Old 07-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
Tom Davids
Human being with feelings

Default Crashing

For about 6 months now reaper has been randomly crashing far too often. It's really pissing me off now. The first thing I noticed when I started using reaper was it's impressive stability. Something has obviously gone wrong and I'm not sure what it is and I don't know how to find out what it is. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't really want to reset my settings as everything is sweet and i didn't have any issues until 6 months ago.
Tom Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
peter5992

I'm pretty sure there's something iffy with either your hardware (check your soundcard) or one of your plugins.

The last time Reaper crashed was years ago, can't remember what the issue was. I believe the soundcard or maybe trying to run too many programs at the same time.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Tom Davids

Thanks Peter, it's not the soundcard and it doesn't seem to be related to other programs running. But I think you could be onto something re plugins.

Is there some way to check if a plugin is causing trouble?
Old 07-27-2021, 11:58 PM   #4
bolgwrad

Have you got any projects from >6 months ago to compare, plugin-wise, with more recent unstable ones? Edgemeal has a script to export a list of all plugins to a text file which may help narrow it down. The performance meter is also helpful in finding hoggy plugins.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:20 AM   #5
Tom Davids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Have you got any projects from >6 months ago to compare, plugin-wise, with more recent unstable ones? Edgemeal has a script to export a list of all plugins to a text file which may help narrow it down. The performance meter is also helpful in finding hoggy plugins.
Thanks man, actually I'm currently working on old projects and new ones and I haven't noticed a difference. I will have a look into this script and performance meter.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:25 AM   #6
Tom Davids

I noticed that it seems to freeze and crash when selecting inserted plugins on tracks. For example, I just selected reapitch which was already loaded on a track but I wanted to see the visuals. But it crashed before opening - this seems to be common. One thing i noticed about reapitch was the high PDC.