Human being with feelings

Default v6.61+dev0626 - June 26 2022

v6.61+dev0626 - June 26 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: render fade-in/fade-out
  • * Includes feature branch: pan law/function improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer loudness calculation
  • * Includes feature branch: render statistics improvements
  • * Includes feature branch: fixed lane play markers
  • * Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
  • + Pan: fix UI glitches when changing project and per-track pan modes [p=2572042]
  • + Pan: improve behavior of hybrid taper with certain manually entered pan laws (thanks ErBird) [p=2572055]
  • + Pan: special case -3dB and -6dB pan law to be exactly equivalent to equal power and equal gain respectively; preserve existing settings in existing projects
  • + Razor edits: fix editing when partial measures exist in project [p=2572470]
  • + Razor edits: fix trim action when there are multiple razor edit areas on a single automation item
  • + VST: round VstTimeInfo::samplePos to nearest sample [t=268181]
  • # FX: improve parameter link behavior on sample accurate automated fx [p=2572528]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
Mercado_Negro

Please consider an option or modifier to change all selected tracks pan laws and/or pan modes at the same time
Old 06-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

# FX: improve parameter link behavior on sample accurate automated fx [p=2572528]

Hi Justin.

Only been able to try this for a short period tonight but on the big 5 day orchestral set up and so far it seems to work great!

Thanks for the effort on this. You've saved my sanity knowing that those days weren't for nothing!

I'll try some other stuff tomorrow but seems fixed so thanks a googolplex for that!
Old 06-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #4
srdmusic

Default VST3 GUI resizing incorrectly

I've been experiencing some odd GUI behavior with some of my VST3 instruments. The GUI's are not resizing correctly to fit my FX Chain window. East West Play and Opus opens too large. Softube Model 84 opens too small. Please see the images below for reference. As you can see the GUI get cut off or there is a large black area where the plugins not sizing up correctly.

I believe the issue may be related to the following pre-release updates:

v6.61 - June 17 2022
+ VST: improve initial size behavior with plug-ins that adjust size when UI opens (Kee Bass)

v6.60 - June 8 2022
+ FX: allow resizing FX windows beyond screen size on Windows

srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
srdmusic

Default Audio glitch when instrument becomes online

I've experimenting with the feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length

I've noticed that some instruments that produce a small audio glitch when they come back online. For example, I have a session where there's no media playing back at Bar 1 of my sequence. So Reaper shuts off processing the plugins on the track. Then when media starts playing at bar 2, the instrument comes back online and I hear a small audio glitch as soon as audio is supposed to play back.

Perhaps we need a fail safe small fade in and out when an instrument or fx goes on/offline. That way if an instrument shuts off before the tail is fully played out, there won't be an audio glitch when the fx goes offline. Same goes for a small fade in on all instruments coming online.

This audio glitch also seems to be reproducible if an effect is automated on/offline while audio is still playing through the plugin. It hard cuts the audio and causes the glitch.

I believe a small fade similar to the following preference would fix the issue:

Old 06-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I've been experiencing some odd GUI behavior with some of my VST3 instruments. The GUI's are not resizing correctly to fit my FX Chain window. East West Play and Opus opens too large. Softube Model 84 opens too small. Please see the images below for reference. As you can see the GUI get cut off or there is a large black area where the plugins not sizing up correctly.

v6.61 - June 17 2022
+ VST: improve initial size behavior with plug-ins that adjust size when UI opens (Kee Bass)

v6.60 - June 8 2022

Can you tell me the exact release that each of these changed behavior with? Thanks.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I've experimenting with the feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length

I've noticed that some instruments that produce a small audio glitch when they come back online. For example, I have a session where there's no media playing back at Bar 1 of my sequence. So Reaper shuts off processing the plugins on the track. Then when media starts playing at bar 2, the instrument comes back online and I hear a small audio glitch as soon as audio is supposed to play back.

Perhaps we need a fail safe small fade in and out when an instrument or fx goes on/offline. That way if an instrument shuts off before the tail is fully played out, there won't be an audio glitch when the fx goes offline. Same goes for a small fade in on all instruments coming online.

This audio glitch also seems to be reproducible if an effect is automated on/offline while audio is still playing through the plugin. It hard cuts the audio and causes the glitch.

I believe a small fade similar to the following preference would fix the issue:

A fade is not the answer. (it shouldn't be at least)

If there's a plug-in that is misreporting it's tail length, you can try enabling the compatibility setting to use automatic tail length detection...

It could also be that the plug-in is not properly flushing at playback start, and you're hearing the result of previous output -- you can try toggling "hard reset on playback start" for a problematic plug-in, which could help.

Last edited by Justin; 06-26-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:42 PM   #8
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
A fade is not the answer. (it shouldn't be at least)

If there's a plug-in that is misreporting it's tail length, you can try enabling the compatibility setting to use automatic tail length detection...

It could also be that the plug-in is not properly flushing at playback start, and you're hearing the result of previous output -- you can try toggling "hard reset on playback start" for a problematic plug-in, which could help.
Thanks for the quick response Justin. Most of the problems I'm hearing are not tail related. They are at the start of midi note. The midi note triggers which turns Kontakt back on, then I hear a pop before audio starts.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
# FX: improve parameter link behavior on sample accurate automated fx [p=2572528]
Seem great. but what exactly does it mean ? No involvement of the GUI thread with envelope or Midi based parameter modulation ?

(I recently tried to do some tests but Juce did not support sample accurate parameter modulation yet. Right now a new Juce version is out. I did not et check out that one.)
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #10
srdmusic

Quote:
Can you tell me the exact release that each of these changed behavior with? Thanks.
reaper659+dev0602_x64 seems to the the first occurrence of the error. Everything after this version also has the error.

reaper659_x64 Public Release and v6.58+dev0526 and every version before works as expected.

Strange thing is that there's nothing in the release notes for 659+dev060 version that would point to a change with plugin GUI's

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks Justin.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:34 AM   #11
Zmey79

Default Will this ever get fixed?

How tired I am of this:

https://disk.yandex.ru/i/2X7Enf4PxGdZqw
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:54 AM   #12
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmey79 View Post
Привет. Создай тему в баг репортах, там это будет уместно и больше вероятности, что исправят. Эта тема только для багов dev версий.

eng:
Hi. Create a topic in bug reports, it will be appropriate there. This topic is only for bugs in dev versions.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:05 AM   #13
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Seem great. but what exactly does it mean ? No involvement of the GUI thread with envelope or Midi based parameter modulation ?

(I recently tried to do some tests but Juce did not support sample accurate parameter modulation yet. Right now a new Juce version is out. I did not et check out that one.)
-Michael
This is relating to a change in behaviour which had been done for vst2 but is also now done for vst3 (including if it's sample accurate).

All it means is that a vst parameter which is also controlled via midi input (using reaper's parameter linking) remembers its last value it received via midi CCs even after the project is closed and reopened.

Before it would chase back to 0 as if it was expecting values from midi items but now it stays at last value till it receives new input.

The sample accurate bit was because it was fixed in last build for vst2 but needed a secondary fix to sort out vst3 sample accurate parameters
Old 06-27-2022, 04:07 AM   #14
Zmey79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Привет. Создай тему в баг репортах, там это будет уместно и больше вероятности, что исправят. Эта тема только для багов dev версий.

eng:
Hi. Create a topic in bug reports, it will be appropriate there. This topic is only for bugs in dev versions.
Да я создал и раньше создавал тоже. Джастин знает об этом, исправлял,чё-то там,так и не исправил нихрена). Там тоже создана тема и сейчас.
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:43 AM   #15
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
v6.61+dev0626 - June 26 2022
* Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
I really hope before this feature is finalized there's a way to enable auto-bypass in existing projects that doesn't require doing it one at a time.
I've probably opened 5,000 or more FX windows to enable this (which annoyingly always open in the top-left when my mixer is in the bottom right)

An action to have existing instances in a project use the default setting for new instances would turn hours of monotonous work into one-click per project.

There's also no easy way to know a plugin's auto-bypass status.
Studio One shows each plugin's "sleep" status and allows easily enabling/disabling all in one place. This would be ideal for the FX section of the Project Bay and solve multiple issues at once.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I really hope before this feature is finalized there's a way to enable auto-bypass in existing projects that doesn't require doing it one at a time.
I've probably opened 5,000 or more FX windows to enable this (which annoyingly always open in the top-left when my mixer is in the bottom right)

An action to have existing instances in a project use the default setting for new instances would turn hours of monotonous work into one-click per project.

Studio One shows each plugin's "sleep" status and allows easily enabling/disabling all in one place. This would be ideal for the FX section of the Project Bay and solve multiple issues at once.
There's a project setting which can be enabled on your existing projects.

Once that is enabled, various plug-ins that properly report their tails will work. Plug-ins that don't properly report their tails will need some compatibility settings tweaked, which you can do (but doing it for problematic plug-ins is a per-plug-in thing and not a per-instance thing).
Old 06-27-2022, 09:30 AM   #17
Mercado_Negro

But what if this feature was polished a bit more like StudioOne's? Just to make it easier for the end-user. Maybe use the Performance Meter to disable, enable, tweak, etc., auto-bypass on plugins? or maybe on the FX tab on the project bay?
Old 06-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #18
Justin
Administrator

Looking at some project bay improvements yeah
Old 06-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #19
srdmusic

Quote:
Looking at some project bay improvements yeah
Thank you Justin, This performance window from Studio One looks nice. Maybe in the track list the user check a box to nap all plugins per track and we could have some kind of indicator like this moon shaped icon to let the user know that everything on that track is auto-bypassing.

If you think it's to problematic to auto-bypass on the track level, It would be nice to have a list of every plugin in the session like this studio one screen shot. That way a user could quickly adjust the auto-bypass setting per plugin.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:58 AM   #20
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post

Does anyone know what the "Dropout Protection" setting does in this Studio One screen shot? Is that similar to "Anticipatory FX processing/ media buffering" or ASIO guard in Cubase?
Old 06-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #21
musicbynumbers

Did a few more orchestral bits today and the parameter linking fix still seems to be working great thanks!
Old 06-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #22
Funkybot

Quote:
Does anyone know what the "Dropout Protection" setting does in this Studio One screen shot? Is that similar to "Anticipatory FX processing/ media buffering" or ASIO guard in Cubase?
Yeah, it's Studio One's version of a dual-buffer design. Tracks without input monitoring getting a higher buffer. It's a pretty piss-poor implementation though. What they do for the input monitored tracks is basically create a copy of the FX chain and link the live/monitored copy to the inactive copy via parameter automation to keept he FX in sync. The issue is that when you move a plugin parameter on the live FX chain, you will only hear the chain if the parameter has a VST automation parameter. So FX with modulor automation assignments, like Amplitube5 for example, will have you moving plugin parameters and not hearing the changes until you toggle input monitoring.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #23
Thonex

SOLVED -- See this post: Post #29

I think I found a bug in the Fixed Lanes feature. After I've finished with fixed lanes on one track, if I decide to create another track and use the OLD lanes (without Fixed Lanes checked on the track), the track switches to Fixed Lanes as soon as I record a 2nd overlapping item.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 06-28-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #24
Thonex

Bug:

Option-Dragging (copy-dragging) an item track creates a TON of undo points when using a trackpad... and only fewer unnecessary ones when using a mouse.

MBP OS 12.2.1
Old 06-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #25
tonalstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Bug:

Option-Dragging (copy-dragging) an item track creates a TON of undo points when using a trackpad... and only fewer unnecessary ones when using a mouse.

MBP OS 12.2.1
Yesterday I experienced this too but in the official 6.61 release. This also happened when cutting items with razor edit then muting them, when trying to undo all that, it had like 10 undo point before the razor edit area appeared back. I just restarted reaper and it worked fine again.

I'll see if it happens again.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #26
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Yesterday I experienced this too but in the official 6.61 release. This also happened when cutting items with razor edit then muting them, when trying to undo all that, it had like 10 undo point before the razor edit area appeared back. I just restarted reaper and it worked fine again.

I'll see if it happens again.
Yeah... I didn't try restarting, but I did notice it was even adding unnecessary Undo points when using a mouse. I use an older version on my "official rig" (v6.38) and the Option-Drag (drag copy) worked without issue on the older system.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:46 PM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
I think I found a bug in the Fixed Lanes feature. After I've finished with fixed lanes on one track, if I decide to create another track and use the OLD lanes (without Fixed Lanes checked on the track), the track switches to Fixed Lanes as soon as I record a 2nd overlapping item.
In the Options menu, what is enabled under "new recording that overlaps existing media items" ?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 04:46 PM   #28
PitchSlap

Quote:

v6.61 - June 17 2022

v6.60 - June 8 2022
I've also been having similar issues. GUI's cut off, incorrect window resizing, and I had a problem where Fab-Filter/DMG plugins would have the GUI blown up about 3-4x the size in the same space (most controls inaccessible).
Sometimes switching to the generic GUI and back fixes things, but not always.

I recently upgraded to 4K monitors so thought it might be specific to my system.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #29
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
In the Options menu, what is enabled under "new recording that overlaps existing media items" ?
Hi Schwa... sorry for not getting back earlier.

Here were my settings:

Ahh... I guess I should use the top one for default Takes functionality.

Thanks Schwa!

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 06-29-2022, 08:29 AM   #30
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #31
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:56 AM   #32