Old 01-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
vitory
Human being with feelings

Default Scoring in Sibelius (Rewire)

Hi guys,

I'm getting trouble using sibelius.

I could properly setting rewire (I guess) according to this thread:
Rewire : Reaper as master, Sibelius as slave with midi send (https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137265)

The problems are:

1. There's a quite latency on playbacking, even with the style performance setted (Expressivo and Rubato as Meccanico and Rythmic feel as Straight).

2. More serious: is there a way allow tempo changes in sibelius automatically change Reaper project? In a piece full of tempo changes is hard-boiled the duplicated work of alter and sibelius and reaper, in a way I though the "allow slave to set tempo" option in fx should work - but won't.

Even when I do the manually tempo chagens in the master envelope trying to match what is scored on Sibelius, the playback is bizarre.

Thanks for any tips.
vitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Jason Lyon

Probably not the answer you wanted, but...

I use Sib for scoring (using its own playback engine) and then dump out the MIDI into REAPER for detailed mockup work. Tempo and volume changes come along with the MIDI files (as well as some other ccs), so they're editable in REAPER.

I don't quite see the need to link the two - Sib can natively handle sample libraries and articulations (although it's notoriously fiddly). Easier, IMO, to put up with limited expression control at that stage and treat the REAPER stage as the finishing process.

(Of course, things can get a bit mucky when you decide to change the orchestration at the mockup stage and want to reimport the MIDI back into Sib to produce parts...)

I also reckon that while the industry is definitely moving towards an all-in-one solution, the day might not ever come. So there are still some tasks that are best handled in individual applications.

I also think that while REAPER does now have some limited but reasonable score display and editing features, full-on classical scorewriting is probably not a top priority for the devs.

After all, there are pure audio people who hardly ever touch MIDI; pure MIDI people who can't really read music; rock/pop people who couldn't care less about key sigs in alto clef; and R&B and EDM people who think purely in grids. Not knocking any of them, btw.

Personally, it would be a joy for me to have a single program seamlessly integrating eg the DAW power of REAPER, the scorewriting power of Sib, the auto-accomp power of BIAB, etc. But for now, I find the effort of lashing them together with duct tape and the performance problems too much bother. So I work in stages.

But that's just my opinion - what does anyone else think?

PS If classical music is your bag and you're frustrated with Sib's playback engine, I can recommend NotePerformer. It's not perfect - nothing ever is - but it's the most natural sounding plugin option I've found and also you install it and it just magically... works. No pissing about with playback setups.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #3
vitory

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention that my workflow used to be like you suggest; First scoring/drafting on sibelius exporting midi files and then sculpting on reaper/kontakt.

But in this particulary case I need to create an orchestration over a final mixed rockband, in a way that the use of this audio during the scoring process would be crucial. I even considered work directly on reaper "playing and recording" VSTi with my controller instead creating a score and the whole process described, But for this type of music the notation still central on process, at least for me.

I'm not exactly hopeful about an all-in-one solution either, but it's very frustrating that a technology (not exactly current) doesn't work how it should.

Unfortunately, the mockup is the real thing for the most of the things I do. But maybe something between sibelius sounds and heavy kontakt library could be something interesting for next projects. I'll check these NotePerformer.

Again, thank you for your thoughts.
vitory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Jason Lyon

Sounds like a messy gig you've got there.

Tempo management is a real pain, but I dimly recall that Sib allows you to include audio tracks, just as you can include a video track with audio.

If the tempo wanders wildly, I reckon you'll just have to take it in sections as you would with film cues. Then stitch it all together at the other end.

Sorry, but I just don't think you're going to get the sync you want automatically. Or rather, I think that you'd waste more time trying to fix up a sync solution than doing it by hand.

If anyone more wizardly wanders by in the meantime, I'd love to hear from them. But you've got to get on with this, right?

And look on the bright side. It's an incentive to work fast and trust your first instincts. That's often where your best work comes from anyway.

PS Here's a link to my review of NotePerformer, with an example:
https://jasonlyonjazz.wordpress.com/.../note-perfect/
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
ewenflint1

Default Tempo changes in Reaper and Sibelius

You can change the tempo at any point in a Sibelius score simply by inserting a new tempo marker, just as you do in Reaper.
ewenflint1 is offline   Reply With Quote