Old 07-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Default Ravnir's Saga

I've tentatively begun working on a sequel to my Waters of Redemption album released last year. Just like WoR, Ravnir's Saga is a 100% REAPER-made orchestral concept album. A WIP version of the opening track is now up on Soundcloud:

The Scourge of Brenland

I'll post updates here as soon as new tracks are composed an released. If you're curious about the storyline and the nitty-gritty aspects of the album's development, there's a thread here that might be of interest.

Also, as this is based on a completely new orchestral project template, any and all thoughts on the mixing bit are very welcome as I feel like I'm not seeing the wood for the trees right now.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Reason

Granted the technology has come a long way in 16 years but production wise this is better than any of the orchestral portions of Atlantis Ascendant. I just gave it a quick listen.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
I've tentatively begun working on a sequel to my Waters of Redemption album released last year. Just like WoR, Ravnir's Saga is a 100% REAPER-made orchestral concept album. A WIP version of the opening track is now up on Soundcloud:

The Scourge of Brenland

I'll post updates here as soon as new tracks are composed an released. If you're curious about the storyline and the nitty-gritty aspects of the album's development, there's a thread here that might be of interest.

Also, as this is based on a completely new orchestral project template, any and all thoughts on the mixing bit are very welcome as I feel like I'm not seeing the wood for the trees right now.
Hi Mattias, as usual, very well done. Sounds great, good composition, good mix, and great midi programming.

I only listened all the way through once. But if I was to scrutinize a little, there are some places where some of the instruments start to sound a little mundane or redundant. Perhaps a little more liberal use of velocities might help, by that I mean variations.

I love your use of reverb, it sounds great, but maybe a bit too much. Or maybe a bit much for some instruments. Instruments with a mid range, or high mid rangy sound, tend to sound a little ringy with too much verb.

But this is just nitpicking, it still sounds absolutely great, which I've come to expect of you.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
Timothy Lawler

That was a good listen. Very effective orchestration.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
cerendir

Thanks guys!

Tod, you're right about this being a tad too wet. Still tweaking reverb levels and instrument positioning. One moment I like it the way it is, sort of larger than life, and the next it feels too smeary and distant. Just need to find the right balance I guess.

As for mundane or redundant, not sure what you mean here? Do you mean that there is too little variance in dynamics, and/or that some instruments are superfluous during some parts?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
As for mundane or redundant, not sure what you mean here? Do you mean that there is too little variance in dynamics, and/or that some instruments are superfluous during some parts?
Negate that Mattias, after another listen, there was really only one section that stuck out to me as redundant. It's about 1:01 seconds in and lasts about 18 seconds. You have what sounds to me like some fairly high woodwinds, along with some bell like instrument(s) playing the same thing over and over. You've also got what I think are cellos and some high strings playing a particular line under that, over and over.

As I was going over this I noticed a section that's about 6 to 7 seconds long, just before that section I refer to above (call it the bell section), it starts about 54 seconds in, and makes a nice change that carries out into the bell section. Maybe make that short section kind of a retard, leading into the bell section. I mean retard in intensity and maybe even in tempo. Then when you start the bell section, start it with the same timing you have now, but with lower dynamics and let it build to the end of that section.

Please forgive me if I'm overbearing , it's just something I heard the first time I listened to it, and on further review, that's what I came up with.

Incidentally, I wanted to discuss this on "Scoring Central" but I couldn't find it on the forum, I don't think I know my way around there very well yet.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
cerendir

Haha, no wonder everything was a tad too wet sounding... I had accidentally bumped up the "Front" reverb buss (where all the strings go) by 3.4dB. Updated version, same link as before. Sounding a little more sensible now

Good idea about the bell section as you call it Tod, definitely going to try that. It's definitely a bit too undynamic right now.

Also, I have uploaded the second track (or an early sketch thereof at least) called Anvil of the Blind God. Not as purely orchestral as the first one, this time I'm going for more of an ancient, Iron Age vibe.

As for Scoring Central, a link to the topic is in the first post of the thread, it's under User Music on SC
Old 07-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Haha, no wonder everything was a tad too wet sounding... I had accidentally bumped up the "Front" reverb buss (where all the strings go) by 3.4dB. Updated version, same link as before. Sounding a little more sensible now
Oh yeah, that's much better.

Quote:
Also, I have uploaded the second track (or an early sketch thereof at least) called Anvil of the Blind God. Not as purely orchestral as the first one, this time I'm going for more of an ancient, Iron Age vibe.
That sounds good to Mattias.