Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
MaXyM
Human being with feelings

Default Ambience settings messing up

hello
While trying Reaper since a year ago or so, I still feel to be beginner, so sorry if I'm reporting something obvious.

In my recent project I decided to use Ambience reverb plugin. In fact, 3 instances based on the same preset, but each modified a bit. After a while I figured out, that some settings of those plugins are messed out.
Of course, the first thought was it's my fault. But after problem returns back again, I figured out that something is wrong with the either with plugin or the DAW.

At first I noticed, that sometimes, switching between presets, some parameters doesn't change while other does.
At secondly I found, that if I load a preset, modify one parameter (let's say the length of reverb) then switch to another preset and forth, all possible parameters are being changed, but the manually changed value returns to what I've set. In my understanding, it should load all values from selected preset regardless I changes any in the past.

I did a test case:
1. created empty project
2. created 3 tracks, with one instance of Ambience reverb on each
3. I loaded the same preset to each instance.
4. and changed reverb length to 1, 2 and 3 seconds respectively
5. saved project, closed reper, then re-open the project again - everything ok so far

6. I started to play with changed parameter in one of the reverbs, also loading forth and back presets from the list. At the end I returned to original preset (which seems to remember my initial reverb length)
7. Saved project, closed Reaper.
8. After re-opening the project, I opened all 3 instances of reverbs seeing that despite the all of them have marked a preset I've initially/recently selected as active, several reverbation values (incl manually set) doesn't match selected preset nor my manually set value.

This is the only plugin I found behaves this way.

Question is, is it plugin bug (how plugins might affect each other?). Is it Reaper glitch? Maybe it's being exposed only in specific situations/configurations etc.

with regards

Last edited by MaXyM; 01-11-2019 at 05:09 PM.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #2
ivansc

As far as I am aware there is no Ambience or Ambiance plugin included in Reaper`s native plugins.

Would this be the free Smart Electronics plug?

Assuming it is, I will D/L it and see if I can reproduce your issue.

Blimey! 15 year old reverb plugin... 32 bit only..... I would suggest you find something that is more likely to run reliably on a modern OS. Also no input from Magnusson in quite a while, so I assume support is now non-existent.
Have a look at these...
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...b-vst-plugins/

(although funnily enough they are still including "your" reverb anyway!) Unless you are still on 32bit windows I still cant recommend you keep it over some of the others. Voxengo Old Skool reverb,Sanford and Onilriver are all excellent, recent products and in my experience 100% reliable in Reaper.

Last edited by ivansc; 01-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
MaXyM

Thank you for your response.

Yes, it's old indeed however suggested on a lot of webpages as you've seen

Because of it, as well as found no similar reports, I though it might be indicator of some hidden bug in a DAW.

Anyway, thank you for directing me to other plugins. I'll try them for sure.

with regards
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
ivansc

FWIW I used to use Ambience when I was still on 32bit windows and dont recall ever having an issue with it.
Might be worth checking to see if it is something you accidentally or deliberately changed in your particular setup by doing a new portable install & only allowing it access to that one plugin.

Quick & easy and it might just uncover something a little more specific.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
FnA

It has some similar issues for me. Some other free plugins as well. I don’t know what the best strategy is to deal with it. I just use .rpl presets for these plugins that have these kinds of problems. Maybe this thread has some relation: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197538
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote