX
Old 08-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
DiGiTaLFX

How come this has become hidden? I can't see it in the pathsync discussion (I keep checking to see if there is an official word about it).
DiGiTaLFX
edit: ah its showing again now i've made this post.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
goatpunch

I'm not sure how desirable this feature would be- if Outlook has the PST open it may be writing to it as you copy it, in which case your copy could be corrupted and useless.

Imagine if on Monday you took a good backup of your PST, and then on Tuesday you overwrote that with a corrupted version because Outlook was writing different parts of it as you copied it. You've now blown away your 'good' backup with a useless one- not the best situation.
goatpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #8
c2R

It would be good to specify as an option on particular copy batches.. I've got some software that locks files if they are open, even when no changes have been made, and this is sort of annoying... I take your point though about if a file is actually being written to..
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote