Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Mbrad
Human being with feelings

Default USB3

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I am brand new to the recording scene am looking to learn as much as I can.

I am trialing Reaper (such great reviews) and am also thinking about an external sound card to plug in my guitar and an mic. Should I be looking for something that is USB3 or will previous versions of USB suffice? Does USB3 decrease latency or other recording issues? I've heard that USB can falter if recording for a continuous long time.

Thanks again for your time.

Mbrad
Mbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
ThrashJazzAssassin

For USB soundcards, USB2 is recommended. There are no advantages of USB3

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...2-0-vs-USB-3-0

https://www.musicradar.com/news/usb-...udio-interface
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Mbrad

Thank you so much for the reply. I was able to find other posts using terms in the pages you suggested and they all say the same thing. Currently no advantage using USB 3 over USB 2.

Have a great day!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Bazzbass

beware of some shonky ebay sellers referring to their soundcard as USB 2, they will flog a USB 1 device as USB 2 coz it will work on a USB 2 socket, but it ain't USB 2 and it will suck big time. Don't ask me how I know
Old 11-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #5
Mbrad

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to hit up Amazon or my local music store. I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd gen. Any thoughts? I don't need anything major, just something to get me started that's not going to frustrate me.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
DVDdoug

Quote:
I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd gen. Any thoughts? I don't need anything major, just something to get me started that's not going to frustrate me.
Focusrite makes good stuff.

There is one popular interface (and I don't remember if it is Focusrite) that has "too much gain" on the guitar input and the recording-volume control doesn't go down to zero so some users get clipping (distortion). And some guitar players say the guitar doesn't sound right with it's volume turned-down.

If you plan on recording one guitar and one mic, you might consider a 4-channel (or more) interface just so you'll have the extra channels/inputs if you ever need them.

I also recommend getting an interface with zero-latency hardware monitoring. There is always some latency (delay) when monitoring through the computer and sometimes it's a pain to get the latency down to an acceptable amount, so IMO it's best to avoid the issue altogether. (The Focusrite website says "low latency".)
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrad View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. I was able to find other posts using terms in the pages you suggested and they all say the same thing. Currently no advantage using USB 3 over USB 2.
Yeah. USB3 is a much improved spec but interface makers generally still use USB2 on small interfaces, so you don't even see USB3 on a lot of stuff one would assume it would be on. Even higher end interfaces are. Well written drivers enable USB2 to do great stuff with a fairly current computer so there's really no worry about using it. It makes sense that 3 being technically much better than 2 would be an advantage on an interface, but they just didn't switch everything over like happened with hard drives, where it really does make a big difference.

I still get use out of my Focusrite 8i6, 2nd Gen on one rig.. Works great, doesn't hiccup.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Bazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
Focusrite makes good stuff.

There is one popular interface (and I don't remember if it is Focusrite) that has "too much gain" on the guitar input and the recording-volume control doesn't go down to zero so some users get clipping (distortion). And some guitar players say the guitar doesn't sound right with it's volume turned-down.

that was Focusrite Scarlett First Gen interfaces, all fixed on Gen II devices with improved latency as well
Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 AM   #9
LCipher

if you want really low latency - best low cost out there is Zoom UAC-2
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...C2--zoom-uac-2
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote