Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 05-05-2023, 06:10 AM   #1
Jon-gtr
Human being with feelings

Default Alternative layout with different tcp background?

I've just started experimenting with different layouts and wondering if this is possible: for an alternative layout (within the same theme) where not only are sizes and positions different, but different images can be used - in particular the panel background (tcp_bg and tcp_bgsel).

As a follow-up question, I did kind of fake a solution by designing a label to fill the whole panel - but then couldn't get anything to appear in front of it other than the meter (which I know is in front by default) and the volume knob. I'm guessing I don't understand the "front" command, as I thought I followed the instructions in the walter themers guide, but all it did was make the volume control disappear!

I should add this is not critical issue for me. If it's not possible - or would require whole screeds of code - I can get by without it. Just curious!

Last edited by Jon-gtr; 05-05-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Jon-gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:18 AM   #2
luiza177

Someone correct me If I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. Smooth 6 does something like that. Maybe you can try reverse engineering it from that.
luiza177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:25 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Yes that's how it works. Give your layout its own image folder, any images in there will be used. Backgrounds, buttons, whatever.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #4
Jon-gtr

Thanks!

The rtconfig for Smooth 6 is mindboggling, but I've found out how to change all the panels (directing the layout to a different image folder).

Currently looking for way to change just one panel... Is that possible? Or just a weird step too far? (My crazy plan is to have toolbar buttons to select between two (or mayba more) different panel designs for each panel, ideally with a mixer panel to match.)

Any further clues or advice welcome.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:21 PM   #5
Rednroll

Is the single panel you’re trying to modify the default layout or an alternate layout?

The Walter code is similar doing it either way but there’s simple ways to do it if you just want to change the bg image and not inadvertently change anything else if that’s all you want to do. It involves understanding how Reaper processes the lines from top to bottom.

You can look at my RiVOA theme rtconfig for other examples on how to do this where I have multiple layouts which have done this and it’s all Walter code with alot of comments to assist with what is going on.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-05-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
Jon-gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Is the single panel you’re trying to modify the default layout or an alternate layout?
Good question. The idea is simply to have the option for the alternate layout to only affect one track, or a selection of tracks, not to affect the whole theme.

But - if it's not hugely complicated - it would be nice to have a set of defaults all to the same design (standard theme), with the option of choosing from a few alternatives for individual panels. (I do realise there is plenty you can do with colours and icons to that end; I also realise it could result in an unholy mess, design-wise... )
Quote:
The Walter code is similar doing it either way but there’s simple ways to do it if you just want to change the bg image and not inadvertently change anything else if that’s all you want to do. It involves understanding how Reaper processes the lines from top to bottom.
Right. The bg alone was the first thing I wanted to control, but I have the answer to that now.
Quote:
You can look at my RiVOA theme rtconfig for other examples on how to do this where I have multiple layouts which have done this and it’s all Walter code with alot of comments to assist with what is going on.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Any specific details I should look out for?
Old 05-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
Rednroll

I may be misunderstanding something.

However, if you select Options>Layout and select your layout there, then that sets the global default layout and will change all tracks to that layout and all newly added tracks will load with that layout. If you want to just change a single track with one of the layouts you already created, then you right click on that track and change its layout there. The last method, will just change that particular track’s layout. Is that what you’re after?
Old 05-05-2023, 01:37 PM   #8
Jon-gtr

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding something.

However, if you select Options>Layout and select your layout there, then that sets the global default layout and will change all tracks to that layout and all newly added tracks will load with that layout. If you want to just change a single track with one of the layouts you already created, then you right click on that track and change its layout there. The last method, will just change that particular track’s layout. Is that what you’re after?
Aaagh! Yes! Duh! I never even noticed that choice on the right-click menu... (Or maybe I just forgot it...)

Ideally, I suppose, I would like that choice as a way of loading a track first (i.e., like a template) rather than changing it once it's there, but that seems a trivial distinction.

This is not the first time I've been hacking my way through the jungle when there's been a clear path just to one side... Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2023, 02:06 PM   #9
Rednroll

It's doable. The key is to create track templates combined with some SWS custom actions assigned to toolbar buttons.

That's exactly what I am showing here with my RiVOA theme. When I click on the toolbar buttons, it adds a custom track template which I previously created. Also keep in mind if you want to get even further into one-click toolbar button creation. Every menu and right click context menu item is an action in Reaper and can be assigned to a toolbar button. Right clicking has started to grow old for me where I've been creating custom toolbar buttons instead.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-05-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:23 PM   #10
Jon-gtr

Excellent, that looks just like what I'm aiming for. I'll check out your theme! (There's only a screenshot in resources, is there another way I can see your rtconfig? or the sws custom actions?)

This particular r-click context menu item doesn't seem to be in Actions.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:31 PM   #11
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-gtr View Post
Excellent, that looks just like what I'm aiming for. I'll check out your theme!
Unfortunately, custom Toolbars aren't included as part of a theme, just the toolbar button images can be included with the theme. To get everything as I have shown in that theme demo, you would need to additionally install the Toolbar add-on, the SWS extension and potentially the track template add-on. If you already have any custom toolbars created, then you may want to export those in case you decide you want to go back since those button action command mappings carry-over to every theme. If you just have the Default toolbars, then those can easily be restored since there are "restore to default" toolbar and menu actions. Installing the track template add-on may not be essential. Those are just track templates I created using my theme and then I configured the SWS Extensions to load those track templates. You could do the same in your theme by creating your own track templates.

Like all theme's the rtconfig.txt file is located inside of the theme's image resource folder. See the top stickies on how to unzip a theme to gain access to the image resource folder.

The SWS custom actions are not mine. That's a Reaper specific add-on which provides additional actions/functionality to Reaper.

See this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29640

Link to download and then install SWS extensions from here:
https://www.sws-extension.org/

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-05-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:40 PM   #12
Jon-gtr

Thanks again, but I think I've found another way - at least it works for what I currently want.
I did it through Screensets/Layouts, assigning action #1 to Selected Track Panel, and then adding the action "Layout: Apply custom layout #01" to a toolbar button. I'd tried that way before, but had missed a step.

EDIT: thanks for those other links too!

Last edited by Jon-gtr; 05-05-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-gtr View Post
Thanks again, but I think I've found another way - at least it works for what I currently want.
I did it through Screensets/Layouts, assigning action #1 to Selected Track Panel, and then adding the action "Layout: Apply custom layout #01" to a toolbar button. I'd tried that way before, but had missed a step.

It still means I need a default panel there already, but I've a feeling I can work that out too...
Good to know. I may give that a try also since I'm currently unfamiliar with using screenset/layouts.

Another method for loading track templates is that in my explorer toolbar, I have a shortcut button to the Track Templates folder. I just click on that shortcut button, it takes me directly to the Track template folder in the explorer and then you can just drag and drop those track template files into the project and it inserts a new track with those defined track template layouts. No SWS extensions required for that method as well.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:27 PM   #14
Jon-gtr

Yes, it's easy enough to do it via the templates folder (there is an action which leads to that) but I wanted a button to load a template directly (with or without the alternate layout), which I've managed to do.
It would need a different button for another template, but that's not a huge deal, and tbh I'm still working out what will be the most useful of all these options for the way I work.