Old 12-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Default Midi note length filter

Is there any midi note filter VST that will allow me to limit the midi note lengths so that little tiny ghost notes or not recorded? If so I could put this online input effects so that any midi being recorded would not have these little tiny artifacts. Thanks for any ideas
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
cfillion

A live filter FX would require a considerable amount of latency (to delay all events until the minimum note length threshold has been met, dropping shorter notes).

If removing the tiny notes after recording them is fine too: The MIDI editor's Filter feature can select all notes below a given length.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
A live filter FX would require a considerable amount of latency (to delay all events until the minimum note length threshold has been met, dropping shorter notes).

If removing the tiny notes after recording them is fine too: The MIDI editor's Filter feature can select all notes below a given length.
I currently use a midi tool live to filter note ranges so I can send all notes of one range to one track and from another range to another track. It would seem to me that this is no different but I've been wrong before
Old 12-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
cfillion

MIDI notes are made of a Note On event followed by a corresponding Note Off event. Both events have the pitch information, so it's possible to immediately decide whether to let a note through based on a pitch range.

The note length is the time between the Note On and the Note Off events. The FX must wait until the Note Off arrives or the time threshold has been exceeded to make the decision. (The keyboard cannot predict when the human will lift his finger off the key after all.)

Last edited by cfillion; 12-01-2020 at 11:11 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
nzdutchie

If you look in the midi actions, there are actions that will "delete notes less than" various lengths, all the way from 1/8 notes to 1/256 notes. I use "delete all notes less than 1/32 notes" when I've recorded audio to midi. Good luck.
nzdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdutchie View Post
If you look in the midi actions, there are actions that will "delete notes less than" various lengths, all the way from 1/8 notes to 1/256 notes. I use "delete all notes less than 1/32 notes" when I've recorded audio to midi. Good luck.
Thank you yes I'm familiar with those but I was looking for a plug-in that could do them while recording and just not pass them through by using the input effects
Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
TonE

I know only midi_antiflam which removes short duplicate notes, but this is unfortunately not same, but almost.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
I know only midi_antiflam which removes short duplicate notes, but this is unfortunately not same, but almost.
Anti_flam counts time between notes and throws away notes that arrive to close to the previous note off message, whether these note are short or not. This is very different from what Coachz wants.

For an FX to determine whether a note should be thrown away or not, it has to count the time between when the note on and the note off occurs, which, just as cfillion says, means that the FX has to delay output of the note until the note minimum length has passed. Unless for very, very short times, this would not be usable for live playing.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Anti_flam counts time between notes and throws away notes that arrive to close to the previous note off message, whether these note are short or not. This is very different from what Coachz wants.

For an FX to determine whether a note should be thrown away or not, it has to count the time between when the note on and the note off occurs, which, just as cfillion says, means that the FX has to delay output of the note until the note minimum length has passed. Unless for very, very short times, this would not be usable for live playing.
Makes sense. It has to be delayed so not worth trying.

Last edited by Coachz; 12-01-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
carbon

Maybe an action that deletes the short notes on record stop could work?