Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #41
Sexan
Human being with feelings

haha is it 1 2 3 4 5 6 or 6 5 4 3 2 1 ? Since its not bits I assume its the first one
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Code:
ctx->AddLine("LANESOLOMARKER %f %f %d %u %u %d",
  ls->pos,
  ls->xfade_len,
  ls->xfade_shape,
  (unsigned int)(ls->lane_solo&0xFFFFFFFF),
  (unsigned int)(ls->lane_solo>>32),
  ls->sel);
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #43
_Stevie_

I'm just using fixed lanes for recording several vocal takes and one thing came into my mind. Would it be possible to implement something like "enlarge currently selected item"?

The use case is: I want to listen thru all the items one by one and have a zoomed view for the currently selected one:

Old 05-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #44
pepe44

when recording drums , for example, we use multiple microphones.
Editing the drums to create a comp is a standard procedure. I see this new lane system could benefit from grouped lane markers for different tracks. Would it be possible?

Will this substitute the actual take system or cockos will leave both as a retro compatible option?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #45
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's fine not to like the display and I'm sure the look will change many times before the feature is released. My intent is to explain why think we need a dedicated area on the screen for these behaviors.
Here's an idea on space saving that's akin to the way the old take system lanes are collapsable (by toggling show all takes in lanes when room).

Perhaps eventually in the new system when there is a way of collapsing the lanes to used items only it would be an acceptable trade off to use the top area of items where their name is displayed and mute icons etc for the play regions. Then when you've finished editing the lane content you collapse the view to used items only and the names and icons reappear?
Old 05-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #46
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
theme bug involving the 'mcp_folder_last.png' image.
Got it, thanks.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #47
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post
Editing the drums to create a comp is a standard procedure. I see this new lane system could benefit from grouped lane markers for different tracks. Would it be possible?
We'd like to support that eventually, but it won't be immediately.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #48
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
v6.58+dev0525 - May 25 2022[*]+ Media item lanes: add actions to add or delete lane at top of track
Regarding deleting lanes, would it be possible to have an action in the lane's header menu to delete each lane individually?
Or i think it would be useful if we could add or remove a lane as we can so with CC lanes, the - and + symbols could remove or create a new empty lane below.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #49
MrTsonts

Item lanes: Insert empty lane at top of track
Item lanes: Delete lane at top of track (including any media items)

It is not clear which tracks should be targeted by these actions. Lines are added and removed on all tracks at the same time, whether they are selected or not.

MrTsonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #50
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Just noticed that in this build these two new actions incorrectly affect all tracks, we'll fix it so they affect only selected tracks.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:09 PM   #51
MrTsonts

Quote:
Sorry. I turned out to be inattentive, which should not be characteristic of a person working in Reaper))))))
MrTsonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #52
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe44 View Post

Will this substitute the actual take system or cockos will leave both as a retro compatible option?
You could always record your full multi-mic drum setup to a single multi-channel .wav file then bus each channel out to another track for traditional mixing. That way you could use that single multi-channel audio file for all the drum editing, but you'll still have individual outputs on the MCP for mixing like you currently do. Save this as a template, and presto, best of both worlds! Kenny did a whole video on it. That approach combined with play marker comps will be my go-to multi-mic setup from now on.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #53
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Got it, thanks.
I was able to fix it with this line added after the drawMcp 1 entry
Code:
drawMcp 1
set mcp.folder	?sidebarMode{0} !folderstate=1 + [-86]
::
Old 05-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #54
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
You could always record your full multi-mic drum setup to a single multi-channel .wav file then bus each channel out to another track for traditional mixing. That way you could use that single multi-channel audio file for all the drum editing, but you'll still have individual outputs on the MCP for mixing like you currently do. Save this as a template, and presto, best of both worlds! Kenny did a whole video on it. That approach combined with play marker comps will be my go-to multi-mic setup from now on.
Bussing each output to another track is a lot more work than discrete tracks for each input if you are doing live recording and can't pre-save a template, especially if you are doing overdubs where you have to change inputs and track counts on the fly. Sure there are situations where recording a combo or band where track layout would stay the same, but if you are doing live orchestra recording for instance, I definitely wouldn't want to do this on the fly. So having this type of ability to group/edit only for lanes and not tracks would be very limiting. Obviously more than what we have currently, but it would be disappointing not to see this extended in the future.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:36 PM   #55
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Bussing each output to another track is a lot more work than discrete tracks for each input if you are doing live recording and can't pre-save a template, especially if you are doing overdubs where you have to change inputs and track counts on the fly. Sure there are situations where recording a combo or band where track layout would stay the same, but if you are doing live orchestra recording for instance, I definitely wouldn't want to do this on the fly. So having this type of ability to group/edit only for lanes and not tracks would be very limiting. Obviously more than what we have currently, but it would be disappointing not to see this extended in the future.
Schwa has already indicated it will be extended in the future, and I'm all for that. But if I was recording drums tomorrow and wanted to try out this new comping approach, that'd how I'd track them. Same for a stereo mic'd guitar, DI'd+Amp'd bass, etc. But when you can comp with grouped tracks, then even better!
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:23 AM   #56
musicbynumbers

Hence the eventual need for a item container that spans multiple tracks and groups all items so play markers can either affect all in the container or just a single track. These could also then allow for changing all of its insides at once for comping saving and recalls too as well as proper group item editing like pro tools has.

It would allow both macro and micro edits then and avoid track based save/recall issues like not being able to edit the song structure or easily copy comps to other parts of the song.

Anyway. We nearly had these a few months back and if they supported multiple tracks instead of just one. It would be super powerful!
Old 05-26-2022, 02:31 AM   #57
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Anyway. We nearly had these a few months back and if they supported multiple tracks instead of just one. It would be super powerful!
Which +dev are you referring to?

As for moving/copying comps, can't you just select everything (items and markers) and copy/paste/insert like anywhere else?
Old 05-26-2022, 02:42 AM   #58
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Hence the eventual need for a item container that spans multiple tracks and groups all items so play markers can either affect all in the container or just a single track. These could also then allow for changing all of its insides at once for comping saving and recalls too as well as proper group item editing like pro tools has.

It would allow both macro and micro edits then and avoid track based save/recall issues like not being able to edit the song structure or easily copy comps to other parts of the song.

Yes item container would be great. If we could have a top master lane and an option to hide and mute the rest lanes with comps, then we could send these comps in the container item to the top master lane, which it could save a lot of space to work with from the rest comps.
But i would like to be connected with the rest comps, double clicking on the container it would be nice to show the comps below and the opposite, and moving the container would move the comps as well.

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-26-2022 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:43 AM   #59
Vagelis

Quote:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=252318
Old 05-26-2022, 02:54 AM   #60
musicbynumbers

Quote:

As for moving/copying comps, can't you just select everything (items and markers) and copy/paste/insert like anywhere else?
It was an experiment we had for a few builds many months ago but got taken back to the drawing board so to speak.

The copy pasting thing you mentioned would be easier if you were able to just copy paste the container and then recall a different comp for that area. That's more what I meant, being able to quickly use a different comp for say chorus 2 to chorus 1 from the same edit session rather than razor edit copying what is already there.

That's not really the main benefit to an item container though. Its more about treating many items over many tracks as if it was a multitracked single audio piece (even if there are lots of gaps too which are current grouped item system doesn't handle well at all).

That way you can cut/copy/stretch/reverse and generally edit the container as if it was a single piece.

Great not just for multitracked audio but also say individually cut up beats over multiple tracks. You could even shrink all track heights etc say a folder track and edit from there.

Razor edits massively help but don't give us everything (especially not special things it could do like be used to store and recall total comping edits inside the container.

Anyway. It's just a hope for later down the line and something most other daws also have now.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 AM   #61
Sexan

When SNAPPING is enabled if you click on marker it will move
Old 05-26-2022, 03:32 AM   #62
Zmey79

Default Something very strange with automation

Something very strange with automation:

https://disk.yandex.ru/i/RM5Yscngsobb_Q

In the video: When the area is not checked, then the automation is created without breaking off towards the end of the area. But if the area is marked, then the automation recording breaks off and is not recorded to the end. This has been happening for a long time, I'm still waiting for the updates to fix it.
Thank you.
Den.
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:08 AM   #63
Vagelis

Some concern that i have, If swipe comping is going to be supported in the future which i really hope so, I hope razor edit will not become the main tool for this and stay as a tool for editing.
I think it would be better to have a similar tool with RE for swipe comping so they don't interfere with each other.

An idea that I have for swipe comping:

Automatically switch from razor edits to a tool for comping. This tool for swipe comping could be activated when we hover the mouse over a region, and holding and dragging the mouse it would automatically create start/end markers for this region.
When the mouse is over a lane it would work as a normal RE for editing like so:

What's better and faster than having those 2 useful tools in one and change them automatically relative to the target.

Also about these triangles on lane add-area, they take too much space and it's impossible to draw a new item on it. Personally I would prefer if they could be removed.

Last edited by Vagelis; 05-26-2022 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:06 AM   #64
Sexan

Could "Fixed lane Region/play only lane" modifier act as a toggle (just like action "play only lane under mouse" action)? So it can do ON/OFF on click with only 1 modifier?

To be able to do this (this is combination of action of play only lane on shortcut and mouse modifier toggle play lane on lane region on click):

I know there is toggle also but that one activates any on click (I am a simple man with less modifiers to change/have)

Last edited by Sexan; 05-26-2022 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:09 AM   #65
_Stevie_

Agreed, that would be super convenient!
Old 05-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #66
musicbynumbers

Not sure if this has been mentioned and not had time to try it. I think there might be a use for a mouse modifier under "fixed lane play region" and "left drag" so that we can "paint" in a starting play marker and an second "ending" play marker on release.

I think Sexan showed this somehow before maybe? It might not be that useful but it's the first thing I looked for when getting deeper into this feature

EDIT: hmm . I guess the issue with this is that you are actually drawing into the normal arrange area so it would have to be a mouse modifier there instead.. going to check if it's there already lol

EDIT2: didn't find it so would love to have that. Did find the action "Item lanes: Insert fixed lane play markers and play only razor edit areas" which is useful too!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-26-2022 at 05:52 AM.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:55 AM   #67
musicbynumbers

eventually.. also have a way (via mouse modifier) to click and drag in between two play markers and move both of them at once (but not super urgent)

And bug mentioned before I think (but just in case) play markers are not copied or moved with razor edit if the track is so small it shows only one lane

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-26-2022 at 06:01 AM.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:04 AM   #68
musicbynumbers

Another bug that is probably not considered yet till the feature is done is that if you make a razor edit area that does include the play markers and then timestretch the items using razor edit. The play markers don't adjust their positions yet.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:35 AM   #69
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmey79 View Post
Something very strange with automation:

https://disk.yandex.ru/i/RM5Yscngsobb_Q

In the video: When the area is not checked, then the automation is created without breaking off towards the end of the area. But if the area is marked, then the automation recording breaks off and is not recorded to the end. This has been happening for a long time, I'm still waiting for the updates to fix it.
Thank you.
Den.
ah yeah, I think I replicated this, will look at fixing.

edit: should be fixed in 0526!

Last edited by Justin; 05-26-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #70
musicbynumbers

+ Recent projects: add option to have old project removed from recent list when using 'Save new version of project'

Just want to reiterate how thankful I am you added this in. Made a massive difference to the recents list! Thanks!
Old 05-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #71
Jae.Thomas

obviously this isn't a priority when it comes to implementing the media item lanes features, but it should be considered esp if there's something at the ground level that might need to be changed:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=180
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:57 AM   #72
ferropop

If there will be a "top track" implementation, it should of course be that.

If not, maybe a hidden "top track" that is an on-the-fly compilation of all the zones between the Play Markers.

Reaper is just reporting file references, offsets, and crossfade locations I assume? This can probably all be replicated with Play Markers replacing splits when feeding Melodyne what it needs.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:19 AM   #73
BartR

Because this is a DEV, I jsut post there 2 reminders, in case

Automatic Consequential Assignment with SEND
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=266342

Exploding multichannel audio items, should follow default template
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=266433

Thanks in advance
BartR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:06 AM   #74
BartR

Ok I understand I'm hopeless :-)
BartR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #75
Zmey79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Thank you Justin,
I checked, the problem is not solved, unfortunately (X64\Win 11).
Den.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #76
AZpercussion

Quote:
We'd like to support that eventually, but it won't be immediately.
Great news!) So, regarding multitrack editing, I suggest a feature that allows create razor area on multiple grouped tracks.
It could work not only with FL tracks.
I think, it's simple and visually clear way to do multitrack editing.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:01 AM   #77
Zmey79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Hi Justin,
it`s all ok with 6.59rc1 !
Thank you SOOO MUCH!!!